2018 Adventure Plans ?
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: 2018 Adventure Plans ?

2018 Adventure Plans ?

Now that the Holiday Season has passed, who has solid plans for TW Adventure Riding in 2018?

Since I turn 69 in March I know better than to plan to far out in advance....but at this point in time, depending on how my back and health holds out, I want to get back down to Big Bend, and make at least one more "local" 3 or 4 days adventure ride around the Midwest during good weather{which mean no freaking cold and a good chance of warm and dry} of the coming year...

What you say?

Big Bend Hoot Juan Grave.jpg
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Hoot, I don't think that I can make Big Bend this year, working on Morocco for next November. The 3 or 4 day (long weekend) midwest ride when the weather warms up will work for me.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Heading to Big Bend on Wednesday for five days! Weather will be in the 60’s. Leaving the bigger bikes at home and riding the hobbit.
    2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx
    2009 Kawasaki KLR650
    2001 Yamaha TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HobbitRider View Post
    Heading to Big Bend on Wednesday for five days! Weather will be in the 60’s. Leaving the bigger bikes at home and riding the hobbit.
    I'm very jealous. Have a great time, its an amazing place. As I learned from one of the Guru's of this forum, bring your passport and take the row boat across to Boquillas. Great food and great people there, you won't regret it.
    littletommy and Fred like this.

There are a lot of weekends to ride, if you are interested we are doing our annual Dual Sport ride in Green Ridge State Forest, MD on the first weekend in May
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Once crossed Rio Grande at Boquillas to visit a Mexican fluorite mine. Back then the international bridge was open, unguarded, deserted, and only living things for many miles around were a row of turkey vultures lining the bridge's concrete railing waiting their turn to feast on bloated horse carcass below. As I slowly drove across the vultures lifted of one by one in the hundred degree plus heat. Definitely a surrealistic welcome to Mexico back when international relations were a bit more relaxed. Would have made a good scene for a spaghetti western.
    So why not go back Hoot, get a once in a lifetime ironic experience by swimming across the Rio into Mexico and then back? Wetback Hoot!
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

we did the big bend in dec 2017. really liked it there. boquillas is the last class b border crossing i know of. the people were very nice. the rowboat was cool as was the horse ride into town. looking forward to that trip again. big bend has been discovered. from what i understand it is still has the lowest visitation of any national park in the u.s.
    PlacerLode likes this.

Pretty sure we're riding San Rafael Swell area 24 March - 1 April, skipping Moab this year. We are picking this time of year to take advantage of one of the days being a holiday saving us some vacation time. I hope I don't have to worry about vacation time in 2 to 2-1/2 years from now.

Was informed by a forum member of a motorcycle Rally at Big Bend in March. Not in the cards for us but it might be for some of you others.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Big Bend IMO is best when the crowds are not there....February and early March{before spring break} and October and mid November, seen to be best for smaller crowds and great weather....not sure if a"Rally" is in my plans... I enjoyed Moab 2015 with 30 or so, spread out....but being a semi~loner I prefer the wide open spaces and folks spread out....but hey, that's just Hoot....
    Fred, Dryden-Tdub and Ebbanflood like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

I just finished 3 days in BBNP but I was on my UraL Gear Up. We went on the last week before New Years. The weather was glorious. The park was FULL. I noticed that you were in the park in 2016 in March. I was there too doing "Uncle's Round The Bend" on my ct90. I have ridden it on my WR250R and my Weestrom as well. I will take the TW200 next time I go out.

I suggest getting a tent site at the Rio Grande Campground and then do day rides from there. We did it doing about 75 to 80 miles a day. That was also just before New Years but the weather was COLD and the tourists stayed home.

I'll be 80 in March and I refuse to get off of the bike.

I find that I meet the nicest people off road.

Jerry Rhodes
    Mel, littletommy, Fred and 5 others like this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links