2018 NE Oregon ride - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree520Likes

Thread: 2018 NE Oregon ride

Quote Originally Posted by WHS View Post
    Count me in! And as I live within an hour or two of the area, I would be happy to go up early and secure a group camping site at either Winom, Frazier or my personal favorite Umapine (but it is 9 miles of gravel to get there). And as an FYI, some campgrounds are free and some are not, but either way they are not expensive, especially with a group.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...prd3813490.pdf

You just volunteered to be the ride leader/event organizer. haha. My preference is almost always the free campsites and any campsite would have to be able to accommodate our group size as it appears to be growing. I'll have to discuss this ride with my co-rider to see what dates are available for us.
    littletommy, ejfranz, WHS and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I am hoping for a June ride
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

WHS
    I can tell you all this, that if we are thinking NE Oregon in the spring, then late May is about the earliest you can access much of the mountain areas. The lower elevations are ok, but depending upon snow pack and the simple fact that winter hits late up here anymore, the riding will be extremely limited until at least then. The biggest problem is many of the roads and trails will have large drifts that are difficult to navigate and some essentially impassable. So with that said, I would recommend Memorial weekend or later.
    Another really cool place to look at is Morrow County ORV Park, I will attach a link. The cool thing about this place is that you can reserve a group site, they have some small cabins available as well and the bathrooms are just awesome! They have porcelain toilets, sinks and showers with instant hot water. The park is 9,000 acres, but what makes it really great is it is attached to the West End (Sunflower) riding area which is 92,000 acres. Lots of roads and trails to explore, and several fire towers that are (or used to be) open to go up and look around.

Morrow-Grant County Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) Park | Morrow County Parks
    where to ride oregon
    where to ride oregon
    admiral, Fred, Donzo and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info WHS. I'll have to look at the links you posted.

I'm with ejfranz for no earlier than June. For instance, last year we wanted to go to the Wallawa gathering (motorcycle gathering) and it was cold and rainy most of the time. We didn't go as the forecast was calling for a bunch of rain. They had the rally in early June 2017 (7-11) and this year it's 7-10. I think they do it this early to avoid Fathers day (17 June this year). I personally am fine with a ride on fathers day weekend cause that's what I like but I know it generally doesn't work that way so I'd say probably after fathers day weekend at this point but not ruling it out. Plus, I would really want to be there for more than just the weekend. Like any basically unorganized ride like our gatherings at Moab, people can come and go at their pleasure to fit their own schedules.
    WHS, littletommy and ejfranz like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Oregon state park web sites seems to loosely define ATVs and ORVs as “designed” or “intended” for off road operation so my point was that a plated TW200 does not meet this definition anywhere else in my experience. No where in limited research of Oregon DMV, state law, state law definitions, or Park System to they cite a statute or policy that authorizes them to lump duly licensed and registered motor vehicles as ORVs or ATVs once they leave pavement or based on any other criterion. Lots of information going other direction for regulations, statutes and authority to operate ATVs and ORVs on public roads but nothing that defines when a duly licensed motor vehicle becomes a class I,II, III, or class IV ORV.
    Perhaps if Oregon stated that their regulations in greater detail confusion might be avoided. Like if you pull your car off the pavement onto a state public road shoulder are you suddenly an ORV or ATV? Same for a general aviation aircraft setting down on a dirt strip, is it now an ATV or ORV since airplanes meet Oregon state’s loose definition of what legally constitutes a motor vehicle according to their official Oregon.org legal definitions website? Unfortunately citing inaccuracies and ambiguities in published materials rarely constitutes a viable defense in court.
    Obviously one can not fight a state’s or park’s policy at the time of receiving a citation by quoting state law and DMV regulations.; one would likely end up in court and receive an explanation that one is is violation of a "policy" and please pay the fine(s).
    The classifications you listed for those that don't know.

Class I (quad), Class II (jeep) vehicles, Class III (motorcycle), and Class IV (side x side) vehicles.
    littletommy likes this.

I really like the way this TW200 Forum is evolving so that many members are now getting together for group rides in various destinations.
    Not too many years ago the idea of something like the Moab gathering of the clan, or the NorCal Group Rides was a rarity. Now we have seen gatherings in the Northwest, Quartzite and others. I remember watching a video years ago from Singapore or somewhere with thirty or so TWs touring around and it just looked so impressive.
    Being able to meet and ride with folks we only knew over the internet somehow adds great value to the whole motorcycling experience. I would encourage others to meet up when possible, it really can be fun.
    admiral, littletommy, Mel and 6 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I would agree with Admiral that either Father's Day weekend, June 14-17, or the following weekend would be best. Most, if not all, of the trails will be accessible by then and the fire season/restrictions hopefully will not have started yet.
    Additional, the Wallowa Valley Adventure Jamboree is June 7-10. So, if those coming to our gathering had an interest in doing it, and enough vacation time, they could spend 10 days between the Enterprise and La Grande areas and do lots of amazing riding. There are definitely enough rides to occupy the time.
    This is just a suggestion.
    admiral, littletommy, WHS and 1 others like this.

We still need to finish, or should I say start over, the Dug Bar Ride...during non or less Rattle Snake time.
    littletommy likes this.

We could add Dug Bar to the ride list for the event, but that would be a very long day starting from the proposed camping areas.
    If you want it to be rattle snake free, then April on a non-rainy weekend would be ideal. It is low enough elevation in Imnaha that the snow should be gone by then, but the snakes not out too much yet.

I guess I'm smarter than I thunk I was...just challenged and passed the Oregon OHV class, the cards on its way. Looking forward to riding with everyone, fingers crossed that the dates work out.
    You can't see it if you're not out there living it!

'94 Rainbow Warrior - not so rainbow any more - Clarke XT350 tank, Lizrdbrth's seat mod, Beer Trap Pegs, Ricochet skid plate and more.

Going through withdrawals, sold my other two TW's, down to one....Uhggghhh! Hidden Content

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links