milking the most from my Spot options
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Okay, I caved and bought a spot to give my wife peace of mind when I'm in the boondocks. I'm curious if you have strategized about how to get more detailed info to your home site with the essentially 3 or 4 options available.

1. I'm okay - use this frequently and especially when you get to the general area where you are riding and where you are getting off the bike for a hike, and especially during that hike (you are less conspicuous away from the bike).

2. Track option (sends a location to the website every 10 minutes), but hey you can travel a long way in 10 minutes and it seems to me that the sending takes longer than that so if the sender stops working or you shut if off too soon, the location track is abbreviated. My track options seems to have shut itself off a couple of times so it bears checking to see if its working.

3. Custom message - This needs to tell something about who you are, what bike you are riding, and why you might have sent the message or what you expect in terms of response (should be something other than the two options below). I say this in case its someone other than your wife, brother, or oldest kid who sees the message. I named my unit TWSPOT before I realize that it would be the name that accompanied the message that I'm OK. My sister in law would imagine that TWspot was a dog and blow it off.

4. Send help but its not an emergency - This is what you do if the bike is dead, you are injured or otherwise stuck but not necessarily in a life threatening situation.

5. SOS - This one goes to emergency folks, not just your contacts so its one you only want to use when its serious - besides that you have to decide whether even then they will come for you - it could be that number 3 or 4 will get you more attention than 5 if you have established folks who will monitor that signal.

I'd like to hear what folks who have used the SPOT, have done - what messages say and how we might be able to get more precise info to our contacts by employing combinations of signals or repeated signals. JUST thinking. Tom

PS. I realize there is a thread of 10+ pages on ADV rider about spots but I'd like info from the trusted TW community rather than some of the gonzos there that I don't know anything about. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

If no one comes forth PM Warren. He's like a Level 10 Spot Ninja, er sumpin'.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I ALWAYS use the tracking feature. I have done 7 full day rides on the same set of lithium batteries and it has never shut off or stopped tracking.

I have my sos message set to im not injured, but im broke down...send help.

The red sos of course is im fucked/panties are wet.

The message buttion is usually hey looked where i am im having more fun than you bla bla bla.

and the check in/ok is im running late, but everything is ok
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

So, with a spot, what is the cost? Don't you have to pay a fee each year? I can see where they could be very valuable for solo rides.

Dan

For the basic Spot II (new and improved basic) its $99 and $99 per year for the service with $50 more for bread crumb tracking feature. Yes its a luxury, but what is spending the night in the mountains when you don't want to worth or keeping a spouse from being frustrated, worried, or angry? I rationalized it as a justifiable expense considering the remote areas I ride in solo. I like the idea of using the tracking just to say where you are, the I'm OK to say "I'll be late but still coming", and using the custom message (not really because it has to be written ahead of time); the send help; and the SOS for more severe situations (previously agreed to by rider and spouse).

As a further explanation, I'm usually not more than 30 miles from home, but its on seldom traveled roads, through nearly uninhabited areas, the folks that are out there are hermits, plinkers, cowboys, and even some that are unreliable, and the number of roads, trails, arroyos, box canyons, and hills that I could be on would be a major handicap to anyone finding me quickly if I was unable to move or badly injured. But stuff happens. Tom

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

I use a Spot that is paired with a Delorme PN-60w GPS. (You can get more details at the Delorme internet site.) This allows true custom messages as well as other options. But it is still one-way communication. So, if you want two way communication, consider the Delorme GPS paired with their InReach device. I have stayed with the Spot so far because of the cost of a new device, but two way communication raises safety and peace of mind to a new level.

I hit the ok button once a hour. I have the unit mounted on my bars. I change the custom message frequently but usually have it set to

" I'm having some mechanical problems but I am attempting to fix" Plus I give my wife a good idea where I'm headed..

M

Hey gang!

I've been using mine for almost 3 years now!

I keep it pretty simple.

I have the SOS button of course, then the help button is roadside assistance.

I have the tracking option so a cookie is dropped every 15 minutes.

I've programmed the other two messages to read:

All is well - Stopping for awhile

All is well - Stopping for the night

That's for over-nighters - For day trips I set it up like this:

All is well - Stopping for awhile

All is well - Heading home

I ask my family to keep an eye on it and if they don't see me move for more than 30-45 minutes, or if the tracking stops with no message sent, to call me every 5 minutes for 30 minutes. No answer or callback and they start to escalate.

I make sure to keep my phone snug against my body so will feel it vibrate. So far only one issue, the batteries had died and it took my wife one call to get me.

I love it - A friend of mine just got back from a 5 week trip to Alaska and his wife was thrilled watching him on the trip!
    -- Warren in San Diego

2011 DL650

???? TW200 (soon!)

Thanks everyone, These are the subtle thinks that can be included in the 5 basic messaging options. Am I correct in the following?

1. Tracking goes to the web site and is accessible to anyone you arm with the password and id (and who bothers to look for it).

2. I'm OK; and 3. Here's my custom message (written ahead of time). both go to any and all email addresses and or text message addresses specified.

4. Send help goes to the email addresses and text message phone numbers specified.

5. SOS goes to the monitoring service which ideally contacts the local authorities, search and rescue or sheriff's office (Do I really want to count on anyone responding?) I'd hope that the SOS would also involve contacting emergency contacts specified in you user account.

My concern is having only one person or entity listed for receiving messages 2, 3, and 4 because that person might not be available and you not realize their absence or inability to respond. Thus I'd really like to preplan a backup person who would/could respond even if primary contact was not about.

Has anyone ever pulled the SOS lever? If so, what happened? Just fussing about serious situations. Tom

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links