Roll'n Down Chipmunk Road
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Roll'n Down Chipmunk Road

Roll'n Down Chipmunk Road

I wanted to make the title sound really dramatic like rolling down thunder road but there's only so much I can do with the word "Chipmunk" but I did my best.

Just a short after-work ride where I started on Chipmunk Rd. in the Owyhee Mtns. just off Hwy 95. Chipmunk road is eventually blocked by a landowner, so I ended up wandering all over the general area. After a short break back at the truck, I traveled west towards Rockville, Or, Mahogany Gap and returned. There was a little excitement on my return as a wildfire had started in the French Glen area since passing by earlier in the day. I didn't start it!

I did take a photo of the map but otherwise, no GPS needed

Saw this lava rock type pit looking thing and decided to ride up and take a look

I didn't make it. My rear tire just spun in the rocks.

I walked up a ways. I lost my breath. I'm out of shape...still.

A gate I could go through. I dropped down into the Succor Creek Reservoir area from here (on the other side of the gate). I found to trails I thought could take me out without backtracking. The first one headed east and not the direction I wanted to go. Looking at the google earth, I could have made it maybe, if the gate Gods would allow. Next time.

Instead, I rode up this neat trail, sometimes in the creek bed. Yep, it's a no-go as I ran into a locked gate. "Private Property", the sign said to me in a deep sounding mean voice...in my head. I did see a couple Mule Deer at the top of the ridge though. Oh, and 4 more deer on my way in but you'll have to see them in the video.

Out the way I came in and headed back up Chipmunk road only to see another welcoming (not) private property-road closed sign.

What to do. Humm, I passed a not so used trail back down the road aways. I found it.

Then back to the truck through some neat riding. You'll have to watch the video to see it though as I had my Kung Foo Gripe on going up and down some steep ridges.

Funny, at some point my iphone doohicky clock thinks it's in the Pacific Time Zone but this area on the Idaho/Oregon border is in the Mountain Time Zone. I look at the sun and it looks later but my phone says it's only 1730 so off I go and head into Oregon Territory.

This is what remains of the old Rockville Stage Stop. I've seen it called "The Rocks" stage stop on some maps. This stage stop is still in Idaho. Rockville School and area is in Oregon.

There is a pioneer grave nearby but I didn't know it at the time and didn't see it.

Here's what the stage stop looked like back in the day. It was burned by vandals in the 1960's. Dummies.

A little history if you want to read it: united states ghost towns

I sensed the time on my phone wasn't right so I picked up the pace and quickly rode the Mahogany Gap Rd. loop only to stop once at this old rock structure. I have no idea what it was. Looks too small to be a cabin but I dunno. I did see a few more mule deer up by Mahogany Gap and on an old bypassed seciton of Hwy 95. Both are in the video though.

After loading up and heading home, I saw a glow off in the distance. At first I didn't think anything of it. As I got closer I soon discovered it was a wildfire near the French Glen Highway weigh station at the junction of Hwy 95 and Sommer Camp road. This area had burned a couple years ago in a 200,000 plus acre fire and here it was burning again. As I passed by the weigh station I could see the fire had burned up to the road...or started from the road! Humm, I've seen smokers still throwing the cigarrette butts out the vehicle windows...during fires season no less. We'll see if they can find out how it started.

And that's how I spent some time after work one day.

By the way, I saw lots of Mule Deer but not one single chipmunk. Huh, wonder why they named it Chipmunk Rd? haha
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Cool ride report (as always) from you.
    I like that Ghost Town link. My work will be suffering as I get deeper and deeper into it. Thank-you.

Impressive Ghost Town Link. Interestingly enough the list while rather extensive it is by no means all inclusive. California and Nevada listings have many omissions.
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nice ride. So if your ATV rear wheeled TW would not get up the rocky section, I wonder what common vehicle would make it up?
    admiral and littletommy like this.

Does look like a place you would want 4 p.s.i. in the Cerros creeping along in first gear under-driven by something like 13x65 tooth sprockets.
    Maybe one could make it a few more yards by crawling over each cobble while trying not to spit too many of them out the rear. Those rock glaciers are energy sapping nightmaresIMG_1821.JPG
    admiral, Elvesus and littletommy like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

As always, thanks for taking the time to share! Very cool area
    littletommy and admiral like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    Cool ride report (as always) from you.
    I like that Ghost Town link. My work will be suffering as I get deeper and deeper into it. Thank-you.
    One thing I noticed about the stage stop building was how much stone it was made of. Very little of the stone walls remain today as seen in my pictures. Surely the vandal fire didn't destroy them so I imagine most of the rock wall stones have been removed. (taken).
    littletommy and Swingarm like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Does look like a place you would want 4 p.s.i. in the Cerros creeping along in first gear under-driven by something like 13x65 tooth sprockets.
    Maybe one could make it a few more yards by crawling over each cobble while trying not to spit too many of them out the rear. Those rock glaciers are energy sapping nightmaresIMG_1821.JPG
    Yeah, not all ghost town lists are complete. This stage stop was on this link I posted and at least one other as well as some other various forums and blogs. For report here I just picked one which looked informative.

The "rock pit" was hard to walk in even in the flat areas. There were some other similar areas nearby which had old BLM signs which said "Community Pit". Looking around it was obviously not a dump so must have been more like a help yourself quarry.

Location was in a strange place so far from civilization. Not recently used for sure.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain yawp View Post
    Nice ride. So if your ATV rear wheeled TW would not get up the rocky section, I wonder what common vehicle would make it up?
    I'm guessing an old Dodge Powerwagon made it back in the day. Four paws would make climbing these rocks easy. Being alone I knew when to surrender. Haha
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    As always, thanks for taking the time to share! Very cool area
    I was thankful for not seeing any rattle snakes either. Or heard
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links