St. Joe River
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Joe River

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    I crashed some friends' flyfishing camp for a few days. Great area. I hope to explore it more someday. How can you beat a day like this, in this setting, on a TW?

Starting to see a little color. A little smoke too.

This year's Alaskan halibut catch frying up for lunch.

- Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Thanks for the pictures

Ahh yes, that's the life, beautiful area. Love those old riveted bridges, too. Thanks for taking us along.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Great pic's

Really nice place to ride. I've not ridden in that particular area before, but it's on my list. I've read several threads over on ADVrider forum of rides in the area. Were you on an old railroad bed, now road? Just wondering as the bridge looked like an old RR bridge. I can't remember for sure, but I think there is a route up in that area that goes from Avery to Wallace, ID through at least one awesome former railroad tunnel. Could be more, just don't remember.

Great picture's, thanks for sharing. Makes me want to hop on the TW and go for a spin!!!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I was just there on my TW a few weeks ago, and actually camped right next to that bridge, at least I think it is the bridge. There is a small campground right next to a bridge like that near the upper end of the St. Joe.

I am having some trouble with posting pictures, so will try later when I have more time. Anyway, nice area, although it was super cold in the morning when I left, and the sun takes a while to get into that deep canyon. I had everything on and had to stop about every 5-10 minutes to warm up.

This was my camping spot.

Some pictures of the ride in. I started in Montana near I-90, and came over the top, riding along the ridge that is the border of Idaho and Montana, then down to the St. Joe.

Had to wait a bit for this logging operation to clear, so I had a late breakfast of huckleberries.

Good trip, bike did well, rider was pretty tired by the time he got down to the river, after about 80 miles, and 70 miles of that on FS roads. First overnight on the bike, so I was pleased that it all went well.

That particular bridge is just off of the St Joe River Rd on Beaver Creek Rd (NF-303). There is a little camp area called Beaver Creek right there, so it is probably where you stayed, swimmer. Great area, great pics from you too. I bet that was a good time! I'd love to know more about the route you took. Where did you come from in MT? I know those road can take you to St Regis and Superior. Like I said, I briefly crashed some friends flyfishing camp, and they go every year for a week or so. I'm going to have to start joining them to explore more on the TW. Btw, awesome shot of your TW loaded up with the scenic background.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

I don't know how to do the map thing on here, but I can tell you the FS roads I took. I was on I-90 from Spokane, and took the Taft exit to road 810, then went up to the 391, and followed it along the ridge to Dry Creek saddle. Then I went down the 1219 to the St. Joe River. That was a real long haul, so I quit there and I did stay at Beaver Creek. On the way back, I followed the St. Joe River to road 338, then back on 391 to return. Real neat ride pretty much everywhere along the route. I had intended to take another route past Dry Creek Saddle, as I was told by the Forest Service that the trail was open to motorcycles past there, but I think what they meant was that it was legal to ride on that trail, it just wasn't possible. There are lots of trails on the maps that really don't exist anymore, or are really foot traffic only. So my route changed quite a bit from the plan, but it still was a good trip, and the huckleberries were ripe. I wouldn't mind riding in that area again sometime.

Wow, I just followed your route on the map. What a haul! How was that Bird Cr Rd - 338? We were camping just a mile or two further west on the St Joe Rd. I had thought about going up it.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links