TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Nyssa to Harper...the back way

764 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  admiral 
#1 ·
A day ride in Eastern Oregon. We made a big loop starting and ending in Nyssa, OR. Most of the time was spent on backroads with only the dash home from Harper on pavement...in the dark. Rocky roads slowed us down quite a bit so we bypassed a lot of side trips I had planned.

We start our ride at the crack of 1:00 P.M.

Because of the late start, we must stop and eat lunch

We ate soup & samiches at The Thunderegg Coffee Co. Yum.

Found this dinosaur as we entered Twin Springs. It's a bit parch out there this time of year.

From Twin Springs we heard the call "Head West Young Man". 'Cept I don't qualify as young anymore unless we're using dinosaur years

The water WAS NOT flowing through Dry Creek when we passed by. But it was bumpy.

The old cowboy cabin looks thirsty too

Down the road a bit we take a break at a slightly more modern cowboy cabin. By Mrs. Admiral's comments about the condition of the place, we should rename it a rat cabin.

To keep the cowboy cabin theme going, we took a short detour south to Coyote Wells cowboy cabin.

It's fixer-upper days are just about gone

Don't rely on the signs for directions. They're a bit on the weathered side

Bit easier to read on the north side of the sign despite all the cowboys mistaken the sign as a coyote er supp'in

A thundering heard of 3 Mule Deer crossed the road in front of me. They crossed in between Mrs. Admiral and I. She missed seeing them, I missed hitting them.
You can barely see #3 just off the road on the right

#4 didn't cross the road but followed us around the fenceline.

Only behind our time schedule by about 2 1/2 hours we do a driveby through Harper, OR. Things are a little quiet here these days.

But the school built in 1930 is still pretty active for all the ranch kids in Harper Valley. I'm curious if they call the local Parent Teacher Association the "Harper Valley PTA"?

Better internet picture of the old school still in use. Looks cool

We needed to be home by 8:00. Mrs. Admiral wanted us to get home no later than 7:00. I wanted a buffer so I hoped for 6:00. We made it home at 8:30. After dark no less, go figure!:p

See less See more
1 17
#2 ·
That looks like fun. Did you cut due west from Dry Spring Cutoff to Crowley Rd? The Benchmark Atlas does not show much of a road there, but it looks better than Page place Rd did.

Our younger daughter's name is Nyssa.

#3 ·
Yeah, I remember your daughter had the same name, so cool.

I took the route you mapped out and I scouted for you from Nyssa to Twin Springs, then west on Dry Cutoff Rd. to Crowley Rd. instead of heading south to Shumway Cutoff Rd. We headed north to Harper and then blacktop home through Vale and Nyssa. Between Harper and Vale, we were on the same part of Hwy 20 that you and Lynn rode on during your trip out here. We were running late so we didn't take the old Oregon Trail (Keeney Summit/Lytle Blvd) that you two and I rode from Nyssa to Vale instead staying on Hwy 20 then south to Nyssa. If you remember Pearl Rd., the gravel one from our place to almost Nyssa, it's a bitch in the dark!

#5 ·
Ya, I couldn't help myself but you're right, young'ins probably wouldn't know what that reference was about. :p

Maybe this will help and bring back some memories for us older folks.

"Harper Valley PTA" is a country song written by Tom T. Hall that was a major international hit single for country singerJeannie C. Riley in 1968. Riley's record sold over six million copies as a single. The song made Riley the first woman to top both the Billboard Hot 100 and the U.S. Hot Country Singles charts with the same song, a feat that would go unrepeated until Dolly Parton's "9 to 5" in 1981.

The song makes two references to short hemlines ("you've been wearing your dresses way too high"; "wore her miniskirt into the room") in reference to the miniskirtand the minidress, which had been gaining popularity in the four years since they were first introduced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.