Pickles and Faulty Critical Thinking
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By admiral

Thread: Pickles and Faulty Critical Thinking

pickĀ·le (p k l)

n.

1. An edible product, such as a cucumber, that has been preserved and flavored in a solution of brine or vinegar.

2. A solution of brine or vinegar, often spiced, for preserving and flavoring food.

3. A chemical solution, such as an acid, that is used as a bath to remove scale and oxides from the surface of metals before plating or finishing.

4. Informal A disagreeable or troublesome situation; a plight. See Synonyms at predicament.

5. Baseball A rundown.

For the purposes of this post, I will concentrate my topic discussion on - 4. Informal, A disagreeable or troublesome situation.

When I get into a trouble spot, I refer to it as "getting into a pickle".

Several years ago while riding ALONE without telling anyone where I was going; I got myself into a pickle. Only later did I discover that I had broken my foot...while gunning it out of a creek bed, TW sliding to the right, TW launching out of the creek bed...quickly...and right foot striking large rock, or should I say boulder! I have told Truelight the full story. This was my first pickle on the TW, which ended ok despite the broken foot.

Now on to the present PICKLE, and I wasn't alone this time. I didn't omit this information from my previous post on our ride to Hawley on purpose, but when I got back home I discovered some damage to the TW and thought I would share my newest pickle story.

Sequence of events and some thought processes, and faulty thinking!

Last year while hunting, I walked up this ridge and discovered a "road" halfway up the ridge. This year on our way to our camping spot we passed this "road" and I mentioned to my wife that we need to drive down the "road" because there is a really neat overlook spot.

Fault #1, Not being able to remember or remember things correctly.

So, later that evening we headed down this "road" to take in the views. It didn't take long for me to realize what I thought was a "road" last year was nothing more than an ATV trail this year...and my wife agreed, with a bit of concern on her face. I recognize this facial expression as "where are you taking me, and on what road" look!

Fault #2 Lack of obstacle recognition.

As we proceeded down the ridge, it became steeper and steeper and the wife was hanging back a bit because of the dust. Then I approached a potential obstacle, "buck brush". Buck bush had taken over the trail. I can see a small opening so, I went through it anyway!

After clearing the buck brush, there in front of me lies the steepest portion of the trail with a deep washout rut right smack dab in the middle of the road...err, I mean trail! But what do I really see...yes, down at the end of this steep, steep trail I see the beautiful spot I've been looking for.

Fault #3, Lack of obstacle recognition and focusing on the light at the end of the tunnel.

So, I proceed down the trail. Did I mention that it was steep? Make it about 10 feet. Oops, the side of the trail is like sandy limestone and my front tire slips into the rut. I can't get out of the rut. I turn the tire to the right, then left. No luck, the tire keeps plowing and without traction I stop. I get off the TW thinking I can walk it down the hill. Boy, the TW gets awfully heavy when I'm struggling to get out of the rut, pointing downhill, barley able to keep the TW stopped and upright.

Crap, I remember the wife is behind me just breaking through the buck brush. I turn around and tell her to stop. I tell (ask) her to turn around if she can. When can I stop the momentum of faulty thinking? Sure I can, but with more effort than I thought too! So, I lay the TW down. It slides a foot downhill because of course I lay it down on a rock and being so steep there is nothing to stop it while perched on a rock.

I'M KNEE DEEP IN A PICKLE NOW!

The wife can't turn the ATV around without my help cause it's steep and the ATV is in the rut also. I decide to finish walking the TW down the hill, and go back up and help her turn around. With that accomplished I head back down the hill to the TW.

I catch my breath, take a look up the hill and try to figure out how I'm going to get back up. Should I walk the TW uphill, letting the clutch out using the TW to help or try riding up? At this point I am remembering the thread about the "long steep uphill climb".

Fault #4, Total lack of critical thinking...

So I hop on, rev up the engine and take off up the hill. Do I make it? Of course not! About 3/4 way up the tire spins, and then the engine bogs down. I end up walking the TW with letting the clutch and engine help...but still was a struggle.

After this bit of adventure, we head back up the "road" ha ha, and go to the lookout for some sunset views.

When I got home and unloaded, I noticed some scratches on the right side of the TW. At first I thought I had put the TW to close to the ATV on the trailer and they rubbed together. But when I looked a little closer I see some sandy rock looking substance. I now realize this damage was when I laidd the TW down and it slide on the rock. Oops!

So, have I learned something from getting myself into a pickle? You bet...until next year!

littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Aww, man, now you have some "battle scars" on your TW too... (Better than on your body though. You didn't mention personal injury, other than to your pride, so I'm taking that to mean you escaped unscathed, yes?)

I am amazed that you found a hill so steep that the TW in first gear couldn't climb it. Of course on sandy soil, I can understand lack of traction, not pulling power, was likely the problem. I'll look forward to the whole tale told again over a burger and a brew this Saturday when the Idaho riders get together. Sorry about the bike but glad you're ok.

Great story Admiral. It is one thing to get yourself in a 'pickle' but to involve someone else can be a major 'faux pas'. MUCH worse should it be the Little Lady.

I suspect at some point, I will end up on my head with a broken something, but when I come across something like this, I generally say to myself, "do I need to get there that bad. Thanks again, you get a +1 for this. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Gerry and Truelight,

Ah, the good news, no one got hurt in the making of this adventure, with exception as Truelight pointed out, pride. The wife didn't rub it in, guess she loves me. Should I encounter a "road" like the one you have pictured, I may very well turn around unless it was a necessity I use it. Boy, that looks like one tough "road". Is it one of those Rubicon roads I've heard you and others mention?

Another note to my "Pickle", which I forgot to mention. Remembered it when Truelight and I met today for lunch. When I headed back up the hill, and didn't make it and had to walk the TW up using it's power for help, I crossed a downed barb wire fence that started to wrap around the rear. Fortunately, I heard it start to happen and cut power, but not before a little wrapping of wire occured.

The wife walked back down, held the TW upright while I cut the wire off with my trusty (shameless product plug) "Gerber" multipliers, w/wire cutter, thank goodness. Then on my way. Isn't it nice when we get into pickles. Its usually not just one thing, but a multiplication of things that seem to pile on!

I'll have to let you know what the wife thinks of the adventure when we go on our next ride together. If I get a bunch of questions from her like; "what is our exact route" and "what are the trail conditions", then I will know she is concerned about my route planning, which normally aren't to bad. However, I must prove myself, I think she still remembers two cut trailer tires on our past Buck Park Cabin adventure.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I would say you two have a nicely balanced relationship. kudos for having the Gerber at the ready.

Should you be speaking of my photo, yes. I rode only a couple of hundred feet of the Rubicon with Tony the day before and felt it was to 'extreme' for me. The next day I waved good-bye to the group and found myself alone on another section of the Rubicon. I did not feel compelled to venture any further than the photo. I suspect, what I did not see, was MUCH ROUGHER. (use care Adam). Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

multi-tool to the rescue!
    '01 TW200: Tusk D-Flex Handguards w/ Spoilers, Pro Taper Grips, LEDs in Idiot Lights, Headlight Rockguard, Stearns Seat Pad, Oversized Footpegs and a Loud Ass Horn -SOLD
    '91 TW200: Bone Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
    Great story Admiral. It is one thing to get yourself in a 'pickle' but to involve someone else can be a major 'faux pas'. MUCH worse should it be the Little Lady.

I suspect at some point, I will end up on my head with a broken something, but when I come across something like this, I generally say to myself, "do I need to get there that bad. Thanks again, you get a +1 for this. Gerry

That's not a trail...it's a "dry waterfall!!"

very rough stuff, if you ever find yourself in ridgway pa ask about a place called devils den theirs a Few ruff parts to the trail like that but its well worth it wen you get there.

Sponosred Links