Moose Creek II-Dang Chipmunks
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Moose Creek II-Dang Chipmunks

Moose Creek II-Dang Chipmunks

We liked the area up near Bovill, ID so much we decided to go back for seconds. The Strychnine fire started at the western end of the trails we were gonna ride so we had to improvise. We ended up riding on part of the old Washington, Idaho & Montana RR rail bed into Bovill, rode thru and north of town. A leaking tire on Mrs. Admiral's TW on our way back got our attention. About 7 miles from camp I went back and retrieved an air pump and spare tire for her TW. Only needed the air for her to make it. Back home I found a 2-3 inch long piece of metal stuck in her tire. I also did some scouting around the local trails around camp for any future visits. We like riding up here!

First, you must learn to kick start it! We took the XT200 with us as the girls have expressed an interest in riding. The XT200 is much lighter so possibly it will be better to learn on. Success!

A Chipmunks perspective of camp (or bear). Now, where did they leave the bag of cashews at?

Road closed? The sign wasn't there last night when we pulled in. I went out for an early morning scout mission on the XT while the camp was still silent. Later I found out from the campground host there was a fire west of here. We were gonna ride the trails west but with the closure, we would ride elsewhere.

Watch out for landmines! Right at camp, I found a trail I was unaware of on our first visit.

After the scout mission, Mrs. Admiral and I head out on the TW's for our day's adventure ride. A very rutted trail leads to and from one of the several old abandoned open pit mines all over the area.

A pond has taken over part of the open pit mine.

Nice puppy. While wondering around logging roads, we decided to head east and get out of the puffy dust. Mrs. Admiarl headed off and I stayed behind on account of the dust. Looked down where we stopped and I found this very very large track. Yup, Mr. Wolf is in the neighborhood.

We visit the relatives at the local cemetery. Just not "our" relatives.

Trust me! Mrs. Admiral puts a lot of trust in my navigational skills. I'd better not let her down. (p.s. I don't really know where we are at this point).

Still wondering. I hope Mrs. Admiral doesn't think I'm lost and need to stop and ask for directions. The neighborhood might be a little sketchy! eeks!

Hey, they got airmail service here. Can't be that backward of an area right?

I found a road. Just happens to be an old railroad. So we take it and find this still in shape trestle over the Potlatch River. This was part of the old Washington, Idaho, & Montana RR. There are lots of old railroad grades in the region.

Railroad bed led us back into Bovill

This is the view we're looking at across the highway above and what it looked like back in the day. This part of the RR was abandoned/rails removed about 1997.

to be continued
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Gotta kill some time. Too early to go back to camp we decide to continue riding northish of Bovill. As we were riding through town I spotted this TW in the City Park. To try and get the owners attention, we stopped in the park at a water faucet to get water and see if the owner comes out of the camper to talk. Turns out he/she wasn't home as I spotted this TW on a hitch carrier all loaded up to go home on our return back thru town.

We have a situation. As we headed back to camp we noticed Mrs. Admiral's rear tire was getting softer than we wanted. We weren't that far from camp and tried to baby the TW back. It was getting too soft to ride and I didn't want the tire to separate from the rim so with about 7 miles to go, Mrs. Admiral stopped roadside and I went back for an air pump and spare tire.

I get back and air up here tire to give it a go. It worked and we headed back.

Fires everywhere! With so many fires near and far throughout the Pacific Northwest and B.C. Canada, our moon was a little dim orange as we got close to sleepy time.

I've been robbed! The next morning I discover a bear or most likely a chipmunk has gotten into my tank bag and illegally absconded with my cachews from the day before. I should have known. Chipmunks have been after me since my Chipmunk road ride a few weeks ago.

It was time for another scout mission with the XT before camp started stirring for the day.

I was onto something. Here is a "non-factory" made ATV cattle guard pass through. Found an ATV trail for future exploring, bonus! Can you hear the banjos now?

XT200 has a 6-volt electrical system. I haven't found a replacement yet. Or did I? Nothing like a little "Metal Plate Duck Tape" to make it look good. I like it!

Well that about does it for this adventure. I liked the neighbors truck and had to get a photo

And got a little artsy.

Smoke everywhere. Top of Lewiston Hill looking down into the Lewiston-Clarkston Valley. Took this on the way home from camp

And when I got home...

this is what caused the leaking tire.

Till next time.
    Last edited by admiral; 09-06-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Wow; a good 6"s of metal there.

And now you know why the Chipmunks stole your nuts. You emptied their food storage bin on the XT before you came up.

Did you have Ride-On in her tire?
    admiral, SanDue, Ken and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by old w/?? View Post
    Wow; a good 6"s of metal there.

And now you know why the Chipmunks stole your nuts. You emptied their food storage bin on the XT before you came up.

Did you have Ride-On in her tire?
    Nope. First flat tire on a motorcycle. Took 12 years to get one. I've been thinking of getting ride-on for 10 years. I get to learn a new skill, tubeless tire plug repair.11doh.gif

That morning, Mrs. Admiral and I separately thought of taking the air compressor. Not because of what happened but because my front tire was almost flat when we got to camp. I didn't have a problem with my tire.encore.gif

Wisha-coulda-shoulda, I'd drive myself nuts thinking of things I could or should take with me on a ride. Where was forum member Eric with his air pump and other cool stuff he brings on a ride.

p.s. I did have steel-stick with me just in case a rock jumps up and puts a hole in the side-cover.
    Ken, littletommy and SanDue like this.

Oohhh; once again we have the male species practicing surgery on the female's ride - before ever trying it out on their own. Sneaky them males they be!!!
    SanDue, admiral, Ken and 1 others like this.

Damn – I’m as jealous a hell at those rides – likewise some of Freds – we just don’t get that terrain over here

As much as I like the Island, it doesn’t present the challenges you guys get, Sure, there are some “steep hills” that often require the “reverse braking technique” – where you skid the bike into reverse, look into the rear view mirror, and think “Oh Shit” as you slide backwards towards the void – and some of those “voids” are 200 feet straight over the edge

But it lacks the paw prints of Wolves, or casually noticing Bear scat as you go past – though the “pucker factor” is possibly the same – the “same old” 33:1 descents only vary according to weather conditions (and frog migration) to the point where it becomes repetitive somehow – even when you learn how to power slide round the down hill sections - (more of necessity than a choice) ….
    elime, Ken, SanDue and 2 others like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

That's funny Purple.
    SanDue, Ken and littletommy like this.

That warms my heart to see and hear the xt200 in action on a trail ride. Looks great up there. Thanks for posting.
    admiral, Ken, SanDue and 1 others like this.

I thought we bought the XT for the girls to ride (at least that was the discussion) but is seems The Admiral likes it too much!
    The girls (or I should say young adults) did get to ride it though.
    The youngest daughter (now 20) got bored with going in large circles in 3rd gear and wanted to take it out for a "real ride", while the oldest (21) was super content staying in first gear.
    I do have pictures, but know how sensitive some menfolk are about girls not wearing helmets - and I didn't feel like getting PM's chastising me/them (blah blah blah) so pictures aren't going to be posted of them riding.
    Dryden-Tdub, admiral, Ken and 1 others like this.

I won't say another word about it; but can't speak for the others
    littletommy and Ken like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links