Cape York Trip
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Cape York Trip

Cape York Trip

Hi everyone, this is my first post here so apologies for any mistakes etc.

My friend and I are doing a tip to Cape York (very top of Australia) at the end of the year, and I am dead set on taking my Tdub. He will be taking his KTM 690 enduro, and I'm not bothered by how mach faster he will be than me (I keep telling myself that). We are both finishing our final year of school, and want it to sort of be like an adventure.
    I've built a few bikes in the past, but they've all been cafe racers, scramblers or mud bikes, and I've done a few cars as well, so I'm not completely alien to working on things extensively.
    I bought my TW200 a few months back, and it was absolutely fucked, the frame was cracked, motor not running, wiring was toast and about 3 rear spokes holding the hub to the rim, I paid 360 AUD for it, which isn't bad considering how rare they are here. I have been working on the bike, and am currently piecing it together with an XL185 tank, round headlight and extended swingarm. The bike is visible in my avatar, and is nearly done. In preparation for the trip, I am going to tear the bike down AGAIN once its all together, and gusset/strengthen the frame, and give the motor a bit more power. I plan to get a new cam grind, port and polish the head myself, and bore the piston to 70mm. I've also done all the services on the bike, i.e. clutch, oil, oil filter etc. I've geared the bike for the freeway (60-70mph), will be carrying a large rear sprocket with me, and will service it along the way. Before I go, the bike will get all new bearings, and will be taken apart a third time to make sure it is mechanically pristine, although it doesn't look that way as I have stuck with a patina look. I just want to know if anyone has done the Cape York trip on the TW200, which is 4000km each way from Melbourne, and if so is there anything I should carry extra, also any tips from guys here who have done long trips. Anything to ensure my TW doesn't give out on me will be much appreciated. Also has anyone had experience with the Shinko dual sport tyres? they seem to be the cheapest ones available. Thanks.

P.S. please don't tell me to get another bike, I love my TW, and even if I didn't I don't have the money for another bike

Shinko ? – never heard of them

Try typing site tw200forum.com shinko into the address bar at the top of your browser and see if anything comes up

Welcome to the board ….
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

thanks for the reply, I was thinking about these puppies right here,

Shinko Dual Sport SR428 Pair 180/80-14 & 130/80-18 Tyres (DOT) YAMAHA TW200 OEM

I tried posting a link, but apparently I'm not good enough yet hahah
    jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah - they're cool tires - the Bridgestone equivalent is the TW203/204 combination - (the compound and tread pattern is virtually identical)

Ideal for road/tarmac - and "OK" for light trail work - but watch out on slippery surfaces (wet grass/mud) - depends on your riding skill ........
    jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

awesome, thankyou

Welcome JP! Sounds like you'll be having a great adventure. Prepping the bike should be just as much fun as the trip. Enjoy!
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    If it works good, it's beautiful.

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by ayyy its JP View Post
    thanks for the reply, I was thinking about these puppies right here,

Shinko Dual Sport SR428 Pair 180/80-14 & 130/80-18 Tyres (DOT) YAMAHA TW200 OEM

I tried posting a link, but apparently I'm not good enough yet hahah
    I bought a set of the Shinko tires mentioned above around Christmas. I just mounted the rear tire and it was a real fight but it seated great, it also rides very smooth. I have used the Bridgestone TW203 and TW204 for years so it will be interesting to see how good the Shinko compares. Monkey Grip patch glue is great. When I pulled the old tire I had 2 patches on the tube, they were stuck on there great for years. Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by Ken; 03-04-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

A couple things to know about your TW. They use a bit of oil when running at high speed so check when fueling. When you do an oil change be sure to take out the little bolt on the back of the head and start up the engine till the oil comes out. The engine needs to be bled to make sure the top end is getting oil after a change. A few folks have lost the top end by not doing this. Enjoy you new ride. Looks like you really brought this one back to life. Nice to see another TW back in service. I think it is one of the best things about these bikes is that they do not change over the years after 2001 except for color.
    Fred, jtomelliott49 and admiral like this.

The buddy's KTM will tempt you to push the TW hard over extended miles and likely elevated temperatures. As such building, and testing for reliability should be a priority.
    Sounds like fun but that is a lot of time in the saddle so I would consider improving the seating comfort somehow. We like the somewhat pricey Seat Concepts but a local bike upholsterer in Melbourne might improve the stock foam.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

That's a very miss matched pair of bikes ,you might wish to buy your buddy a bible to read ,he should be able to finish it while waiting for your turtle to show up .
    jtomelliott49 and Fred like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links