The Dug Bar Attempt
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: The Dug Bar Attempt

The Dug Bar Attempt

Mrs. Admiral and I had the pleasure of traveling up to the Wallowa area of N.E. Oregon to ride with Mountain Yawp. After our arrival at the Mountain Yawp Headquarters, while the two Mrs. discussed stuff, Mountain Yawp and poured over the map for hours (ok minutes) and decided on a ride for the day. We decided to ride from MY HQ through the village of Imnaha down to Dug Bar on the Snake River.
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24211121

Dug Bar was a spot the Nez Perce Native Americans used to cross the Snake River from the now Oregon side of the Snake River to the Idaho side. There was also a sad part of the story/history when the Nez Perce crossed here in high water when forced to the reservation. https://www.nps.gov/nepe/learn/histo...r-and-1877.htm

For the first part of our ride, Mountain Yawp took us through a few different roads on the Zumwalt Prairie. There are many old cool looking homesteads.

I believe M.Y. mentioned a large part of the prairie was controlled by the Nature Conservancy. We ate lunch at an old ranch homestead owned/controlled by said Nature Conservancy. Got us out of the smoke filled sun and into the shade for lunch.

Kiosk out by the road at the ranch site.

Now is the part where I really really suck and let down Mrs. Mountain Yawp. I didn't take many more pictures because I took all kinds of video. I had the video camera on most of the time from Imnaha down to the we almost made it to Dug Bar turn around spot. Somewhere along the trail, I noticed the video camera wasn't recording and asked me to "insert disk". What the...insert disk? Looked at the camera and I had forgotten to insert a disk and didn't record a dog-gone-thing on the video camera. When we got back to M.Y. HQ, Mrs. M.Y. was pretty excited for me to post a ride report when I got back home. I hung my head and had to inform her of my video camera miscue.

...and to make it worse, we ran out of time and was chased back to M.Y. HQ by a thunderstorm. Yes, we rode a little bit in the rain without rain gear. Well, it was nice when we left. Oops!

So, what we have left here are just a few pictures as we traveled down the Imnaha River towards Dug Bar.

From a high point on the road this is looking down towards the Snake River but it's over the ridge you see down yonder.

Same spot looking back towards Imnaha. It was in the high 90's and we're pretty warm for sure.

Mountain Yawp sipping some water (I think) and our 3 TW's

At one point further down the road, I caught up to the other two who were stopped down into the river. There were 3 deer standing in the water but by the time I got my camera out (with the nonexistent video rolling I thought), only got a picture of two of them. Hey, I tried.

Here's an old bridge abutment when we had to cross the Imnaha River once. Besides the actual bridge we crossed, there were two of these old bridge abutment sites.

And we were oh so close before time and thunderstorms turned us back. I know I want to return someday so I can make it all the way to Dug Bar.

But all was not lost. Mrs. Admiral and I didn't leave empty handed from our venture to the Wallowa. I may have came home with something extra!

Needs a few things tweaked, fixed, changed but I took it up the driveway and back yesterday and it ran pretty good. From a cold start, it started for me on the second kick (no e-button on a 1983 XT200).

Couple notes from the ride. The footpegs suck just as bad as the TW. However, it's much more comfortable when standing. The handle bar is much higher. Here's a couple photo's Mountain Yawp sent to me prior to my kidnapping.

Much lighter than a TW too!

And that's what we did on the weekend before the eclipse weekend which is the day after the weekend before the eclipse.
    jtstdub, TopPredator, Mel and 19 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Nice score on the XT, some might say it even has the right seat color.
    littletommy, Ken, admiral and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks for posting the ride report. My wife enjoyed reading it and had a few laughs, even if it didn't have all of the great video. I will post the few pics I have soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

wow, Kris. great minds think alike, I picked up a 1998 xt last week. one with a traditional blue seat. l'll have a great little TDub for sale soon
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

A few pics from my view of the trip to (almost) Dug Bar.

Here is one on the way to the lunch spot. If you look close at the distant hill, you can see the some of the road from where we had come.
    qeO0vHKlsAXcrfRxrU2m6IztydkB5XdcDcvBd7x0_xl4fqC02zmIlQBdo1Wf6TBT_vNROuvHiRgo86lHc7vzYB7tdtAzHci9.jpg

Here are a couple from the bottom the canyon leaving the Zumwalt Prairie on our way to Imnaha. It was nice to see how green it was in the draws and canyons compared to the dry August grass of the prairie.
    3j_Z3US-CzsHg5PxS7KKKGN_Tyk8q38-mQMHeClVOSu7gr3VfYYh8khaVAhRA4HtJCUjSpSqfNTdQQaygkem1MYE8Z0CycJ8.jpg
    siKbUUKu8v0OseHC3W0OLDaOHrGnUkUFcTqTxPl31A76Ahq9OX8dCMaUl5oMN3wmzP_PO_8BV2iSugn0M6Jq8zbonKK1X5ak.jpg

The Admirals looking out over our path ahead toward Dug Bar.
    f-d-j7xH1YnqAhA1Yr3mXUuSPVnMDnzCyuwy6FwsR3GEZj38-QFarXn7FSpBxbs-knNew65WSmCM7Mc1--dtn-YfzxjftCqQ.jpg

It was great to go riding with such great people and see some amazing country.
    littletommy, Fred, joeband and 4 others like this.

A side note from the ride:
    I somehow managed to get the most incredible gas mileage that I have ever experienced on my TW. I filed up right at the start of our ride and made the entire trip plus a few more miles the next day before filling up with gas. Here are some pics for proof:
    1sJYK5OZhD2QQh1EXKjKeX9cm_n01eQ1vdLardSMqCYZqiAn3y6LddzviGOXzTviHgwNuuxziWGCfRZkcq4iYpR-SsS3M4jg.jpg

7mhugHAqc_AZOT3E6kdJ6p6i0dV-FHpX4OhZTX4GO4bb_afQgo95GspOB04sjFR8WPMCQS9CI55V1jHZhesTnC0phg_QHWVh.jpg

For the math: 149.5 miles/1.618 gallons = 92.4 MPG!

To be sure my numbers were accurate, I filled the tank to overflowing (accidentally) following the ride.
    How did this happen, I don't know? There was a lot of down hill in the ride but we finished where we started, so that means that there was an equal amount of up hill. I did maybe 4-5 miles of engine-off coasting on the down hills, but not 20 miles of it. I was running about 15 PSI in both tires so I didn't have super low rolling resistance. I have stock chain and sprockets.
    I am wondering if the Admiral put some gas in my TW when I wasn't looking?

Here is the sunset that I happened to catch after filling up.

yvYDxmJm6D-3AzEWdXUJmiuydQhY6QwLS7TIvMKYL52QcWk0iyDMj71WzoVd369dh90um3BF-ghnRjgdZfGBzWMCWWfQ8CAA.jpg
    littletommy, admiral, Mel and 1 others like this.

Awesome adventure. Thanks for sharing!
    admiral and jtomelliott49 like this.

Love those old homesteads. Thanks for sharing.
    admiral and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    If it works good, it's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    wow, Kris. great minds think alike, I picked up a 1998 xt last week. one with a traditional blue seat. l'll have a great little TDub for sale soon

Mine is an "addition to" and not a replacement. Sad to see your TW go but you gotta do what you gotta do. Also, mine is an XT200 and not 225 or 250. The right side of the lower engine looks identical to the TW but the Cylinder/head is different. The header pipe/exhaust comes out of the head differently. Hope you enjoy your new to you XT, XT225 I assume.
    grewen and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Nice score on the XT, some might say it even has the right seat color.
    Took the XT on a short ride out in the back 40 to warm up the oil for an oil change. While the carb and engine need a tune up/cleaning, the power seemed about like the TW. The only difference in feel for me right now is probably related to the sprocket combination which I haven't checked yet. It was a little squirrely in the puffy dust, sand and on the gravel but I'm sure a lot of this is because I'm not used to skinny tires. The XT is a whole lot lighter than the TW. Has me thinking it would be better on the difficult mountain trails being lighter an all. I mentioned it before but I really like the standing position as I don't have to lean over as much to hold onto the handle bars. Lots to learn though. Oh, and the oil poured out of the engine like coffee. Mountain Yawp told me it needed an oil change and he was right. Ground clearance seems the same as the TW, just skinnier.

Mountain Yawp presented me with an accurate assessment of the XT's condition and running status so I know what needs fixing.

PS, kick start only but starts right up from 1 to 4 kicks. Easy Peasy, I'd even shut it off on breaks it's so easy to start. Not like my son's KTM.
    grewen and jtomelliott49 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links