San Rafael Swell Utah 24 March to 1 April 2018
Close

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree2163Likes

Thread: San Rafael Swell Utah 24 March to 1 April 2018

San Rafael Swell Utah 24 March to 1 April 2018

Anyone is welcome to join us.

Edited 22 March 2018:

This is who I have on the list. People tell me things and I sometimes forget them so if I left you off by accident let me know and I'll add you on the list.

In list

Admiral's (2)
    Fred
    Tweaker
    Dirtluvr
    Bodi (partial)
    Bad luck (maybe)
    Commandog (planning stages)
    TrialRun-Arriving 26/27th
    LuvNot
    Plumbstraight 23/24th ish
    Alberta Darrel
    BillPacific (p.m. 26th)
    Allanb
    Wandering Larry plus 1 (idmccain)
    Donovan Schmidt
    krismarc
    White Elephant Crew- 90%
    Idaho Larry
    TW Shell

Tuna

Out list
    -Rider21 (can't make it now. Has audition for Dancing with the Stars). I may have made that up.

-SanDue's (can't make it now. Lost their matches in a class V rapid on Cry Me a River and decided if they can't star a fire it wasn't worth going). We told them we had 'em covered on the whole lighter and match thing but they have strict guidelines to follow so without matches, they are out.

Mrs. Admiral and I are planning on going to San Rafael Swell 24 March - 1 April 18. We would arrive the morning of the 24th and leave on 1 April.

We most likely will not go over to Moab this year though it's not that far. We've been to Moab 3 years in a row and want to see and explore some other areas. There is still a ton we have not seen in Moab so there is plenty explore for a future Moab, just not this year for us.

I've got some GPS tracks of trails for San Rafael Swell from Larry and another www link if anyone is interested.

Our proposed camp area is in the area on Temple Mt. Road here: (TBD). Looking at the map it looks like it's a fair distance to gas so you would probably want to bring some gas with you as well.

This SRS area is rather large and it's possible we may move camp further north off the interstate to ride the northern roads and trails. Fred has mentioned and has camped in Buckhorn Wash as I recall so that is a possibility. If
    we end up riding all the trails here early, we may move to another area of Utah but we'll wing that when the time comes.

Camp Location (TBD-Working on this with others)

Helpful Links (if anyone has any more helpful links, send them to me and I'll add them here.

**http://www.sanrafaelcountry.com/maps...vehiclemap.pdf This is the main map I printed off for use. It lists trail names, difficulty and some other info I can't understand yet.

https://www.castlecountry.com/media/...-Trail-Map.pdf (List Trail & road numbers, trail difficulty color code, and nice relief map) This is the one I've printed off and made several copies.

**https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...empleMtRec.pdf (This is the map Trialrun provided which lists some of the same things as above and can also be loaded into Avenza Map program on your phone)

Trial GPX files can be found and downloaded from this link:Scroll down the page to find San Rafael Swell GPX Tracks; Utah GPS Tracks // ADVENTR.co

Buy and find Utah maps: Bureau of Land Management: Statewide Index
    Last edited by admiral; 03-22-2018 at 10:55 AM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sounds like Fun. I will be there sometime but cant make the entire week. I'm sure you know but these dates are during Jeep Safari and Spring Break for many Utah Schools. Assume you plan to ride the Red, Green, Blue Trails North of camp and Waterfall Trail and Behind the Reef Jeep Road along the Reef to the South. I think there are some Slot Canyons like Ding & Dang to Hike in the area and also Goblin Valley. If you move I suggest to camp near Swayze cabin area South of I70 this will give you great access to Eagle Canyon, Coal Wash, Fix It Pass and the Devils Racetrack and some POI like Dutchmen Arch and the Head of Sinbad.
    Tweaker, admiral, Fred and 2 others like this.
    2007 TW

Dirtluvr and I plan on joining this group. That spot is one my brother and I talked about when he was here. Not too far to the West we camped at Torrey outside Capital Reef and did Noatom Rd down to waterpocket fold and up the Burr trail to bolder and back to Torrey. I would do that ride again because I took very little pics. Wanted to do Cathedral valley too but didn’t cross the river because is was kinda deep for Dirtluvr.
    littletommy and admiral like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I am game to join you folks!
    Now if I can only find Swayze Cabin on my maps.
    I discovered one can call the park and get an automated report of Fremont River water depth at he river crossing into western approach to Cathedral Valley. Very helpful, when I called ahead the report of 14" had me check carefully before deciding to chicken out and ride in from the east. The stream velocity and standing waves at the reported 14" was just too intimidating.
    Last edited by Fred; 01-14-2018 at 09:33 AM.
    littletommy, admiral and Tweaker like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Are you guys talking about this crossing on Hartnet Road? The Cathedral Valley is a must-do in my opinion. The loop is great and takes a half day to do it right, but you can get in and out from Caineville Wash Road without having to do this river crossing. This stuff is not really do-able from this Swell area camping though. Going to, or coming from, as extra stops though, for sure.

Fred, PlacerLode, Tweaker and 2 others like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    What is do-able, and I would submit for consideration, is a run from Admiral's proposed camp out to Panorama Point in the Maze District. As its name foretells, Panorama Point should offer amazing views of the canyons and buttes below, as well as Island in the Sky in the distance. That, combined with a quick out and back to Cleopatra's Chair are part of Trail #71 in the Moab 4x4 book. This these upper destinations are ones that we did not make it to on our ride in the Maze District last year.

It is 46 miles from Hwy 24 to Hans Flat Ranger Station. From there it is another 11 miles to Panorama Point and another 4 mile round trip to Cleopatra's Chair. If riding out from camp, fuel may be a factor, but it shouldn't be hard to bring some. Another option would be to load up some bikes on a trailer to drive down near the ranger station to unload.

- Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I am game to join you folks!
    Now if I can only find Swayze Cabin on my maps.
    I discovered one can call the park and get an automated report of San Rafael's water depth at he river crossing into western approach to Cathedral Valley. Very helpful, when I called ahead the report of 14" had me check carefully before deciding to chicken out and ride in from the east. The stream velocity and standing waves at the reported 14" was just too intimidating.
    For reference, here is one of the Jeep Routes from the Temple Mtn. Rd. Staging area (my proposed 1st Camp) to Swasey's Cabin. It's about 20 miles on this route. If we move camp up there at some point it's about 57 miles by pavement until it's time to get off the interstate. I'm guessing the shorter route is not friendly to campers and Wa Larry (sorry Larry it's shorter to write Wa Larry than Leisure Time Larry) can tell us if this is true since he's ridden here.

It's about 10 miles from the I-70 exit to Swasey's Cabin
    Fred and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Swasey cabin, eagle canyon rd. (38.8355983,-110.8100367)
    Last edited by Tweaker; 01-14-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    admiral, Fred and littletommy like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodi View Post
    Sounds like Fun. I will be there sometime but cant make the entire week. I'm sure you know but these dates are during Jeep Safari and Spring Break for many Utah Schools. Assume you plan to ride the Red, Green, Blue Trails North of camp and Waterfall Trail and Behind the Reef Jeep Road along the Reef to the South. I think there are some Slot Canyons like Ding & Dang to Hike in the area and also Goblin Valley. If you move I suggest to camp near Swayze cabin area South of I70 this will give you great access to Eagle Canyon, Coal Wash, Fix It Pass and the Devils Racetrack and some POI like Dutchmen Arch and the Head of Sinbad.
    The Swasey's Cabin Loop looks fun.

Not my video.
    Last edited by admiral; 03-11-2018 at 09:02 AM.
    Fred, littletommy and Hoot Gibson like this.

From Admiral's Temple Mountain staging area there seems to be much more riding than I first thought. Multiple names for same roads gets confusing.
    One loop with multiple options I had considered used the Wildhorse Road system from Goblin Valley heading SW until it hits the Factory Butte/ Temple Junction/Hidden Splendor Road. Smooth cruising at least in the southern reaches with lots of the bentonite sediments which can turn nasty when wet.wildhorse road.jpg

Certainly I enjoyed Cathedral Valley even though high water prevented me from attempting the full loop. I would be willing to return to see other half. Nice Cathedral Valley Campground at northern end is suitable for bike-in camping. Dispersed camping is permitted along BLM land on eastern approaches and has smooth access as does the Swing Arm City ORV park a few miles further east on HWY 24. Capitol Reef map.jpg cathedral.jpg
    admiral, littletommy and grewen like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links