• 1 Post By phelonius
  • 3 Post By Willys714
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By tuna
  • 1 Post By Willys714
  • 1 Post By Willys714

Thread: Hammertime Lucerne, Cal.

Hammertime Lucerne Valley, Cal.

A weeklong series of desert racing starts in Johnson Valley Feb 2nd. it’s called “King of the Hammers” because they start these races pointed up some nasty boulder choked trail named after Hammers, claw, sledge ...fun stuff.

I like the Motos and last year there was a great ride by Colton Haaker on a Husky.
    He chased Taylor and Webb all over the Dez only to ride up on one crashed out in a fast section. He stopped racing without hesitation ( I saw this buried in a u-toob, he is humble too) after helping out he finishes the race shaken.
    ‘The winner missed a check and the Officials give Colton a minute of adjusted time (& the win) for being a stand up guy.

I’m looking forward to the night time motorcycle mass start up into the rocks Sat. Night. The videos just don’t do it justice.
    Anyone coming out be aware other than the temp.Hammertown there is nothing out here, no water, fuel and no cell when you need it.
    Over New Years a Ultralight crashed next to our camp and the reponse was 20 mins. For a CHP chopper and 50 mins. Until rescue rolled up. This year all the racers are required to carry Tracker/PLBs so they can find them all this time.

Here is their schedule and promoters link.
    https://ultra4racing.com/
    Hammertown opens on Fri. 2/2. Motos is 2/3 and 2/4. Shootout is on Mon. 2/5. UTVs are Wed. 2/7.EMC is Thurs. 2/8 and KOH is Fri. 2/9.

Bonus prize: anyone (else) who can get a stock TW up the Soggy Sand hill, I’ll buy you a tee shirt.
    https://ultra4racing.com/kids-queen-...s-shirt-purple
    Last edited by Willys714; 01-20-2018 at 03:32 PM.

The King of The Hammer's competition has evolved an amazing class of buggy capable of hopefully stable racing the 100mph flats & then rock crawling through increadibly nasty boulder fields. This usually requires conflicting design requirements with occasional mishaps; big tires and long suspension are a handful @ warp speeds.. Really impressive stuff. DSC_0364.jpg hammer crash.jpg images.jpeg

I would not want to try it on a motorcycle. "Taste the Rock!"face plant.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 01-20-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    grewen and Big6Lug like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

They seem to drive their vehicles rather recklessly. I also note evidence of how dry it is when that biker was seen licking dew off of the rock.
    Ebbanflood likes this.
    Phelonius

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I lived in Lucerne for about 30 years. This must be Lucerne Valley.

Oops, yep Lucerne Valley west of 29 palms and east of Hysteria and Victimville.
    I like this forum because of the nationwide and even intl. rider membership, it provides a wide range of ideas and opinions.
    It does make it tougher to post because all the local acronyms are useless and you need to be very specific.
    I can’t get away with using PCH, ACH, GMR, ROTW, Ortega, Snake, Bee, Mule, Doran, Calico, Slash X, buttes, Soggy, ocotillo or glamis as any kind of a recognizable landmark but anyone who rides should research and ride all these at least once.

Post away Willys714, you can alway provide links, or Google Earth screenshots of these impressive routes for us uninitiated. A bunch of us should join you to watch the races.
    Last edited by Fred; 01-20-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    littletommy likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

littletommy and MidnightRider like this.

Boone road will take you into Means dry lake, where they set up “Hammertown”
    I use Bessemer mine road and camp on Soggy Dry lake, harder to access but much less crowded.
    The easy access to Means mixes rock crawlers with weekend warriors and it gets dangerous.
    Over the weekend a rider was killed riding his quad at Means (link with few details)
    https://www.sbsun.com/2018/01/21/santa-ana-man-killed-in-off-road-vehicle-crash-in-johnson-valley-area

My biggest fear are the Razor/ Rhinos UTV drivers. They are wide so they cover all the trail and most the time they are driven with carefree abandon.
    With helmets, harness, cage and bumpers they are prepped to crash into anything or anyone. I avoid them as best I can, I stay off the main trail and ride hard right on a trail if no other choice. I’ve been passed by a Truggy on my dirt bike and it will rock your world, but these guys are pros and you just need to hold your line and they will be gone. Wish I could say this about UTVs
    Fred likes this.

Are you going Willys? I'll be there wednesday through sunday. A couple of my friends race the moto every year. No thanks! But the pros are fun to watch!
    Getting the Tdub ready since my BW is not running.
    07 TW200
    3 85 BW200's

Yes, I’m going to watch the bikes run Saturday night at the Hammers and Sunday watch the race from the west end near the rockpile. I would really Ike to see the KoTH races but have to work.
    We’ve had high wind warnings so all the trails will be fresh, but no wind forecast for the weekend and temps in the 70’s should be a great week.
    Big6Lug likes this.

Sponosred Links