I've seen bears before but. . .
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yesterday I was in a new arroyo near the base of the mountains about 50 yards from the bike, walking head down scouting for yard rocks and up popped the cutest little fellow from under a juniper tree. He was so small, I first tried to id him as a small fox or coyote, but logic prevailed and said it was a black bear cup (fuzzy and brown though). He responded to me and drifted up a side of the arroyo and I thinking of mom and not knowing where she was, drifted back toward the bike and to the top of the slope so I could see further. The trail where I was is sufficiently rough that I'm dubious whether even the TW could have outrun the moma bear. No camera so no photos, but it was pretty cool and exciting at the same time. Its real dry now and I'm betting the bears are coming down from the pine forests to get into the cactus fruits that are just maturing. When they are eating prickly pear fruits (bright red) you find these huge loose pools of pinkish red stools - it must give them the bear trots. There will be acorns later in the summer, but cactus fruits or grasshoppers are the only logical food in the area at present.

I never saw mom but did watch the little one trundle across from one arroyo to another before I went to yet another arroyo for rock collecting. Just thought I'd share my good fortune. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Hey Tom! Thanks for sharing it. Glad you didn't have to outrun any Mama bear! And..glad that neither did we. My wife and I were hiking yesterday on a great dirt riding trail in Crested Butte, CO (Double Top Trail / Walrod) and saw a large black/brown bear 20 yards in front of us, drinking from the stream. He just slowly moseyed off up the mountainside.

Nice story Tom. Glad you got out of the area safe and sound. Seems like many times, my best camera opportunities are when I don't have the camera. Still, I can imagine what it was like with your discription. I think if mama bear showed up and was a little irritated, you could always pull the TW on top of you for protection. Maybe! For many years I thought it would be no problem for me to outrun a bear, if caught in that predicament. Then I saw one in real life run away from me. I changed my thinking. I ain't out runn'in a bear unless it has one leg, and even then...
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I am surprised at how many bears, or indications of bears I have seen. My rides generally start five to ten miles from the house. I see prints, dropping and from time to time, the whole critter. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Nice story Tom. Glad you got out of the area safe and sound. Seems like many times, my best camera opportunities are when I don't have the camera. Still, I can imagine what it was like with your discription. I think if mama bear showed up and was a little irritated, you could always pull the TW on top of you for protection. Maybe! For many years I thought it would be no problem for me to outrun a bear, if caught in that predicament. Then I saw one in real life run away from me. I changed my thinking. I ain't out runn'in a bear unless it has one leg, and even then...
    Hey Admiral,

I keep a cheap disposal flash camera tethered behind my cowling for just that reason. I've broken several good cameras, run over or stepped on my camera phones, or just lost the camera bouncing around. Discovered the local drugstore will turn the disposable box camera into a high quality CD for about $3.50. I run a wire tie through the cardboard, and clip on a lanyard. Since the view finders are basic junk, you simply use them to aim with. If you lose the camera, you really ain't out much.

Guns and cameras use the same logic. Always better to have one with you and not need it, than to NOT have one when you need one!
    Huntsville, Alabama - Have TW, Will Ride! All White 09 TW, D2Moto Pegs, Bridgestone 302 front tire, 2" higher bars, 3/4" fork preload spacer, 5wt Honda fork oil, 135mm fork oil level, exhaust tip mod, 2.5 turns out fuel mixture, 0.060 in needle shims, 130 main jet, 14/47 sprockets, 20w-50 Valvoline MC full synthetic oil, ImmixRacing rear rack, Bilt Bag on Rack, 1" front fender spacers, Battery Tender connections on new battery (installed 12/11), Coleman ATV seat cushion, 2 Agri Supply tool tubes, 30oz MSR Fuel Bottle, auxiliary 6 LED tail light, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 headlight bulb, 2357 turn signals, and Superbright's 1157 LED Motorcycle Tail Light Bulb with 19 red & 6 white LEDs. Shortened rear turn signals. Bypassed kickstand switch.

Plus a "new to me" 1995 Yamaha Virago XV 750G for Pavement Purposes!!

So Tom, you have bear charisma? Nice if you can turn it off when tent camping . . .

BMc, good idea.

My Wonderful Wife has a small digital camera about the size of a deck of cards, great pics and even video. . . thinking about picking up one for me so I don't have to haul the Canon everywhere.

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

Very cool!

Last night the wife and I were on a short ride about 5 miles from the house when we got to watch a spectacular show put on by a couple of beavers, one very large and one quite small. The wildlife is out and moving, and they sure don't mind the sound of my TW200
    ITCB

Quote Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
    So Tom, you have bear charisma? Nice if you can turn it off when tent camping . . .

BMc, good idea.

My Wonderful Wife has a small digital camera about the size of a deck of cards, great pics and even video. . . thinking about picking up one for me so I don't have to haul the Canon everywhere.

Bag
    My MP3 player does photos and video, but like my bigger dedicated cameras, isn't always with me, usually stuffed in a pocket or pouch for safety. I relied on my camera phone, until I found it under my boot. I dropped a disposable at 55 on the pavement so it was pretty roughed up when I found it. Surprise, but it worked just fine and the pictures turned out fine. I finally gave up on big cameras when my Rebel actually bashed me in the face shield in the middle of a rough stretch.
    Huntsville, Alabama - Have TW, Will Ride! All White 09 TW, D2Moto Pegs, Bridgestone 302 front tire, 2" higher bars, 3/4" fork preload spacer, 5wt Honda fork oil, 135mm fork oil level, exhaust tip mod, 2.5 turns out fuel mixture, 0.060 in needle shims, 130 main jet, 14/47 sprockets, 20w-50 Valvoline MC full synthetic oil, ImmixRacing rear rack, Bilt Bag on Rack, 1" front fender spacers, Battery Tender connections on new battery (installed 12/11), Coleman ATV seat cushion, 2 Agri Supply tool tubes, 30oz MSR Fuel Bottle, auxiliary 6 LED tail light, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 headlight bulb, 2357 turn signals, and Superbright's 1157 LED Motorcycle Tail Light Bulb with 19 red & 6 white LEDs. Shortened rear turn signals. Bypassed kickstand switch.

Plus a "new to me" 1995 Yamaha Virago XV 750G for Pavement Purposes!!

BuddyMc, after reading about your disposable camera idea, it got me thinking about an old digital I had stuffed away in a box. Drug it out, put a sock around it, and stuffed it into my tank bags. Now I'll have a camera (most of the times) when riding. Your idea reminded me so thanks.

Now, I'll have a camera to capture the Bear moments. Of course with a camera at the ready, I'll most likely not see bears while out riding anymore. That's my luck!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Came across this critter about 5 years ago. I think Saskia and I were in the Baja Bug, but still feeling pretty exposed without a roof and doors. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links