Cross Country Trekkin' 2018
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Cross Country Trekkin' 2018

Cross Country Trekkin' 2018

As mentioned in another post, 2018 is the year for another "Great Big Adventure!" Wish I could say it was an annual event, but the last time I took 3 weeks off and traveled across country was for Burning Man back three (four?) years ago. There is So Much Planning To Do!!! I figured this was the perfect place to start my thread.

So the loose plan at this time is to ship the bike out to a Portland, Oregon Yamaha dealer, then fly out to pick it up, stock up on basic food stuff, and start my journey back home. Route plans are tentative at the moment, but I want to either go to Yellowstone or Yosemite park - both of which I've missed the last two times I've been out west. Not going to miss them again! I'd love to go to Yellowstone because I loved Wyoming. Such a beautiful state! But if I go to Yosimite, I'll pass through Reno where my aunt and uncle live. It's always good to see family Both are roughly the same distance from Oregon, so the choice really becomes, do I travel back to Wyoming, or head down the Seirra Nevada Range to see family on my way to Utah? , the more I type, the more I lean towards going to Yosimite. After Yellowstone/Yosimite, I'll head to Utah and ride through Moab area. If I'm still in one piece after that, I'll rent a van/truck/car with trailer, and hit the interstate to cut across mid-America to Chattanooga, Tennessee and start my way north along the Blue Ridge Parkway to Waynesboro, VA. From Waynesboro, it's less than a half day to get home.

Route 1.jpg Route 2.jpg Route 3.jpg Route 4.jpg

So anyway... here's my thread! I've got to go to work, but look forward to chatting with everyone about this journey.
    This is gonna be So Cool!
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

"Wow" I envy you!
    littletommy, Ken, SanDue and 1 others like this.

Planning??!! It's an adventure!! Just grab a cheese sandwich and hop on the bike and go!!

***Lunch is on me if you get near Spokane...
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you have time you could stop by Dual Sport Touring in Friendsville,TN and say hello.
    littletommy, LuvNot, Ken and 3 others like this.

If you choose this route, we're not too far off of it (just a couple miles from the looks of it) and you have a place to hang your helmet and rest if needed. Our shop space is open to you for any motorcycle storage and repair if needed and a soft guest bed for your sleepy time. Forum member grewen and grewen wife have stopped in with their camper in tow for a couple years now. Georgie is so old now I'm sure you could out run her (or out walk her in my case) so you wouldn't need to worry about getting eaten by our dog. She's just a barker, not a bite'r anyway. haha.

Anyway, just putting it out here for your knowledge and consideration should it fit your plans.

We tried to go into the east entrance (Tioga pass entrance I think) of Yosemite around the 4th of July but traffic to get in was backed up down the road. We heard the traffic was even worse inside the park. We couldn't even see the entrance shack it was so far away so we turned around and headed towards Fred's place in Reno for a short visit before heading home. I heard this morning the N.P. Service may in the future start taking reservations for some of the more heavily used parks such as Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Zion so keep and eye out for that info. It's only being proposed at this time so what exact parks and when it would be started has not been announced (if it ever will be). Just a heads up at this point.

Edit: I suppose I could include the map of the route I'm talking about eh?
    Last edited by admiral; 08-11-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    littletommy, Fred, ejfranz and 9 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Great plan LuvNot. While you didn’t mention anticipated time of year for your trip both Yellowstone and Yosemite can get horribly crowded in the summer months. Should you elect to go the northern route I would suggest budgeting time for Yellowstone’s neighboring National Park Gran Tetons. The geysers and fumeroles of Yellowstone are fascinating but I prefer the dramatic landforms of Gran Tetons. Gotta love those lonely early french fur trappers to name a place “Big Tits”. Gran Teton.jpg
    I rode into Yosemite this Monday and while crowded my avoiding the weekend likely avoided some of the appreciative masses. I was there for the full moon rise. Off hours helps too, after a certain time the average visitor heads back to dinner and accommodations leaving many of the main attractions somewhat deserted.

Whichever route you select you will likely be welcomed with kind offers from good folks like Admiral.
    Mel, ejfranz, littletommy and 6 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I was going to extend an invitation but I see The Admiral beat me to it! Guess we know who actually works when they're at work!.. giggle

I think you mentioned in the Moab thread that you were trying to time it so you could ride down there a few days with the group, I'm not sure if we'll make it in 2018 so we'll probably miss meeting you there. So, we would love to have you stop by here if you make it this way or we could meet you somewhere on your route and do some riding together.

Happy planning!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Admiral View Post
    I was going to extend an invitation but I see The Admiral beat me to it! Guess we know who actually works when they're at work!.. giggle
    admiral, Ken, SanDue and 1 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thank you, everyone, for the kind offers! I have to say, I am leaning towards going through Reno to see family, though. It's been ages since we last talked. It would be good to catch up with that branch of the family again. But no matter which way I go, I'm hoping to meet as many of you fine forum folks as I can along the way.

The trip timeline is anywhere between March and May. I want to go after taxes and before school lets out for the summer: timing it to get my refund to help pay for the trip and avoid crowds at the park and blazing hot weather in the desert regions. My other concern is weather at higher elevations during March/April/May timeline. I want to ride along the mountain range on the way south, but don't want to get caught in icy conditions. Any advice?
    Ken, littletommy, SanDue and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Very cool! That seems a little early to me. I would maybe think of doing it in reverse. Portland, the Pacific NW can still be wet and cold throughout spring. That's why we have gone to the spring Moab meet-up, to see some sun and warmth. It seems like kind of a crap shoot on weather going over the mountains and running south. It should be drier, but probably still cold and still a chance for winter weather. It really just depends on what "kind" of winter we have. Last winter there was tons of snow. Hard to plan. Sorry, don't mean to be a downer. Maybe some other Oregonians will have some better insight. I just want you to have the best trip and avoid being cold, wet, and miserable up in our corner.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links