Future Ride proposal
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Future Ride proposal

Future Ride proposal

Pushed the button to open the gate and we're off. Sue is in the lead and Dans eating dust as we "roar" thru our neighbor hood, dogs and people taking cover. We are scouting the next group ride invitational, Bohematosh Mt. Its located on the west side of Shasta Lake and offers wonderful views of the three Shastas, Shasta Lake, Shasta Dam and Mt. Shasta. We rode a few miles on county asphalt until we entered the Chappe motorcycle park. Sue and I avoided most of the park by traveling along side the Sacramento River to Shasta Dam. Nice lunch area at base of the dam.

After lunch we head west on Dry Creek Road. We ride a few miles up the mountain when I confess to Sue that I neglected to lube our chains from the last ride. Bad Dan! We continue to ride and notice a sign in the road that states road washed out , closed. Roads aren't closed when your on a TW, haha. So, off we go with Sue begrudgingly following. Sue starts in with what I call "round talk", as in we should turn around now! Haha. That ain't going to happen, full speed ahead! Come along Sue!

Wasn't long until I hear an awful mechanical breaking sound from my bike! I know from experience I just broke a chain. Dagnabitt! Good thing I bought a brand new chain breaking tool and extra master links. To bad I left them at home, dagnabitt, dagnabitt!! Sue doesn't know what has happened yet and is questioning me why I'm walking my bike down the hill. I was positioning myself between her and the way back in case, after her learning of my dilemma, she would save herself and abandon me. This simple act was probably the only thing I did right during my entire trial. We know the routine, cussing and kicking dirt, never seems to help. We wrap the ends of a Twenty foot 3/4 nylon rope around the alternate foot pegs on the two bikes and Sue towed me up hills and I coasted down hills. There is some risk involved, I mean Sue could drop the rope and make a run for it. She decided not to abandon me by saying, " 'tis the Season" what ever that means?

Sue delivers me to the security check point on the west side of Shasta Dam. We wanted to cross the dam and continue on our way. Not going to happen. The security guard with the gun said we couldn't! Before 9-11 Sue and I once thru watermelons over the face of the dam, back in 1973. Now there are very sophisticated check-points at each end of the half mile wide dam with guards in guard stations with guard orders who operate hydraulic road blocks preventing vehicle entry. The guard demanded ID and against my right to freely move about my country I produced my papers at the nazi check point! The guard reaches for my ID and I pull my license away and ask him if I don't show him my ID what would happen. Haha. He informed me I couldn't cross the dam. I offered him my Drivers License again and warned him he could develop an eye twitch by looking at it.The guard never asked for Sue's ID, I guess they just ID hard to look at people?

Sue and I double hump it six miles away to a motorcycle shop to purchase a master link to repair my bike. I was standing in the cycle shop admiring the black 2018 TW when Sue said the shop has no master links, but they do have a new chain with a master-link in it. I told her to get it. We return to the dam, losing my sun glasses somewhere along the way. The guard that I was giving a hard time on the other side of the dam earlier was now on this side. So we stop and I presented ID again. He said once was enough, he answered with an eye twitch. Ha I tried to warn him! I told the guard that compared to the guard on the other side of the dam that he was nicer but not as good looking. Haha. The guard motioned us thru. Not a single soul out here at the dam other then two guards and Sue and I, late after noon.

The new guard on the other side of the dam payed us no never mind. Didn't request to see my picture after noticing his co worker suffering from eye twitch. We start working on the repairs. I soon realize I could sure use a chain breaking tool right about now. Dagnabitt! Change of plans, Dan will ride Sue's bike back to the ranch and return with the rescue trailer. Sue will stay behind and help guard the dam from I don't know what.

I decided to return to the Ross Ranch by riding directly thru the middle of town during rush hour. I kept on my toes believe you me! There are crazy people on the road because I'm one of them. Haha. Let's ride! Speed limit is 35 and the traffic is heavy. Each red light has at least 8 to 12 cars lined up. In California lane splitting is legal, so to the front of the line I go. Haha. This is so cool. I come to another red light and proceed to the front of the line, how cool is this. Haha. This is no doubt cutting in line but it's legal. The light turns green and I'm like 0 to 35mph in a heart beat and approach the next intersection. The traffic signal is red so I proceed to the front of the line and there is a cop. I stop at the light and my tires are on the white line and I can see the front fender of the cruiser but I just look straight ahead. I've been watching to many cop videos on U-tube and my heart rate increases. Something is wrong here. Why should I fear the police when I have done nothing wrong? Either I have a guilty conscience or the cops are out of control. The light turns green and I'm like out of there. Im 0 to 35mph and take full control of the right lane and the cop just passes me like he didn't know who I was. Ha.

I return to the dam with trailer in tow and proceed to the security check point. I hold out my photo ID and the security guard just motions me thru. Maybe if I warn them to hold my photo at arms length they could avoid the symptomatic eye twitch. Warning: subject appears better further away. It's become dusk and with TW loaded we head for the traditional after ride pizza.

Still don't know if we can summit Bohemotosh Mountain or not? I understand the sign stated "road closed". But, it didn't say closed to SanDue on TW's. The saga continues as soon as Dan fixes his chain. Dirts a Flyen SanDue

Lake Shasta, Mount Shasta, Shasta Dam and Shasta Dan " I'm a little tea pot...".
    Attached Images Attached Images

So just what are you eye twitching chain breaking goofballs proposing?
    And when?
    And can I come if I bring more chain or should I arrange for alternate transportation?Burro-Foal_jpg_800x1000_q100.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 12-17-2017 at 07:44 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I have never broken a motorcycle chain, what are you doing?

When is this ride going to happen?
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Good story! How warm / cold was the ride?

Chain soaking in oil:
    Chain soaking.JPG

Master links -- never leave home without one:
    P4100623.JPG
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Dang Nazi checkpoints anyway. Papiere Bitte oder Überqueren des Dammes ist verboten. Wenn du keine Papiere hast, wirst du erschossen und getötet oder schlimmer noch.

For you German impaired speakers (readers).

Attention, Papers Please or crossing the dam will be forbidden. If you don't have any papers you will be shot and killed or even worse.

Dan contemplating on how to cross the Swiss Border...which is guarded by Nazi's.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Great story Dan! but where is the future ride proposal?. Like Tony's picture shows I carry an extra master link on my tw key. I'll have to check my tool kit again and make sure that little chain breaker tool is still in there. I'd be up for a winter ride.
    littletommy, SanDue and maddawgj like this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Ejfranz----- we rode 7000 miles with no mishaps. Lubed the chains before every ride. One day I said, I think it was to Joemama. I said, "Joemama I have never broken a chain". Since then we have broken two chains. Go figure. Is it Joemamas fault? Maybe.

Low 50' and a high of 75' northern Calif. is 15' above average at the moment, very nice.

Evan with an a------- Aren't you the guy that left behind a box of imported beers after the Nor Cal Outlaw Ride? Aren't you the guy that replaced Sue's TW windshield after she broke it during the Joemama Ride? Aren't you the guy that gave Dan the gift of a fire extinguisher after Dan burned up Fred's card table during the Fred ride? We sure do hope you make the next ride! Say yes!

When will this ride commence? Very good question that can't be answered without prerequisites. Such as, when will Fred be well enough that his wife Marisa allows him to participate. Where is Mhomadness, the Ride Badge creator. No sign of Mhomadness in a month!? Missing in action. Last but not least, we need to discover if our planned route is passable. We failed to finish our pre-ride because Sue broke Dan's chain somehow.

Dirts a Flyen SanDue
    Last edited by SanDue; 12-18-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Major Dan is a prime example of how the handle, "NutJob" came to be. Very proud of my nutty buddy.
    JoeNutJobMama

Sounds more like the nightmare I had a couple nights ago!
    littletommy, SanDue and maddawgj like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

New hip should be motorcycle rated by the New Year.
    Doing conditioning exercises to imitate throwing leg over TW saddle to get on the bike. However haven't figured out good exercise to model falling off the bike yet.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links