Both Sides of the Mountain
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Here is a video from my ride today. Ended up being a nice trip, up and then along both sides of a ridge where the Pacific Crest Trail meanders along then down into the next valley over. Lots of fun and great scenery!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U0J4kSIhxw[/media]

Nice video. Like to hear a bit more detail about when things got kind of 'squirreley'. It looked like you were going to 'go-down'. You said something, but I did not understand. In any event, you appeared to have stayed upright. Generally for me, when things start moving about like that, I end up eating dirt. Terrain looked pretty dry, but the rock seems to minimize the dust. Quite an adventure, hope you had plenty of water. Thanks. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

i'll second mr gizmow's thought about getting "squirreley".

pretty terrain, thanks for posting.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The "exciting" moment was memorable. It looked like there were two paths up to this small summit. One was steep, the other was steeper with some really big rocks and drop offs that I didn't notice until I was on the way down.

I went up the one side, and and decided to head down the other. As I started over the precipice I saw that it wasn't a nice dirt path, instead there were several big rocky ridges running across the face of the way down. It was too late to stop! So shift the weight to the back, stay off the brakes, choose a line and stick to it. I think I said "Yee Haw" upon safely making it down without falling. I think I might have mentally said something a bit stronger when I saw how steep it was once I was on the way down!

It has been very dry here, no real rain to speak of and not enough snow this winter. Still there were a couple of springs active in some of the areas. I was wearing a hydration pack with 2 liters of water so I was good to go. The nice thing about yesterday was the clouds. It made the ride extra nice.

Looks like a really nice area to ride. Where those gravel/dirt roads originally made for mining or logging or both? Ain't riding the TW fun, enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Hey, thanks for sharing a great video of your ride. I liked the video with the stills incorporated. I also enjoyed the audio. I like to hear the TW do it's thing. I assume you used a chest mount for the camera?
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

The TW is great! I think those roads are there mostly for firefighting. I didn't see any evidence of mining and most of the area is below the big tree line. I don't know for sure though.

As for the camera, it is just hung around my neck by a strap... not really a chest mount, but in that location... unless I take an interesting diversion, then the camera finds its own line.

Interesting how scale affects things.

Mormon Rocks feel like 2 miles of Moab's best when you're down in them yet in your video they look like an insignificant outcropping from above.

I love this place.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Ah, being the camera was "hung", likely my impression of your 'situation' was exaggerated some by the camera moving about. I really thought you were going to take a serious fall. I certainly have crested a climb only to find myself saying something like, gee wiz . Now, in situations like that I sometimes let off on the throttle a little to soon and then 'just barely' pull over the crest. This situation seems to rate a 'rare' expletive as well. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Yes, the camera movement probably exaggerates the situation some. The hill I went down would not be much more than fun on a full on dirt bike with 10 inches of suspension travel. Turned out to be a non issue for the TW as well, although, it was more of a drop off than I thought it would be when I headed down the hill.

The pictures of Mormon Rocks struck me the same way. If you don't know what they are, you probably don't even notice them in the pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links