Arizona adventure
Close

I've been in AZ for 5 days now. I ran the Oak Creek Canyon from Flagstaff to Sedona as was suggested in another thread. Athough there was really no place I could find to go off of the pavement, it was a very scenic ride. Today, after staying at Desert View (at the Grand Canyon) last night, we decided to take the road from Williams to Jerome (Perkinsville Road), because the map indicated that it was a "scenic" route. Man was that an understatement! It took us 3 hours to go the 30 miles in the motorhome, with the bike strapped to the back of it. Although we did make it, it was VERY hairy for the last 10 miles or so, and I would NOT suggest making the run in a motorhome to anyone (we had no idea what we were in for). But it would be an excellent ride for a TW. We are staying in an RV park in Cottonwood right now, and here are some pictures of what the bike looked like when we stopped at a gas station in Jerome:

Damn it! I can't seem to figure out how to upload the pics from my camera. Maybe someone could help me out with that? I don't have time to write a thousand words to describe it, but let's just say the bike was covered in a thick layer of dust.

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    I've been in AZ for 5 days now. I ran the Oak Creek Canyon from Flagstaff to Sedona as was suggested in another thread. Athough there was really no place I could find to go off of the pavement, it was a very scenic ride. Today, after staying at Desert View (at the Grand Canyon) last night, we decided to take the road from Williams to Jerome (Perkinsville Road), because the map indicated that it was a "scenic" route. Man was that an understatement! It took us 3 hours to go the 30 miles in the motorhome, with the bike strapped to the back of it. Although we did make it, it was VERY hairy for the last 10 miles or so, and I would NOT suggest making the run in a motorhome to anyone (we had no idea what we were in for). But it would be an excellent ride for a TW. We are staying in an RV park in Cottonwood right now, and here are some pictures of what the bike looked like when we stopped at a gas station in Jerome:

Damn it! I can't seem to figure out how to upload the pics from my camera. Maybe someone could help me out with that? I don't have time to write a thousand words to describe it, but let's just say the bike was covered in a thick layer of dust.

Hi, TWM.

You might need to upload at the free photo sharing web site first.

Then, copy those photo links to here on the post.

What a great place to vacation! My wife and I spent a week being "lost" in Arizona a couple of years ago for our anniversary. We spent a couple of days staying in a cabin just outside of Sedona exploring a lot of dirt roads in the hills surronding Sedona (this was before we had TW's so our off-roading was done in our '99 4Runner). We we're there in mid-February and enjoyed the mid-winter lull and even liked the somewhat bad weather we got (it only seemed to rain and/or snow at night which was a blessing).

If you're in Williams now and are heading west then I would recommend taking a break from I-40 and going to Peach Springs where the Grand Canyon Caverns are located. We found it just driving by, it looked like a totally cheesy tourist trap but we like seeing things which are a bit off the beaten path. It was much better than we expected, the tour is not to be missed, lots of good information. It sounds like you're in an RV (I think they have an RV park there as well). At the time when we we're there (Feb. '07) the Motel was scary. There were only four people staying in the Motel when we we're there and I was pretty sure we'd wake-up the next morning to a missing 4Runner but it was there (thankfully)!

If you go to the Grand Canyon Caverns a neat ride to take would be across the Hulapai (I know I mis-spelled that) Indian Reservation. There's a road which runs from the middle of Peach Springs all the way to what is basically the bottom of the Grand Canyon (on the Indian reservation). You have to buy a permit from the Indian's in order to drive down this road (it was like $20 or something crazy for two people in one SUV) but it was worth it! The road when I was on it was a graded dirt road which was in pretty good shape (they keep it in good shape because some river rafting companies use a beach on this reservation to retrive toursits and rafts from up-river). I think it was a ten mile or so dirt road, the last mile or so had a couple of small water crossings (nothing major but scary when you're traveling alone in a two-wheeled drive SUV you still owe a year's payments on) but I digress. The scenery was amazing from this road, definilty one of the high-points of our trip!

Enjoy your time in Arizona, it's one or my favorite places. I'm hoping to return to the Sedona area in the future, this time with the TW's. Too much to see out there!

--Kevin
    '04 TW - Ricochet skid plate, IMS pegs, Odyssey battery, Seat Concepts seat, wide front tire. Geared low N' Slow Hidden Content

Honda Grom
    KTM 990 Adventure

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you ever go back with the TW's make sure you go to Williams, and take Perkinsville road (south on 4th St, I think) to Jerome on the bikes. just make sure you have enough fuel and water. It's about 30 miles of no-man's-land, and mountain passes as you approach Jerome.

Quote Originally Posted by BusyWeb View Post
    Hi, TWM.

You might need to upload at the free photo sharing web site first.

Then, copy those photo links to here on the post.

Could you provide me with the URL (link) for the free photo sharing web site? I'm back home now, but I would still like to add the picture of the bike for all to see.

Could you provide me with the URL (link) for the free photo sharing web site? I'm back home now, but I would still like to add the picture of the bike for all to see.

Hi, there.

I personally use the Google Picas Photo site which has some storage limitation.

So, I use now only when I needed it.

Here is the link from Google Search links.

Many uses, photobucket, flickr, facebook, or others..

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...79761d021cc8a3

You may choose from the search list.

http://photobucket.com/

Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

The sites linked to would require me to subscribe, which I am not interested in doing. Oh well, I guess I can live without posting pictures. It's a shame though. You should have seen what the bike looked like.

The sites linked to would require me to subscribe, which I am not interested in doing. Oh well, I guess I can live without posting pictures. It's a shame though. You should have seen what the bike looked like.

Here's a Tutorial which will explain how to post pictures using Picasaweb, which is free, but yes, you will have to "subscribe." Don't let that stop you - it's free with no strings attached. If you wanna post pics here, you'll have to use a tool like this. easy, no big whoop, and did I mention, it's FREE..!

I'm with Cox Cable. I get a bit of web space with my service. Your ISP might have the same. Any place you can put a file and point at it with a URL will work.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Sponosred Links