First Ride!! Whooo. I have some new sore spots!
Close

Like Tree45Likes
  • 15 Post By Woodscavenger
  • 3 Post By mountain yawp
  • 1 Post By littletommy
  • 5 Post By Elvesus
  • 6 Post By admiral
  • 7 Post By Mrs. Admiral
  • 3 Post By phelonius
  • 2 Post By jtomelliott49
  • 2 Post By Woodscavenger
  • 1 Post By Toecutter

Thread: First Ride!! Whooo. I have some new sore spots!

First Ride!! Whooo. I have some new sore spots!

Just purchased my TW. Have done a little riding in my neighborhood and in a nearby desert area. On Labor Day I did my first real ride. We went south of the Snake River in southern Idaho in the Reynolds Creek drainage. We rode south on Whiskey Hill Road. I chased my family as they drove the 2 RZRs. We did about 50 miles. The little bugger did well. I realized a few things:

1). I need to break in a few soft spots on my rear!

2) Trails with softball size rocks are bad uphill and downhill.

3) This little bike is a ton of fun.

4).Drinking from a water bottle with a motocross helmet is a pain (need to get a hydration pack)

5) I need to work on my downhill technique

6). It sucks to ride down a rock strewn BLM road 2 miles to connect the last leg of the loop only to find it locked with a private road sign at the very end. We had to backtrack the nasty rock trail all the way back and re-route. Grrrrrr.

We had a great ride. I couldn't keep up with my speed demon wife in her RZR but thats OK with me.
    2005 TW200

Thanks for posting and welcome. Glad you could get out and enjoy the TW with your family involved too.

Welcome!!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It's fun to re-live those first experiences on a TW through the eyes (and seats) of others. Thanks for posting! And welcome from Vancouver Island.

Regarding the challenges of riding on those cobbly trails, you're going to read tons of advice on tire choices on this forum. Assuming you have the stock Bridgestone front tire, an upgraded tire like the Shinko 241 trials tire makes those nasty trails much easier to handle. I persevered for a year with the stock front before finally switching to the 241, and have loved its off-pavement performance ever since. And it's good on-pavement too.
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

Quote Originally Posted by Woodscavenger View Post
    Just purchased my TW. Have done a little riding in my neighborhood and in a nearby desert area. On Labor Day I did my first real ride. We went south of the Snake River in southern Idaho in the Reynolds Creek drainage. We rode south on Whiskey Hill Road. I chased my family as they drove the 2 RZRs. We did about 50 miles. The little bugger did well. I realized a few things:

1). I need to break in a few soft spots on my rear!

2) Trails with softball size rocks are bad uphill and downhill.

3) This little bike is a ton of fun.

4).Drinking from a water bottle with a motocross helmet is a pain (need to get a hydration pack)

5) I need to work on my downhill technique

6). It sucks to ride down a rock strewn BLM road 2 miles to connect the last leg of the loop only to find it locked with a private road sign at the very end. We had to backtrack the nasty rock trail all the way back and re-route. Grrrrrr.

We had a great ride. I couldn't keep up with my speed demon wife in her RZR but thats OK with me.
    Welcome.

I've said it before and it's worth saying again, I love the enthusiasm of a new rider. It brings a smile to my face just to imagine how much fun you had.

Yeah, over the years some of the private land owners out there have locked their gates. Years ago you could ride straight on up Reynolds Creek on over to Silver City but access ended. You can still get there from Reynolds many different ways but it was a joy riding through the trees up Reynolds instead of the more barren treeless routes. Still, a lot of fun out there. Hopefully, it wasn't too hot. Oh, and did you get above any of the smoke?

Enjoy and have fun with your TW.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I thought we had a saying on this forum...Pictures or it didn't happen! (oh wait, not sure we want to see the sores on your rear though!!)

Retracing a route is just so that you can have more riding time. Your butt is sore cause the TW doesn't have a saddle.
    Phelonius

Welcome from the middle of nowhere.. Glad to hear your report. Keep on having fun on that awesome TW.
    Elvesus and littletommy like this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Pics may be coming if my wife took any.

As far as the smoke......not a chance. It was thick and heavy.
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    2005 TW200

Welcome aboard! Same here on the smoke, the town next over from me had the worst air quality in the country a few days ago. Spokane has been getting worse every day this week so far. Baaad time of year to be out hiking and riding. No bueno at all for my elk and bear season so far. Congrats on the great experience!
    littletommy likes this.

Sponosred Links