2018 Adventure Plans ? - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: 2018 Adventure Plans ?

I do not recall any problems about limiting group size for any of the Moab rides. We started one ride with perhaps 18 or more TWs and various elements broke away throughout the day. As long as no one left by themselves it was not a problem. We just try put a brightly colored helmeted volunteer in the sweep position so leader can periodically see if the herd is still there. Lead position changes frequently as we are an unorganized rabble. No worries. Certainly a smaller group of 4 to 6 riders is easier to manage but by no means do we have any rigid rules nor competition for available space.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Cool - I have no idea of how this works (which is my problem - lol)

Needless to say, I will be watching this years events "closely" ......
    littletommy likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    Now that the Holiday Season has passed, who has solid plans for TW Adventure Riding in 2018?

Since I turn 69 in March I know better than to plan to far out in advance....but at this point in time, depending on how my back and health holds out, I want to get back down to Big Bend, and make at least one more "local" 3 or 4 days adventure ride around the Midwest during good weather{which mean no freaking cold and a good chance of warm and dry} of the coming year...

What you say?

Attachment 149305
    That 3-4 day adventure ride in the Midwest sounds interesting.

Doug...
    littletommy and Hoot Gibson like this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbanflood View Post
    One correction, Jim's bike never got hauled in the truck. The starter was bad and I was pull started many times, once by Nick's truck and many times by Gary's KLR but I rode it to Chiso's Lodge and then rode it another 500 miles from there to Austin with Borneo and Gary. That bar at Chiso's might have fogged your memory a little. When I checked in at Chiso's I had to leave it idling outside and ran in and ran out. When I was coming out a guy said "you shouldn't leave an air cooled bike running", I said, I'll turn it off if you'll help me push start it.
    Hell, you are right, don't think I was hungover until after the stay at the lodge... ...this is what happens when you near 69 Jim, you get a severe case of "I can't remember Shit" disease....and there you are...

Just to be clear, Jim and I took Montezuma's truck into Terlingua, sans the bike, to pick up a part at a local shop...that's where we spotted Wily Coyote and Jim got a couple of photos, that I do remember...
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 02-12-2018 at 07:36 AM.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by DougDotyTW200 View Post
    That 3-4 day adventure ride in the Midwest sounds interesting.

Doug...
    I have Baggs pretty well convince, along with Montezuma, and another name[I forget, it's that almost 69 thingy} member...we will keep you informed as to the plans as they become more clear and the date approaces...
    Tweaker, Fred and littletommy like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    Hell, you are right, don't think I was hungover until after the stay at the lodge... ...this is what happens when you near 69 Jim, you get a severe case of "I can't remember Shit" disease....and there you are...

Just to be clear, Jim and I took Montezuma's truck into Terlingua, sans the bike, to pick up a part at a local shop...that's where we spotted Wily Coyote and Jim got a couple of photos, that I do remember...
    I enjoyed the ride with you to Terlingua, we got a lot of great pics that day. I am down in the Keys now and have been giving the TW a workout keeping up with traffic on route 1. It has also been getting plenty of rest under palm trees. I was thinking about you, I know the Keys is one of your favorite places.
    littletommy and Hoot Gibson like this.

Returning to the Sweetwaters is high on my 2018 hit list. Two camping trips last year over 8 days still left vast areas yet unridden. Most riding is easy to intermediate but there are challenging areas as well as nose-bleed elevations up to 13,000 ft.

2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Returning to the Sweetwaters is high on my 2018 hit list. Two camping trips last year over 8 days still left vast areas yet unridden. Most riding is easy to intermediate but there are challenging areas as well as nose-bleed elevations up to 13,000 ft.
    If you are considering a gathering for this area in 2018 and want accomplices err... I mean riding friends, let us know a general time frame (when you think of a time frame-no hurry) so we could consider another trip down yonder and put it in our plans (think vacation requests for us working stiffs).

If you are just talking out loud (typing) and want to ride solo and don't want any stinking accomplices err... I mean riding friends, I won't be offended if you say so. Sometimes it's fun to ride solo or without a bunch of TW hooligans tagging along causing problems.
    littletommy and Allanb like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Scheduling will depend on how much snow accumulates this winter and how fast it melts out. I'm thinking late summer again, late August or early September .
    Admiral, I always consider it an honor to go ride with you as well as with so many of the other fine characters here.

Besides, it is safer to have a buddies when pushing into the unknown. We still need to make it over the pass to the eastern half of the mountain range. We came close when we visited the stone miner's cabin around 11,000 ft elevation.

I do love my solo trips but realize it comes at greater risk. Next trip I want to range farther afield more than a day's hike away from help if things go wrong, a buddy helps make this possible.
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

First weekend in May is the Green Ridge MD ride
    Fred and littletommy like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links