2018 Adventure Plans ? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: 2018 Adventure Plans ?

We'd like to hear from you a little more often around here ol timer!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jegarh View Post
    I just finished 3 days in BBNP but I was on my UraL Gear Up. We went on the last week before New Years. The weather was glorious. The park was FULL. I noticed that you were in the park in 2016 in March. I was there too doing "Uncle's Round The Bend" on my ct90. I have ridden it on my WR250R and my Weestrom as well. I will take the TW200 next time I go out.

I suggest getting a tent site at the Rio Grande Campground and then do day rides from there. We did it doing about 75 to 80 miles a day. That was also just before New Years but the weather was COLD and the tourists stayed home.

I'll be 80 in March and I refuse to get off of the bike.

I find that I meet the nicest people off road.

Jerry Rhodes
    Hoot Gibson and Motoad like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jegarh View Post
    I just finished 3 days in BBNP but I was on my UraL Gear Up. We went on the last week before New Years. The weather was glorious. The park was FULL. I noticed that you were in the park in 2016 in March. I was there too doing "Uncle's Round The Bend" on my ct90. I have ridden it on my WR250R and my Weestrom as well. I will take the TW200 next time I go out.

I suggest getting a tent site at the Rio Grande Campground and then do day rides from there. We did it doing about 75 to 80 miles a day. That was also just before New Years but the weather was COLD and the tourists stayed home.

I'll be 80 in March and I refuse to get off of the bike.

I find that I meet the nicest people off road.

Jerry Rhodes
    Montezuma and I camped at Rio Grande{as did FW Gary, Borneo, and Ebbanflood} for most of the trip....Montezuma and I spent the first night in Terlingua before heading into the park and then one night Jim{Ebb} sprang for a couple of rooms at the Chisos Mountain Lodge since we used Montezuma's Pick up to haul Jim's bike to Terlingua for repairs....that night the Judge and Nick got drunk as Hell....and a good time was had by all.... Still can't figure out how that Mexican was talked into walking them back to the rooms... with Nick's stash of goodies in hand:

Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 019.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 026 (2).JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 033.JPGThe Window Resized 1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gulfrider, Elvesus and TopPredator like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

There's a rally March 22-25 in Big Bend. The plan is to stay in Study Butte and ride out each day in groups of whoever feels like riding each area. I'm going. If anyone wants to go earlier, I can meet up and stay in the Park or anywhere else. But on Sunday the 25, I plan to head up to Utah to the San Rafael Swell Area Kris is talking about.
    Greg
    '17 TW200, '13 DR650, '07 HD Heritage Classic, '15 HD StreetGlide (deceased), '75 Yamaha 650 (deceased)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

One correction, Jim's bike never got hauled in the truck. The starter was bad and I was pull started many times, once by Nick's truck and many times by Gary's KLR but I rode it to Chiso's Lodge and then rode it another 500 miles from there to Austin with Borneo and Gary. That bar at Chiso's might have fogged your memory a little. When I checked in at Chiso's I had to leave it idling outside and ran in and ran out. When I was coming out a guy said "you shouldn't leave an air cooled bike running", I said, I'll turn it off if you'll help me push start it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    Montezuma and I camped at Rio Grande{as did FW Gary, Borneo, and Ebbanflood} for most of the trip....Montezuma and I spent the first night in Terlingua before heading into the park and then one night Jim{Ebb} sprang for a couple of rooms at the Chisos Mountain Lodge since we used Montezuma's Pick up to haul Jim's bike to Terlingua for repairs....that night the Judge and Nick got drunk as Hell....and a good time was had by all.... Still can't figure out how that Mexican was talked into walking them back to the rooms... with Nick's stash of goodies in hand:

Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 019.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 026 (2).JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 033.JPGThe Window Resized 1.jpg

I will be returning to explore more of the Sweetwaters once snow melts, likely mid to late summer before things are open above 11,000 ft. Folks are welcome to join. Primitive camping above 9,000 ft. while scenic requires navigating an occasionally rutted access road as seen in following video. RV rated campsites are available down around Walker River and Bridgeport @ ~6,000 ft. Besides Donzo found some single track trails high up there. This is another area whose rich mining history created a rich network of roads for us to play on.

There are also a good 20 plus miles of mild to wild single tracks between Carson Pass and the Bear Reservoirs I need a safety partner to help complete, plus other great trails some legally accessing The Pacific Crest Trail. This might be as early as mid June and available to NorCal Nutcases.

Last edited by Fred; 02-09-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    Gulfrider and Allanb like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Anyone itching for a May Ride can likely convince Adam-in-Nevada and I to guide one of these rides in our neck of the woods on short notice. We normally get Evan out here annually to do a little bark busting' and he usually goes home intact and happy.
    Gulfrider, ejfranz and Allanb like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

I’m aiming to join in on the “Moab Mayhem” next year (2019), but it’s coming up too soon to do it this year (2018) – as you’ll appreciate, there’s a certain amount of “logistics” involved, not least the getting there (did you have to park the entire continent so far away ?)

So start thinking about it, it’s going to be a pretty much open ended trip as far as I’m concerned, as I expect most of you will be running in the opposite direction by then – it’ll take some time to hunt you down

You have been warned …….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Yeah Purple!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    I’m aiming to join in on the “Moab Mayhem” next year (2019), but it’s coming up too soon to do it this year (2018) – as you’ll appreciate, there’s a certain amount of “logistics” involved, not least the getting there (did you have to park the entire continent so far away ?)

So start thinking about it, it’s going to be a pretty much open ended trip as far as I’m concerned, as I expect most of you will be running in the opposite direction by then – it’ll take some time to hunt you down

You have been warned …….
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

So Purple, did you buy and stash the Mr.Bracket TW200 here in the New World for your 2019 ride? If not use of a Buddy Bike might be arranged.
    Any proposed international meet-up might rejuvenate interest in Moab for 2019 so bring it on!
    This year a smaller group will tour a portion of the San Rafael Swale some 60 miles by air to the west ( likely 120 miles by roads); have lost track if anyone plans to go enjoy Moab's madness this spring.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Yep - Mr Brackets TW is my proposed ride - although it's likely to need some tweaking before a lighter rider mounts her - but, all things are possible with that particular bike - (and thanks for the offer of a back-up)

Going to have to see how this years Moab turns out - but I will be there in 2019 regardless - It was Hoots response that provoked my own - he "doesn't like crowds". From what I can tell of previous years, the "ride boards" fill up pretty quickly - I'll happily ride with a group - or just with three or four bikes - I figure going out on your own is asking for it

I like to play it by ear - rough or smooth - all the same to me (he says, all confident like)

But I'm not sure "fighting for a place" on a particular ride is what the TW is all about - but I'll take it as I find it ........
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links