East West Idaho T2.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: East West Idaho T2.

East West Idaho T2.

Was looking at route T2 on motorcycle jazz.com and thought, why not? Anyone else interested in a two day journey across Southern Idaho? I have not camped with the TW as my main transport so advice on that is welcome.

I will have to look into this T2 if it’s only 2 days. T1 is long and technical=not for me.
    littletommy, Ken and TopPredator like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

WOW. How have I never heard of that website before. While I have lived in Oregon for 5+ years, I am still an Idaho boy at heart and have dreamed of doing a trip like the T1 or T2. The T2 would be a much greater possibility due to the only 2+ day commitment. I am very interested in doing this ride with a group of TW riders. My parents are in Pocatello and could provide a place to stay or maybe help transport vehicles to the starting point. I also have a friend who lives in Oakley and other family in the Boise area.
    White Elephant, thanks for getting this rolling and let me know if you actually start planning the trip.
    admiral, littletommy, Ken and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I am thinking early to mid June for this run. Dry enough to avoid most of the mud but not so hot as of will be in July. Might throw in a float down the hoback on the snake river since I am only an hour an a half away.

I think I wouldn't be able to make those dates as they conflict with other rides and plans. I would agree any earlier may cause you to deviate from the route due to lingering snow in some of the mountainous area's or high rivers. A couple years ago we rode in the mountain range between Oakley and City of Rocks in May and found some snow that was impassable. We also rode in the South Hills (south of Twin Falls) in late Jun and all the trails were free of snow that year.

If you stick to the main trail, Crutcher Crossing will be a Crutch if the water level is too high. Here is the crossing in July 2010. We had lunch here and I noticed while the water level wasn't real high is was fairly swift. Just something to watch for.
    Temp 055.jpg

Here was our descent into Crutcher Crossing from the North. You can see the road on the other side of the river in the distance.
    Temp 050.jpg

Another difficult area is the roads down and up to Indian Hot Springs on the Bruneau River. Pretty rocky and steep. Both of these crossings are shown in Big Dogs Adventures Blog here: T2

Here is Motorcycle Jazz www: MotorcycleJazz - T2

Another www which has gps info for the T2 route is GPSKevin. This site claims to have made corrections to the original or other alternates. I did notice on gpskevin's site he shows the main route which in one area near the Spivey Ranch in Owyhee County the route down Hogpen Gulch through the Ranch is closed and you cannot get through there. There are ways to bypass this area but they will add miles if you don't deviate from the route earlier. I have ridden that area a few times and you can ride yourself into a dead-end pretty easy.

GPSKevin is also one of the main www's which has the TAT and I've heard people complain about non-existent route or errors so a good study of both websites is in order.
    https://sites.google.com/site/gpskev...-tour-of-idaho

However, I think you two are probably pretty familiar with the route and most of it is pretty easy except for a couple places. Big Dog mentions how it felt to descend into the sections I mentioned above and I felt the same way dropping into Crutcher Crossing. Riding out I didn't feel as bad but I was still on high alert.
    Last edited by admiral; 01-23-2018 at 09:07 AM.
    littletommy, Elvesus, Ken and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Admiral, thanks for the extra info on the route.
    I am also unavailable for any additional rides in June. The best time for me would be Fall. If it was timed right, it would be cooler and some of the trees may have changed to their Fall colors, but likely would not have snowed yet.
    littletommy, admiral and ejfranz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain yawp View Post
    Admiral, thanks for the extra info on the route.
    I am also unavailable for any additional rides in June. The best time for me would be Fall. If it was timed right, it would be cooler and some of the trees may have changed to their Fall colors, but likely would not have snowed yet.
    I didn't say it but yes that is the best time for me also (Fall).
    littletommy likes this.

The only thing I have planned for the fall is the wooden boat festival in Portownsend. As long as it doesn't conflict I'm good with fall. The white water season will likely be short this year so I can keep myself busy with that in early June. Recently acquired a KTM 690 enduro so could spend some time this summer scouting the Eastern sections while getting acquainted with the new scooter. Would use the TW for the actual trip. Thanks for all the good info Admiral. Your experience in this area is appreciated.

I suppose we can unofficially start planning for a Fall date and arrangements.
    White Elephant, where are you located in SE Idaho?

We will have our challenges on this route for sure.

Trail near Pokey. Talk about off-camber, yikes! NewCry.gif

...and I thought riding down to Crutcher's Crossing was bad. This trail leads down to Indian Hot Springs. Sweet!

littletommy, Ken, Fred and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links