2018 NE Oregon ride - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree520Likes

Thread: 2018 NE Oregon ride

Yes, looks kind of old.
    littletommy likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Thanks for starting the thread and helping to get the gathering going. I plan on joining in on the fun. Solids dates would be nice sooner rather than later if I, and others, need to schedule time off of work. June will be less hot than later in the summer and usually the fires haven't started yet.
    If the group decides to come over as far as Enterprise (2 hours away) during the gathering, I would be happy to help lead a ride or host a meal if wanted.
    littletommy and ejfranz like this.

Thank goodness a plated TW200 is not an OHV or ATV.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Have to figure out if Oregon accepts my Utah Offroad stickered TTR250. If not I guess it stays in the trailer. Firmed up dates sooner than later would be ideal..
    littletommy likes this.
    2007 TW

WHS
    Count me in! And as I live within an hour or two of the area, I would be happy to go up early and secure a group camping site at either Winom, Frazier or my personal favorite Umapine (but it is 9 miles of gravel to get there). And as an FYI, some campgrounds are free and some are not, but either way they are not expensive, especially with a group.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...prd3813490.pdf
    littletommy and admiral like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I was just looking for that rule and am having trouble finding it. have you got a link to that one Fred?
    littletommy likes this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Oregon state park web sites seems to loosely define ATVs and ORVs as “designed” or “intended” for off road operation so my point was that a plated TW200 does not meet this definition anywhere else in my experience. No where in limited research of Oregon DMV, state law, state law definitions, or Park System to they cite a statute or policy that authorizes them to lump duly licensed and registered motor vehicles as ORVs or ATVs once they leave pavement or based on any other criterion. Lots of information going other direction for regulations, statutes and authority to operate ATVs and ORVs on public roads but nothing that defines when a duly licensed motor vehicle becomes a class I,II, III, or class IV ORV.
    Perhaps if Oregon stated that their regulations in greater detail confusion might be avoided. Like if you pull your car off the pavement onto a state public road shoulder are you suddenly an ORV or ATV? Same for a general aviation aircraft setting down on a dirt strip, is it now an ATV or ORV since airplanes meet Oregon state’s loose definition of what legally constitutes a motor vehicle according to their official Oregon.org legal definitions website? Unfortunately citing inaccuracies and ambiguities in published materials rarely constitutes a viable defense in court.
    Obviously one can not fight a state’s or park’s policy at the time of receiving a citation by quoting state law and DMV regulations.; one would likely end up in court and receive an explanation that one is is violation of a "policy" and please pay the fine(s).
    Last edited by Fred; 12-04-2017 at 05:07 PM.
    littletommy, Mel, WHS and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Basically most of the Oregon state park websites look like they were written by people with no more than an 8th grade education and proof-read by those with a 9th grade education under the influence of some really good marijuana. It is like they just don’t care about the inaccuracies in their technical writing. For example: State published regulations state that when quoting ORS 467.030 and OAR 340-035-0030ORS 467.030; OAR 340-035-0030 that mufflers must be maintained at 99decibles (db)”. Now I do not know if I can make my TW that loud. Oregon.gov verbiage for the park sites thus implies that any sound level other than 99db is an infraction yet this is not the case if one takes time to review the actual statutes in the Oregon.gov/laws, etc.
    So it would seem that interpretation of ambiguous government publications likely lies with the officer or agency one encounters with the citation book.
    These ambiguities are not limited to state governments. I have had two back to back phone conversations with Dept. of Interior representatives who directly contradict each other referring to the same issue. So I would recommend calling ahead to the actual park or jurisdiction one wishes to visit if in doubt.

Last edited by Fred; 12-04-2017 at 05:04 PM.
    Donzo, littletommy, grewen and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Fred the TW needs an OHV permit to ride on trails. If you plan to stay on established roads, then you do not need a permit.
    A BC Dual Sport rider got in big shit for not having one when riding his plated dual sport on the dunes.
    You even need one for your car/van/truck if you go on the dunes.
    See the attachment below for the motorcycle info.
    Attachment 142089
    Last edited by ejfranz; 12-04-2017 at 06:28 PM.
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    Fred the TW needs an OHV permit to ride on trails. If you plan to stay on established roads, then you do not need a permit.
    A BC Dual Sport rider got in big shit for not having one when riding his plated dual sport on the dunes.
    You even need one for your car/van/truck if you go on the dunes.
    Attachment 142089
    For dual-sport motorcycles like the TW, the OHV sticker thingy sounds just like Moab and Idaho. Need one if you don't have one from your home state if you ride off-road, though I have been asked twice in Idaho by Forest Service and BLM officials even though I'm legal without a sticker on forest service/blm roads, as long as I'm not on the trails.

Also, one would just have to see if your home state OHV sticker is recognized by Oregon or the state you plan to ride in. No biggy and in Idaho I'm sure the $12 to get one if you need one is far less than being caught without one.
    ejfranz and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links