Rubicon
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Rubicon

Rubicon

Many of you have heard of the "Rubicon". Most agree it is one hell of a ride and it matters not what you are on or in. A small handful of forum members have made the ride. I had the chance but declined as my very short introduction suggested it would fall way short of my idea of fun. Some years after my passing on the above mentioned 'event', one of my co-workers indicated that his Father-in-law had to be shuttled via helicopter from Rubicon trailside to a hospital. Seems the Jeep that my coworker was driving took a very hard sideways bounce in one of the 'sluice-boxes'. Even though they were both buckled in, his father-in-law hit his right side hard against the roll bar. The event they were participating in came to a stand-still as concern was that the older fellow had punctured a lung. The older fellow survived and my co-worker sold his jeep to help offset the cost of their adventure.

Seems with many Rubicon adventures, the worst parts often times go undocumented as most of the focus is on keeping upright instead of taking pictures. Just stumbled across a video that depicted a little more of the challenge. The big bike was certainly out of its element even for its skilled rider. The XT-225 did not look like if faired significantly better, but it was certainly easier to pick up. Not inclined to rain on anyone's parade, but just be aware of what you are getting into. The ride that I passed up certainly provided all participants a lifetime of memories. Here is the video I stumbled across. The fellow on the XT produced the video and his You Tube channel suggests he is a good rider that can not afford to be inattentive or careless.
    <font size="3">
    Last edited by Gerry; 01-25-2018 at 10:32 PM.
    Take care my Friend.........

Will leave that one to the animals,what a mine field.

I dream of riding that trail again but old age and wisdom have advanced to the point I know I best not try it. However, if there was a gathering of the nutjobs camping out at Loon Lake, I would join in on that and perhaps ride the first mile or so of the trail and then do a 180 and head out to safety. There are other places to ride in that area.

Helicopter rescue ambulance insurance is pretty cheap compared to paying for it out of pocket.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

First time through the Rubicon on motorcycles we took a Honda Reflex ( leftover unsold trials bikes Honda slapped lights and horn on in order to sell them in an attempt at creating a Dual Sport machine) , a KDX175 and an IT250.
    The smaller and lighter the better; the Reflex was a piece of cake, the KDX shined and the taller IT suffered. Certainly small, low and lightweight machines were less tiring. This was before they dynamited the big boulders clogging the Little Sluice Box.
    elime and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Juan Brown (the shorter haired rider ) made a very entertaining video. I first discovered Juan from his videos on the Oroville Dam Spillway destruction. I then checked out his YouTube Channel and discovered he's posted many motorcycle rides so I subscribed.

Juan kind of lives over the hill from Fred and close to Donzo and Gerry near Nevada City, CA I think.

Thanks for sharing Gerry.
    elime and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

less than 1mph? sounds like a ride for a tdub... or a mule of the four-legged variety.
    jtomelliott49, elime and admiral like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Definitely on my "do it once" list. Maybe in a few years. But NEVER on a big bike. And definitely with a group of 6-10 riders with tugger straps and recovery gear. Just two people is NOT safe enough, unless they are both expert riders.
    jtomelliott49 and elime like this.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

Did the Rubicon once back in 1976 with my brother-in-law and his in-line 6cyl Jeep. The perfect ride. The guys with the big V8s were always in trouble. We lived in Placerville, at the time, and hiked all of that country. In fact, I liked walking it better than riding. Lots of nudity required swimming holes back in there, too.

Certainly lots of unusual adventures to be had in the region. I used to boat camp and fish frequently at Loon Lake, which is at one end of the Rubicon Trail.
    One high water year Loon Lake was high enough that I could kayak far up into the tunnel that taps into Spider Lake a bit over a half mile away. Not often one can go kayaking underground. It was rather spooky since the water was flowing a bit fast from Spider Lake through tunnel to Loon. A trash rack grating blocked the tunnel's entrance on the Spider Lake side, the light visible at end of tunnel in photo below. Too bad since it would've been a real adventure to go from one lake to another entirely underground.LoonTunnel.jpg
    The tunnel was really too narrow to swing a paddle but I could motor most of the way up the tunnel with a 55lb thrust electric outboard.
    I live for the bizarre, that's why I ride a TW
    Last edited by Fred; 01-27-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Top Gear America did a photo mapping expedition for Google Maps of the Rubicon Trail. Usually they are silly and stupid but when the going got really serious so did they, for the most part anyway. If you have some time to kill............

jtomelliott49, admiral and joeband like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links