Moonrise Over Mono
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Moonrise Over Mono

Moonrise Over Mono

Leaving the Sweetwater Goup Ride the other week I decided to catch that night’s full moon rise somewhere in the Sierras. So rather than turn north and head home I headed south on HWY 395 which skirts the eastern sierra escarpment. A quick hot springs soak later and off I went squeaky clean and relaxed.

No problem finding interesting diversions as I worked my way south...

This is land of dramatic thrust faulting which brings together rocks of diverse age, origin and tortured histories..
    I could have easily tossed the anchor out and camped here but I was down in a bit of a hole with mountains blocking the moon’s ascent. This was a hard campsite to beat and I may have to return sometime. However I still seeked the dramatic moonrise.

So into Yosemite National Park and over Tioga Pass I went but things were too smokey from wildfires on the Pacific side. So depressing after the sweet clean clear air in the Sweetwaters.
    Still nice though. This is Tioga Lake inside Yosemite Park

Abandoning the idea to unload and ride through the moonlit park I retreated east out of the park and ended up at a favorite place high above Mono Lake. This aspen lined tunnel on the way up will turn to blazing orange in another month as fall colors develop.
    Should have ridden one more time that day but I needed a break after my fifth day. So I just watched the moonrise then crawled into van for a good night’s sleep. Next day a pair of Marine Osprey tilt rotor aircraft roared past below me while I was having my morning coffee. What a finale to a nice TW themed vacation.

The highway department has an array of these propane fired blast cannons whose concussion loosens snow buildup for controlled avalanches onto the 395 highway some thousand feet below located between lakeshore and fault escarpment...

They have telemetry stations to video the resulting blast, slide, and perhaps the occassional flaming raccoon shooting out of the tubes..
    Neat place. While I didn’t unload the bike this time I have used this as a TW base camp before for a fall TW ride into Yosemite Valley.
    Mono Lake is a big desert lake with no outflow. Falling lake levels have revealed photogenic Tufa formations along the lake shore making the place a popular tourist destination. Unfortunately falling waters have also revealed convenient causeways to the islands making them a popular coyote destinations to munch on endangered nesting birds. This year islands are once again isolated from coyote predators by record run off into the lake. Bird lovers are happy, tufa lovers are less happy.

Last edited by Fred; 08-25-2017 at 12:57 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

You must live on your bike Fred. Do you go home once in awhile at least?
    Ken, Bobo413 and jtstdub like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

What a beautiful trip!

I've only driven that stretch of 395 once, and I've always wanted to go back and spend some more time there.

Between your Mono Lake trip and Sandue's Bodie trip, I'm convinced that TWs are a great way to explore the eastern Sierras!
    littletommy, Mel, Ken and 1 others like this.
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nice post. Thanks
    littletommy, Ken and Bobo413 like this.

Sweet! thanks for the photos....and story!
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

When we drove by Mono Lake it looked bleak and uninhabitable. I would rename it Moon Lake because it looks like you're on the moon, just don't look back to the west where the nice Sierra Mountains are.

Without your saying so, I would never have guessed what those avalanche cannons were. Thanks for 'splaining it for us "dumbfounders".

I wish I could stay up long enough to see the moon in the sky. It looks so peaceful.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Yellow 1.5 inch gas lines as well as these igniter circuitry were give aways as to the purpose of these “tubes” at top of obvious avalanche chute above highway. mono cannon.jpgigniter.jpg

About a mile away are extensive remains of the old Log Cabin Mining Company mine and mill. DSC_0089.JPG
    DSC_0139.JPG

Make sure you park accordingly. parking.jpg
    While fascinating the site is full of hazards. Open shafts, mercury, crumbling stairs, etc...
    admiral, littletommy, Ken and 3 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

"While fascinating the site is full of hazards. Open shafts, mercury, crumbling stairs, etc..."

That's what we like.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Here Admiral, something to watch when the boss isn’t looking: Bet you didn’t know original gold was discovered by a squirrel. Keep an eye on those chipmonks!
    Last edited by Fred; 08-26-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    Ken, Bobo413 and admiral like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

If you want to make a black powder cannon there appearently stilll are lots of cannon balls laying around from the ball mill.small_5D3_0757_tweak.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 08-26-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    Ken, Bobo413 and jtstdub like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links