Like Tree31Likes
  • 14 Post By maddawgj
  • 5 Post By Fred
  • 3 Post By Badgerflorida
  • 3 Post By Ken
  • 3 Post By admiral
  • 3 Post By maddawgj

Thread: Ride Report: Wildlife Dr in Savannah National Wildlife Preserve

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)

Ride Report: Wildlife Dr in Savannah National Wildlife Refuge

Wildlife Dr. is a one way, unpaved just over 4 mile long road that runs through the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge. It’s not something you’d want to take a Ferrari down, but any car will make it fine. I’ve even taken the 500CC thumper with Pirelli Diablos on it and stood on the pegs the whole ride. It is however a quite scenic and peaceful ride, more so from a standing position with an unobstructed view on a TW. Unobstructed because while it is legal to ride in South Carolina with out a helmet this is the only road that I do. The speed limit is 20mph but I’ve never seen anyone go over 5mph, myself included. After all the point is to see the wildlife, not rip on by it. Taking the long way and enjoying the quiet back roads I stopped across from one of the GA Ports Terminals to top off the fuel and stretch my legs while waiting for the train to cross the road into the port. Then it was on down an old forgotten 2 lane highway across the border. A couple more miles through the tidal marsh and a right turn into the entrance. No they aren’t kidding about the exit gate, I’ve heard of many people racing back the wrong way trying to get out before having to call Park Rangers. The road starts off in coastal lowlands with plenty of ducks, egrets and herons that where completely unbothered by me and the TDub slowly put-put-putting on by at 4mph. A couple of turtles seemed utterly shocked at my speed though. They dove under before I could get them to pose for a pic with the bike. Sorry Fred. Then it’s through the first hardgrove hammock and back out to tidal lowlands. Then on to the second hammock, this one has a small trail that loops back out to some duck impoundments and a photo blind. HalfwayMore impoundments Big gator. Fortunately he had already had lunch because he was only about 4 feet away from me right on the bank of the road. Little gator chilling on a logAll these off shoots have the same signs. So if I’m on a bike not a car is that ok? I mean no cars and no parking, doesn’t say anything about motorcycles right?Well after an hour of slow ride, standing on the pegs enjoying nature and the peace and quiet, 45mph on the highway feels really fast. Didn’t feel like calling it a day just yet though so back into GA and out towards Tybee Island stopping on Cocksper Island. Sadly then it was time to head back home to try to get done the stuff I should have been doing. Not a bad way to spend the day.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Sound like a wonderful relaxing ride. Those nice pictures sure are a bonus.
    The “no cars”, "no parking” signed closed gate looks to have an un-chained by-pass on the right ideal for your TW. Most federal sites I have been to have very explicit signage to specifically identify what is prohibited or permited so I would not have hesitated going down the grassy road.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Nice ride. Thanks for sharing. Bike is looking good, especially the new kicker. Cheers
    Ken, littletommy and maddawgj like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ken
    That looks like a really nice scenic ride. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawgj View Post
    Then on to the second hammock, this one has a small trail that loops back out to some duck impoundments and a photo blind. HalfwayMore impoundments
    Those tree's look pretty cool. Very nice picture. Gator reminds me of the pictures I took when we were down in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    Thanks Admiral, there are a lot of places that have palm trees but old Live Oaks draped in Spanish Moss is what always let me know I’m home. When I had to travel all the time it was when I first started seeing them again that I know I was almost there and I was finally back. That’s why they hold a special place for me besides just being so magestic and beautiful.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Sponosred Links