July Surprise @ Hollister Hills
Close

Summer days here in Central Cali are typically hot & dry, and the ground hard. My riding strategy is to hit it early, get my ride on,and head home for my honey-dos. July 1 started normally. Woke to a sunny, clear Santa Cruz morning and headed to Hollister Hills (1 hr away) where it was ...

Rainy July Morning by smallcamerajournal, on Flickr

raining!

Rainy July AM by smallcamerajournal, on Flickr

It was weird, wet, slippery, with lousy visibility.

Soggy Ride by smallcamerajournal, on Flickr

And super beautiful and FUN.

Mud Boots by smallcamerajournal, on Flickr

Happy July!

Was it crowded? I figure on a weekend it would be like a zoo!

And I really like the picture of the oak trees with the fog in the back ground and the dry grass. That is so typical Central California away from the coast during the summer.

Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Was it crowded? I figure on a weekend it would be like a zoo!

And I really like the picture of the oak trees with the fog in the back ground and the dry grass. That is so typical Central California away from the coast during the summer.

Wasn't crowded at all. My experience is if I'm riding by 8:30 or earlier, I avoid the crowds until they show up late morning. Kinda like powder days at the resort.

Also, the Renthal property area of Hollister seems to be less crowded for whatever reason.

Thanks for the photo input - it was an awesome morning.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wow, small camera but impressionistic photos that look like paintings. They made me want to get up early and meet up for a ride. Happy Independence Day. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by d-nix View Post
    Wasn't crowded at all. My experience is if I'm riding by 8:30 or earlier, I avoid the crowds until they show up late morning. Kinda like powder days at the resort.

I like to go on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. If I am riding by 10:00 I pretty much have the place to myself for a couple of hours. Around noon other riders start showing up but it hardly ever gets very busy.

I like the area around the windmill. I have ridden a couple of black diamond trails in that area and with new found confidence will attempt some other black diamond trails. The two trails I was on were OK Corral and Dinosaur Loop. My next attempt is the trail named Lights Out that runs along the fault line.

Do you know of any black diamond trails to be avoided with a TW? I don't mean those kamikaze trails without names. Those guys are crazy!

After riding the two trails I was on I asked another rider how they rated compared to other black diamond trails and he said they were pretty typical. He said if you can ride those two trails you can ride about anywhere. I just don't want to get half way into something and find I have reached an impasse and have to ride out going the wrong way on a one way trail.

Where do you do most of your riding at Hollister? Tony
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I like to go on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. If I am riding by 10:00 I pretty much have the place to myself for a couple of hours. Around noon other riders start showing up but it hardly ever gets very busy.

I like the area around the windmill. I have ridden a couple of black diamond trails in that area and with new found confidence will attempt some other black diamond trails. The two trails I was on were OK Corral and Dinosaur Loop. My next attempt is the trail named Lights Out that runs along the fault line.

Do you know of any black diamond trails to be avoided with a TW? I don't mean those kamikaze trails without names. Those guys are crazy!

After riding the two trails I was on I asked another rider how they rated compared to other black diamond trails and he said they were pretty typical. He said if you can ride those two trails you can ride about anywhere. I just don't want to get half way into something and find I have reached an impasse and have to ride out going the wrong way on a one way trail.

Where do you do most of your riding at Hollister? Tony

I'm pretty new to riding, and am trying to up my game. From that perspective, Windmill Maze and Peat's Path are both reasonable step-ups from Hollister's intermediate trails. The Challenge Loop, which incorporates OK Corral, Dinosaur Loop, Windmill Loop plus others, looks interesting. I've been riding solo, so I've been taking an incremental approach in progressing.

Check out TundraManDan's Yesterday's Ride 6/29/2012 Rough Trail in this forum. He sets the T-Dub bar pretty high! I aspire to that someday, but would probably not go solo ...

Tony (and any other forum members), I live in Santa Cruz and try to get to Hollister a coupla times a month. During the summer, I usually go early to beat the heat. If you want to ride, let me know. Also, I'd like to explore some of the other dirt in the area (Hernandez Road, Gloria Road, etc.) if your interested.

hey d-nix,

i'm in for riding at hollister some time. i'm off for a couple of weeks this summer, so i'm in for middle of the week.

let me know.

joe
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links