Quick Ride to Paddock Reservoir
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    “From April to November, cachers should be careful of rattlesnakes. Remember, of course, that rattlesnakes do not eat much. It is just the first bite that hurts”.

The above is part of a geocacher's caution statement when describing his cache hide. This stuck with me for the whole day!

Earlier this week, son #3 and I had a rare day off at the same time, so we decided to go for a ride. On this day we decided to ride and explore Paddock Reservoir, and Dam.
    Paddock is about 70-80 miles NW of Boise. I also threw in some cache's, which is the first time out caching for #3...and he thought it was fun. In the end I think I programmed to many of the cache's, which took a little attention away from the riding portion, but #3 didn't complain and said he had a great day.

Found the first area to unload after the pavement ended on Little Willow Rd.

Here we are at the first cache. The rattle snake warning was from this one...the first cache on the day. You will notice a re-occurring theme, which I will explain latter.

We are starting to take notice of where the caches are hidden. I'm thinking a ferocious Rattle Snake is about to come out at any time. By the way...one of these caches was name "Rattle Snake Way".

Thinking snakes the whole way, I presume this was the last person who tried to find the last cache!

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

The re-occurring theme: Notice #3 is reaching into all the potential snake bit caches. Hey, someone has to take the pictures, and its my camera. ha ha.

On to the last cache of the day, and before we get to the reservoir...This one was named "Floating Cows". Didn't really understand what that meant until we got there. Black dots out in the distance are "floating cows" on the now mostly empty reservoir.

So this brings me back to the last cache. Just before arriving, we discover the cache is being guarded by a Bull Snake. I think the snake is trying to tell us "DO NOT ENTER, ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK". So we proceed to the cache anyway!

For obvious reasons which will become clear, we don't have any pictures of the last cache, but I will tell you about it. So we amble off the rigs and start climbing around the rocks on the downhill side of the road, when we hear this very distinctive "rattle sound". WE FREEZE. #3 and I are several feet apart, him being farther downhill. Before I could get out the words "Rattle Snake", all I see is dust where my son had just been standing! We heard the snake rattle a couple of more times as I moved away.

The good thing is, 1. we only heard it and didn't see it, and 2. because the rattling encouraged #3 to move, it put him in a better position to find the cache! Ye Aw.

Onto more riding and exploring. Here we are riding out in the dry reservoir bed. Passed these floating cows once, but on the way back they decided to act like we were rounding them up to go to market.

More views of around the reservoir.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Now we are attempting to find our way to the dam. Here on top of the earthen dam, we find a control valve wheel.

Down here were this guy is fishing is what the control valve opens up. It lets water out, duh on my part!

Here's us on the dam. Not too big, but it works!

Although not to hot on this day, about 72, Georgie still needs to cool off for a swim.

Old spillway head gate.

Doesn't look like the spillway gets used much. Must be the drought conditions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I just thought of this, have you noticed how Georgie (dog) is in so many pictures? I think she is a photo hog. But hey, she goes where I go!

Here's where the spillway empties into.

We are on the earthen dam, look downstream and see the old dam.

Road heading back to main road. Funny how the roads look so smooth in the pictures, but are ruff as all heck when actually riding!

Almost back to the truck. I don't think we parked here? Must be someone elses truck.

Got to get our "Splash Photo's" in. #3 sucks at taking pictures. I had to drive through that creek about 5 times before he got a pic of me actually going through it! At least he got one before I got water logged! He's a good guy.

you get to have all the fun! im moving to idaho dammit!
    '01 TW200: Tusk D-Flex Handguards w/ Spoilers, Pro Taper Grips, LEDs in Idiot Lights, Headlight Rockguard, Stearns Seat Pad, Oversized Footpegs and a Loud Ass Horn -SOLD
    '91 TW200: Bone Stock

Great story and pics. Beautiful country in your neck of the woods. We have a few rattlers in my part of Illinois, but they are few and far between----- thank God. I used to catch Garter snakes when I was a kid, but a few years ago I caught one (grabbing it behind the head)---- he immediately coiled himself around my wrist, and I screamed like a little girl as I threw it off me. My snake days are behind me.
    two 2009 TWs, Ricochet skidplates, Moose Racing 'Expedition' rack (like a Borrega), DID 428V O-ring chains, DMoto2 -style black steel footpegs from eBay

Great Ride! I gotta get off my @## and get into geo-caching.

I'll have to figure out something to use as my trademark.

As for the cows, I'd bet they get feed or salt lick delivered by 4 wheeler.

Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Looks like you had a great time, and put a smile on the face of lots of folks. Geo-Caching can be lots of fun (for the whole Family). Saskia and I enjoyed it alot in the Baja Bug for a couple of years and then we stopped for reasons unknown. Maybe I should get back into it on the T-Dubb. Nice pictures! Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Thanks for the Great Riding Report/Story.

I had laugh couple of times when reading the story... ha ha ha

Yes, very enjoyable photos too.

I cache too! Well not much in a while. I use the same name if you want to check out our caches.

I've been through SE Idaho in February a few times. The snow is usually over the fences. Beautiful country.

We snowmobile out of West Yellowstone and my favorite areas are south into Idaho.

I think I found one cache in Idaho. I think it was a park and grab under a bench near Driggs.

I think the Tetons are even prettier from the Idaho side. I also noticed the real estate prices were really high if there was a view of the Tetons.

I don't think we're going to go out there this year but I hope to next year!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links