Moab.....Again!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Moab.....Again!

Cool Moab.....Again!

Once again I am dragging my sorry ass to Moab. Somehow got talked into spending the money I don't have for a fall trip. Something about the frailty of life?...Can't take it with you?...Whatever!
    Will load up the Tdub on Tues. and head down for another week to ten days. My big worry is the damn tent that I had to pack up early the spring trip because of that lovely blowing fine red sand and dust blew thru the screening and covered everything. I actually had retired from tenting, looking forward to the spring when I will be selling the Jeep for a used Promaster, Sprinter or Transit to convert to a camper. But, that's not now and I am forced to tent one last time....AGAIN! I'll be spending a ton o money on motels if it's a windy dust storm down there.
    Sooo.....someone tell me October is windless.

Quote Originally Posted by Motoad View Post
    Once again I am dragging my sorry ass to Moab. Somehow got talked into spending the money I don't have for a fall trip. Something about the frailty of life?...Can't take it with you?...Whatever!
    Will load up the Tdub on Tues. and head down for another week to ten days. My big worry is the damn tent that I had to pack up early the spring trip because of that lovely blowing fine red sand and dust blew thru the screening and covered everything. I actually had retired from tenting, looking forward to the spring when I will be selling the Jeep for a used Promaster, Sprinter or Transit to convert to a camper. But, that's not now and I am forced to tent one last time....AGAIN! I'll be spending a ton o money on motels if it's a windy dust storm down there.

It's windless.

...but I could be (am) wrong. Good luck and have fun.

Of course your tent choice could be worse

However, if you're a single guy this tent might work. Get rid of the guy and the dog and your set. Almost all the comforts of home...almost.
    Fred, PlacerLode, ejfranz and 3 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I don't think we'll be home next week, or I would offer you a bed in the basement.
    But if things go according to plan we'll be down in Arizona to get my Tdub back from my son.
    admiral, Ken, grewen and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Motoad; here is my oddball idea. Moab once again reminded me why I gave up tenting; and I left early too, after the 2nd sand drenching. I had bought a new bigger tent for Moab also.

Back to my idea, since you are spending money anyways. I have an 11x9 tent. I am considering buying a 9x7 (or so) tent that has the attached folding frame - so that it can be set up "inside" the larger tent.
    Then instead of the sand blowing up the sides of the tent and coming in the top vents and covering everything; it will come up the sides of the exterior tent; and fall onto, and slide down the rain-fly and exterior sides of the interior tent without getting inside it. That just means spending about $75 on another tent. This week may be my last off-roading adventure though; and I am making the hour commute to a motel each night for the comfort.
    Ken and ejfranz like this.

Haaaa! Admiral. I like dogs. Might keep the girl too. Old w/?? I do have the big tent. Just not buying any more. But that is a laughable yet, strangely attractive idea. No, I'll stick with the motel bail out.
    Ken and admiral like this.

... looking forward to the spring when I will be selling the Jeep for a used Promaster, Sprinter or Transit to convert to a camper...
    I've been looking hard at the Promaster too. I like the short top 136 wheel base to use as my grocery-getter and stealth camper. I love the boxy aesthetics, the fact it can fit within a parking garage, and at 5'4" I can easily stand inside. The only thing holding me back now is the fact I have to sell the bus first.

No matter which platform you choose, Promaster, Sprinter, or Transit... Good luck on your camper build!
    Ken and Fred like this.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Mootard, try the Glamping at Moab Under Canvas next door. Their tents are only around $300 a night but someone will come by to sweep out your tent every morning.
    Or just save for that Sprinter. There is a lot to be said for sleeping inside a mobile go anywhere compact motorized box. Like when it is windy, dusty, buggy, rainy or snowing

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    PlacerLode, Ken and Tweaker like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Think KOA south of town... Next time I go to Moab I will be staying there AGAIN! But without Montezuma...no farting or snoring contests are needed

KOA Gang Sketch1.png

Reddog{Zdiver}, Borneo{The Judge} Weasel, Montezuma, and Hoot, March 2015 at the KOA
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    It's windless.

...but I could be (am) wrong. Good luck and have fun.

Of course your tent choice could be worse

However, if you're a single guy this tent might work. Get rid of the guy and the dog and your set. Almost all the comforts of home...almost.
    Get rid of the guy and the girl. Keep the dog since he will be glad to accompany you on as many trips to Moab as you see fit. He will never talk back or remind you that he needs a ring on his naked finger

Tom
    admiral likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

I don't think you will need to worry about rain as on Monday I think they got their quota for the year. There were water puddles every where and Willow Springs road was a red slurry. I think the TW gained 5 pounds in red sand. ( Lorie, you think sand is hard to ride in, you need to try the red slurrie. ) The winds were blowing the last 2 days we were there, but they were warm the last day.
    admiral, grewen and Tweaker like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links