Group Ride Reports -The Battle of Carson Pass
Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree457Likes

Thread: Group Ride Reports -The Battle of Carson Pass

Group Ride Reports -The Battle of Carson Pass

66249c09237d9e336f398da95a412645.jpgThis is a continuation of the Carson Pass Camp-N-Ride for those who don’t wish to view 180+ posts of anticipation before the actual event.

Might make a good place for all to post their pictures, videos and opinions now that everything is over but washing off the mud.

I’ll give a simple story outline and others can hang any details off it they like.
    I went on Thusday to set up camp and rode `~15 scouting miles.
    Firday early arrivals rode ~ 30 miles scouting the roughest part of a planned loop.
    Saturday 11 of us rode 60 odd miles of the first loop with some added detours to lakes and peaks on the inland side of the Sierras, nice mix of challenging rocky roads, smooth graded dirt and pavement.
    Sunday we did ~ 115 miles of mostly narrow twisty pavement on the Pacific side descending from high ridges to the American River at Strawberry.
    Monday we all took off but I just had to do one more ride even though we woke up to 20 degree weather at dawn.

P.S. -Canon shoots explosives to bring down avalanches in a controlled fashion on Carson Summit as seen from gun position on shore of Red Lake.
    Last edited by Fred; 10-15-2017 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections
    Mel, Dryden-Tdub, Purple and 11 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

It was that 20 degree weather that scared me off. I'm not scared of a Fred easy ride, much.
    Joemama

It was sunny and nice every day until late Sunday when at Woods Lake a cold front caught up with us dropping temps from 60s to 40s in minutes. We rushed back over the summit to camp but dropping a thousand feet or so did nothing to warm up the ride. A nice campfire and Dan and Sue’s BBQ warmed things up nicely.
    Late Friday we returned from Crater Lake also late but things were much warmer.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

20171008_102904a.jpg

20171008_103108a.jpg

Another couple picture was taken here. The SanDue couple caught in a smooch. Unfortunately I realize I took it with their camera. Dan; post it up!
    20171008_105730a.jpg
    Fred got a smooch too on this trip! And it was not from one of the girls. Luckily there is no video evidence!

20171008_112925a.jpg

20171008_115042a.jpg

20171008_125553a.jpg
    Rhodetrip, admiral, Mel and 12 others like this.

Well, I have a few more:

How about some aspens? We saw more than a few. You know how when you do something receptively you can go to sleep still experiencing it? Saturday night I had trouble falling asleep do to tight aspen tunnels of endless left and right turns I had to keep leaning into.

Entertainment was provided by our charming hostess Sue, here doing the blessing of the cammo pants dance.

Fortunately we had evan to help keep things under control.

A calm backwater bay at Woods Lake, while sheltered, is still getting very chilly from the arriving cold front. Woods Lake was just too pretty to not share as our last stop together. Next stop was a warm campfire and Dan’s grilled pork chops back at camp.

From the bridge over the Silver Fork of the American River we could see large numbers of rainbow trout holding in the granite lined pools below. As the two little boys fishing below us said “There’s hundreds of them!” Like us they were having a very good day.

Mud Lake where heroic TW riders saved Mrs.Admiral from the snake.

But wait, there’s more to come!
    Last edited by Fred; 10-15-2017 at 12:25 PM.
    SanDue, Ken, Mel and 10 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

image.jpegGreat/fantastic ride experience, loved almost every moment of it. Fred didn't lose a single rider, I mean he didn't ditch us this time. Haha. It hurt me to watch him walk with his bad hip but, he could sure ride like the wind! Speaking of hips, check out Mhomadness' most awesome ride badge "Hip to Ride". Great job with the badges Thank You. Sorry you couldn't attend. Mike!!!
    image.jpeg

We checked out the recommended camping location on google earth and agreed a mile or so down a dirt road was no big deal. Wrong! This must be the last year they call it a road. We parked the truck and trailer and unloaded one of the bikes and proceeded to find the camp on two wheels. This creek bed, I'm sorry I meant road, had a speed limit of two miles an hour and sometimes slower. Border line 4X4 road. If this road was a warning we didn't take heed. Fred's choice of camp sites was spectacular. Very beautiful.

The high sierras is truly a work of natures art, awe inspiring to say the least. It's also rough as hell. It was our under standing that this was going to be an easy ride. We didn't read the fine print evidently which said maybe after the first hill climb. Haha Sue fell twice on this hill climb but, she got back on and finished to summit. This may have taken us out of our comfort zone but, that's what it takes to become a better rider. There is no better audience to push your limits then riding with the group! Good stuff.

As hard as we tried to feed everyone we did somethings right and somethings wrong. Mel sure made it seem easy from previous group rides! This group is more interested in riding and telling tall tales then eating. I will confess while changing small butane tanks on one of two BBQs the thing flared up in my face. I won't have to trim my eyebrows or nose hairs for a while. Scared the heebie gee bees out of me. Ha. This was the first time I've had to use a fire extinguisher, they work. The lesson learned, don't have two gas sources within 10 feet from each other, or something like that. Ya'll getting peanut butter sandwiches next time. Ha.

Sue warned me to wear more then Levi's. I told her if Evan can ride in Levi's then so could I. I don't know about Evan but, I froze my ass off returning the second day of riding. The temperature in short order dropped to freezing, go figure. Sue purchased a winter motorcycle coat for me for the trip and I decided (wrong) that it was to warm to wear. They say there is some good in everything, while Sue was teasing me about how warm and toasty she was the power in our headphones went dead. Took care of that problem, now back to freezing my ass off!

Saw some deer hunters and some deer hunters heard us. We stopped miles in on a rough road and took a break/rest stop/lunch. Upon our departure this hunter in full camouflage confronts the group in order to run us off in no uncertain terms. I told him we're in the process of leaving what's the point? As I rode off I thought I heard him yelling something about a pink motorcycle scaring the deer away for three years or something. Then at another lake, we meet a wonderful guy who just wouldn't leave us alone. He was very familiar with the local and was very interesting and fun. You just never know what will happen next on these rides, thats for sure!

image.jpeg.
    Evan

image.jpeg
    Mountain Redbelly

image.jpeg
    Rider21

image.jpeg
    Mrs. Admiral
    Last edited by SanDue; 10-11-2017 at 07:36 AM.
    Mel, mhomadness, admiral and 10 others like this.

Fantastic photo of Evan, our Designated Outlaw Biker! No Parking indeed!
    Actually this was at the closed for the season campground at Woods Lake so I dont think anyone was offended.
    image.jpeg
    Great photos of some of the gang Dan, couldn’t think of a nicer group to ride with.
    Last edited by Fred; 10-15-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    SanDue, elime, mhomadness and 6 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Should take a moment to thank:

FRED; for putting this all together - as usual!

SanDue (DAN and SUE); for all the meals they put on -- and the surprise gift grab box to boot!

and everyone for showing up and riding!

and though not personally present; there in spirit (or ride badges - mhomadness MIKE) (blueberry pies - Fred's better half MARISA)!
    Last edited by old w/??; 10-11-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links