• 3 Post By Fred
  • 5 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By evan
  • 1 Post By evan
  • 3 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By Fred

Thread: Foresthill ORV Area, California

Foresthill ORV Area, California

Anyone know this area? I rode a bit down the infamous Foresthill ORV Trail 6 last summer in 105 degree heat and chickened out well before the trouble zone. Much easier is this Trail 5 and others easy enough for even for a moonlit ride. I rode in a bit from China Wall while TWing through on a 90 mile shake and bake road loop .
    Speaking of moonlight the next Full Moon is overnight on the 30th and Blood Moon equinox is at dawn the Feb.1st. Weather forecast is 15 degrees warmer and with clearer skies than the desert hot springs I had contemplated.
    I am torn between big sky open solitude stargazing from a campsite adjacent hot springs or quality but civilized riding on old prospector mule trails in the Gold Country with questionable sky view or camp ambiance. Technically some portions "Closed for Season" too.
    I want to scout this area as well as Western States Trail out to Last Chance Mine and anywhere else this multi-state trail system still remains legal to T-Duberry.
    Good option for Nor-Cal Riders a few hours closer to home than Sierra destinations I usually propose. Can get ticks and poison oak instead of snow.

What would you do?
    Last edited by Fred; 01-24-2018 at 07:44 PM.
    Rockit, Rider21 and admiral like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Here is the competition, looking west in direction of equinox:Spencer.jpg
    A similar amount of snow will likely fall tonight, several riding destinations are a cold 10 mile ride in the far mountain range.
    And indeed the hot springs are better with company, preferable female. 58208017.jpg

I'll probably be sitting there all by myself with frozen hair.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

I've been to Foresthill OHV several times. Its been awhile but fun place to ride! Even saw a bear! Have taken quads and tw. Its really not a place your going to get lost because all the trails seem to loop back around. There are some fire roads that can take for miles but not sure if still open. They have a small lake in the middle where you can camp (probably closed during winter) and remember them not allowing quads/dirtbikes in. you had to park them outside or push in. We always staged at parker flat?? Not sure if they allow overnight camping there. I think snow can be an issue and they will close down the park if it rains a lot to save on wear and tear on the trails. It would be a fun spot for a norcal nut job ride. Most of the trails are easy but have heard of a really scary one that I've never seen. Trail 6 fred??? I'll try and call the nearby ranger when I get a chance to get more info on overnight camping there during the winter....
    admiral and Fred like this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Called ranger station. Closed till April 1st.....oh fiddlesticks! (once heard Josh say that oldie but goodie....)
    Rockit likes this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Thanks for checking Evan!
    I wonder just what exactly is "closed"? Campgrounds with fees, Campground Hosts or pressurized water systems certainly and I guess the Foresthill ORV trail system to keep it from getting rutted which makes sense. Videos show most things fairly smooth. I tried to post a copy of the ORV trail system but the file size was too large.

Since there is lots of other riding amongst the ridges and deep canyons in the region I would't be wasting my time to go explore before April 1st...Places like Michigan Bluff down to the river, Western States Trail to Last Chance Mine, Mosquito Ridge to Hell Hole, etc can keep a fellow from getting bored.
    Last edited by Fred; 01-26-2018 at 04:04 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Thanks again Evan. Have to get you to come along for safety sometime on some of this.western states_map.jpg Some is open to motorcycles, some is simply too challenging for me on a TW..endless tight steep switchback single tracks made by Stinky Jack the Prospector and his mule 150 years ago, and I don't mean made by a Barreton SingleTracker. ( I want one!)barrettonsingletracker.jpg

While snowed in now in years past I rode the eastern end's from Robertson's flat, Sunflower Hill, Red Ridge to Lyons Ridge above French Meadow Lake. I hope it is still open to motorcycles as it was well worth repeating...winding ridgeline single track, all intermediate difficulty with no do-or-die stuff I recall. I camped at snowed-in trail head last year in June and saw no "No Motorcycles" placating. However most everything was still buried in snow. snowrouteB.png
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Guess I'll have to go visit Last Chance on my own some time, stay at the local hotel...last chance hotel.jpg
    Maybe do a little used car shopping...lastchance2.jpg
    littletommy and admiral like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Sponosred Links