Succor Creek-Leslie Gulch - No escaping the heat on this one!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Well, I've been busier than a one legged man and a square dancing convention, but I was able to squeeze in a ride last week and just now have the time to post it up.

As are most of my rides, this was a day ride, and this time I started and finished from my house, rather than trailer up to a start point. First and last part of the ride was on pavement, with BLM dirt/gravel roads in-between.

Map visual of the ride

Northern portion

Southern portion

So I'm just tooling along on hwy 201 south of Adrian, Oregon along the Snake River when something catches my eye on the Idaho side. You just never know what you might see!

I've got a long ways to go

But it's worth it. Here I've entered the Succor Creek canyon area. Nice and green along the creek. Nice green shade tree too

Some impressive views of the canyon. Much more impressive in person than what the photo's can depict.

Just about out of the canyon, but I get one more cool view. A camp area is just a mile or two back from here (left of photo) that looks like it would be nice camping when it's not so darn hot

Headed out for some sagebrush riding again

Gotta stay on your toe's. You never know when you might run into the herd

Headed for Leslie Gulch and Owyhee Reservoir

Continued below
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

About half way between Succor Creek road and Owyhee Reservoir, you start the decent into Leslie Gulch.

The gulch is named after Hiram Leslie who was killed by lightning at this spot

Some more really impressive "you have to be here" views of the volcanic rock formations

Dago Gulch branches off Leslie Gulch, but you can't ride or walk very far before you encounter private land

Looks like this cabin is still in use by somebody. Bars on the windows. Probably to keep the not-so-nice perpetrators out

and then what do I find? A TW landing strip!

Well, as much as we would like to believe we are high flying on our TW's, turns out it's just the boat ramp

Nice little campground before you get to the boat ramp. I'm guessing no one is here because the temperature out

is about 1,000 degrees or so. Feels like it!. Because of some potential sunburn, I put my long sleeve shirt on here.

Actually, kept me cooler throughout the rest of the ride with the long sleeve shirt on.

Needed to head back home so I continued on the loop part of my ride. Depending on the map, this is either Sans Basin Rd or Poison Creek Rd,

or both. It comes out on Poison Creek Rd and you never get off the main road, so I'll call it Poison Creek Rd

I know this is part of Sans Basin. I stopped here to pee (which was a good thing and means I was staying hydrated). But looking

back in the middle of this valley, 2 great big mule deer jumped right out in front of me and crossed the road. Yep, I wasn't expecting that!!! Which is why

I have to pee now!

Just before re-entering civilized territory, I come across the old Poison Creek Stage Station. It was built in the mid 1880's and was one of the

stagecoach stations on the old stage route between Caldwell, Idaho and Jordan Valley, Oregon. The road I was riding was part of the old stage route.

The new(er) highway (U.S.95) is a few miles east of here and is of course the main route now between the Treasure Valley, Jordan Valley and points beyond.

Oh, one more thing, the stage station is on the National Register of Historic places, though it's falling into disrepair.

Well, that's all folks. It was hot, but very pretty for desert riding anyway.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Great pic's! that boat ramp is as far away from the water as some here in UT. It's amazing how those rock formations remain standing all these years. that is one picturesque little canyon!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

very nice looking area to ride in. Its been really hot here too so have been into swimming and staying cool but this weekend its finally supposed to drop to low 90's so time to dust off the tdub and do some exploring. Thanks for the cool pics.....Did you decide to leave the dog home for this ride?
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Nice pics! Its beautiful out there

Another enjoyable ride report. Thanks, it does a fellow good to see that when getting out myself is not an option.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

1,000 degrees! Wow, that's pretty hot! . I hear ya. I liked the rock formations, awesome! Can you imagine what that area was like when all those volcanos were active? I also like the shots of the wide open spaces. Riding the old stage road and finding the old stage station-very cool. Glad you got out for a ride. I always enjoy your ride reports, thanks for posting up.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Great looking ride Admiral, how long was it time wise and miles??
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Another great ride report!

But please, 1000 degrees? It was only like 950 down here so there's no way you topped 875 fahrenheit!

Thanks, and keep the inspiration coming!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Water is way down from our spring visit: BLT Offroad - Succor Creek

You could not see the concrete in the ramp.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-

If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links