Carson Pass Camp-N-Ride
Close

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree632Likes

Thread: Carson Pass Camp-N-Ride

Carson Pass Camp-N-Ride

Just returned from a four day trip high sierra trip to enjoy latest full moon and some darn good riding. It all starts with a good camp site and I picked a pretty good clean one with shade, mountain peak and lake views...

Being just below the Sierra crest I was close to quite a variety of riding conditions on both Pacific and inland sides yet got chased back to camp each afternoon by thunderstorms. Still covered some pretty ground and paused at many inviting other remote campsites.

Some of these sites could accommodate a larger group. Hint, hint...Let me tell you about the aspens, single tracks, mountain passes, history, stellar views, etc after I unload some gear and cook up some videos since there was more than just a dozen or so great camp sites.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-10-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    littletommy, CatFlap, Mel and 19 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Reports of intense rain and hail the evening before I left had me anticipating no dust and moist soils. Little did I know that the intense run-off had flushed away a lot of the fine organics down to mineral soil and rocks in places making things more difficult in places. Smoke from regional wildfires was annoying the first evening as it hid approaching rain squalls so I would get splattered with rain or hail without much warning. Subsequent days the wind shifted so I could see and often avoid approaching thunderstorms.
    Sheetwash the day before really moved some material around.

This single track was sooo very close to topping out at the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail but I stopped fearing a mistake would ruin my day.

This one was better:

This one was way worse:

This one was most excellent:

Moist rains on the Pacific side gives the woods a temperate rain forest feel with lots of moss on everything.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-10-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Tweaker, SanDue, Ken and 1 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Great shots of the high country Fred, I've seen many like them, but from the back of a horse. It's amazing the places a TW can take you, thanks for sharing your pics...
    littletommy, SanDue, Ken and 1 others like this.
    "Cycles is a mean toy lady" Halsy Knox

Nice link Tommy. I have ridden the Bristlecone monument road in the White Mountains to the locked gate @ ~ 10,500 beyond the turn to Silver Creek ( which has good camping along side a very challenging road, dessert big horn sheep and year round creek flows down lower near Bishop) and yet to be explored Wyman Canyon. Really nice destinations. A highly recommendable destination whose access gate closes in another month. GrandView Campground partway up the mountain is a good base camp and allows acclimation to the elevation to those from sea level.
    littletommy, SanDue, Ken and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

I knew you'd been up there somewhere!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Nice link Tommy. I have ridden the Bristlecone monument road in the White Mountains to the locked gate @ ~ 10,500 beyond the turn to Silver Creek ( which has good camping along side a very challenging road, dessert big horn sheep and year round creek flows down lower near Bishop) and yet to be explored Wyman Canyon. Really nice destinations. A highly recommendable destination whose access gate closes in another month. GrandView Campground partway up the mountain is a good base camp and allows acclimation to the elevation to those from sea level.
    SanDue, Ken, TopPredator and 1 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

"It's amazing the places a TW can take you” - Blueduce
    So true! And the TW makes a pretty good ice-breaker too. While awaiting a Follow Me​ car at head of a road contruction zone on Carson Pass a BMW came passing cars to join me at head of line. We joked about the joy of lane splitting and he had never seen a “Betty Boop-mobile” before. Turns out he was a German returning from Burning Man to Bay Area. He had bought the BMW stateside 19 years ago for a vacation ride and rather than sell it at end of his ride he was lucky enough to meet nice folks who store the bike for him year after year. So back he comes year after year. He knew all the good Sierra passes, nothing I could share he didn’t already know. Later I tried to chase him over the summit but he left me far behind.

Over four days I encountered only three more people off the highway: A girl hiking with her Pit Bull who appreciated me complimenting her on a handsome dog ( so may people hate pit bulls that their owners are tired of explaining) , a fellow in a nicely built-up older Blazer and two smiling girls hiking the Horse Canyon Trail. I think the mellow exhaust, silly orange paint and Betty Boop Stickers tend to disarm folk’s concerns. The Sierra Club backpack helps. I was all prepared with maps and photos showing how I had legal right to be on the single track since sometimes hikers can get apoplectic or argumentative, but yesterday I just got waves and smiles.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-10-2017 at 04:29 PM.
    Mel, ejfranz, SanDue and 3 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

First taste of a nice motorcycle approved trail that takes one up to the ridge line to join the Pacific Crest Trail. I hadn’t been up there in years. What used to be smooth all the way now has eroded into a rocky foot wide riverbed further up the slope. Loosing traction that required foot dabs had me remember that I promised wifey and surgeon that I was not to over-stress my right hip. So I turned around and found even more challenging rides.
    admiral, ejfranz, SanDue and 6 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

When I come home and I see a ride post from you Fred, I know the pictures and videos are going to be awesome. And you did not disappoint on this trip either.

This trail looks very K-gnarly.

Looks amazingly fun

Along with your narrative, this is a knee slapper. Too funny Fred, I love it.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Imagine the fall colors once these lakeside aspens start to change. Lots of nice aspen groves most places I went but these towering beauties caught my eye.
    Very tranquil setting.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links