Big Creek Idaho - Single track and more!
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree227Likes

Thread: Big Creek Idaho - Single track and more!

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar

Big Creek Idaho - Single track and more!

I spent a long weekend in Idaho at Sidekick Chad's cabin for Independence Day. On the 5th, we took this ride. We looked at the maps, planned a loop route and uploaded it into the GPS units, and set out. We started in Calder, ID, rode up Big Creek, then up, way up, onto the ATV Divide ridge trail. We followed this east to Slate Creek Road which took us back south to the St. Joe. Finishing back in Calder.

I'm going to make this a multi-part series since there was a lot of footage which is all fantastic. Also, since my GoPro lens was still damaged from the Moab trip, this footage was shot on Chad's new Garmin Virb chin-mounted to his helmet.

In Part 1: We are riding Big Creek Road, which is a nice gravel road along and crossing Big Creek. Eventually, it gets a little rougher and starts narrowing to two-track for a little while until it turns to a single-track motorcycle trail. As always, the camera makes it look more tame than actually experiencing it. It goes up fast, with loose and some larger rock. Immediately, we struggle with the first little steps/ledge area. I think we both felt like we could've made it easier by just gunning it, but that drop off to the left was very scary and intimidating.

With temperatures getting above 90 degrees, and being in full sun, the next small challenge got me hot and pooped and needing a short break before proceeding. Man-handling the TW wears you out quick! When SC realizes that we're going to be doing switchbacks up that hill, he looks back wondering how in the hell we can turn around. We can't. It's do or die time. When he gets to the top, you can see the climb for the switchback to the right. I think his plan was to stop and game plan. Plans don't always go as planned. Enjoy...

Rhodetrip, Mel, elime and 11 others like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

That trail looks very challenging. And it looks like one little mistake and you will fall into the abyss. I am anxiously waiting to see part 2.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I hate those type of trails with the step drop off on one side.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I hate switchbacks with a passion. Even on mules, I hated switchbacks. Good time to set up the suspense for part 2. A real "cliffhanger" if you will.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Nasty TW trap. Everyting looks great until you realize you’ve committed to something were you might just might die.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Excellent video. Far better than anything on the tv box.

Looking forward to part 2. You left us hanging for the sequel.
    God made mud. God got lonesome. So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!" "See all I've made," said God, "The hills, the sea, the sky, the stars." And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around. Lucky me, lucky mud. I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done.
    Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

all seems so innocent until BAM! too late. crazy how fast that narrowed down to a butt-puckering cliffhanger. btw much better idea to fall right too.... i gasped at your tumble left "0h SH*T" is that a grasshopper that jumps left to right at 6:20?

Oh, have you had that second bike checked out? so skinny those tires...it looks so anorexic, i hope it's OK!

thanks for the beautiful ride report.
    Last edited by joeband; 10-17-2017 at 07:54 AM.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

It's funny, as I started getting things ready for Part 2, I'm like, "Geez, I must really suck at this! It's almost been a week, and I can't even get a 'like' from littletommy!". So, thanks for the kind words and for checking out my stuff.
    joeband, admiral, ejfranz and 6 others like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

We continue on the tight side-hill singletrack after a couple of switchbacks where the camera wasn't on. Follow us as we experience the scary heights, multiple water crossings, and mechanical difficulties. Enjoy Part 2.

joeband, buellzebub, elime and 7 others like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

looks like a completely different state compared to mr and mrs admiral's stomping grounds! nice dodge of that road boulder stuck in the creek... i had a creek crossing once upon a time with multiple hazards! never heard of a chain derailment from a rock like that, just flooded boots and carb.
    thanks again!
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links