Tricks for ticks.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Tricks for ticks.

Tricks for ticks.

So I'm realizing that it's only a few month before the ticks wake from their hibernation and I wondered...maybe my fellow TDubbers have some trick for ticks I haven't thought of.

I noticed here that when the temperature gets higher then >25c/77f for a week or two they're done for the year for the most part. Maybe they'll have a small come back in the fall but not nearly as many. The seem to frequent deer and rabbit populated areas mainly. However....I could spend a day in thick brush way out in the middle of nowhere and come home to find my neighbor picking up more off his unkept lawn. I hope this year our chickens will take a bite out of their local population.

So far I've realized that they jump for your head and any pony tails, scarfs, or unbound hair can catch them if they jump too late. Also they seems to be drawn to browns, blacks, and neutral colors. Other colors may not get their attention or maybe that's just a coincidence. Even if you stay on the more open logging roads they can really sail off the trees at you like paratroopers.

Otherwise I try to cover up. Tuck pant legs into socks. Light colored clothing makes them easier to spot.

Also ...

You may think that the faster riders get more chicks. But in the sticks, they just get ticks. So kick back and let your friends catch them first.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 03-04-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Deet, I spray my legs, arms, neck and head every ride, re-apply when it's really hot.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

I spray my ankles, and any exposed points of entry.

None of us are gonna get out of this life alive, so I try not to worry about it to much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

i wear a hat when cutting our 5 acres of grass. never had a tick. my theory is they don't like beer
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

We don't have no steenking ticks in the San Raphael Swell.
    Allanb, Trail Woman, Ken and 1 others like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Some ladies opt for a proactive response. This also deters inappropriate behavior by men.flamethrower.jpg
    Trail Woman, SanDue, Ken and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks for the response...I think I'd rather take my chances with the ticks then the deet myself.

They typically take a while to dig in so you usually have a few hours to get them before they get in deep. I've woken up in the middle of the night and just had some intuition where the little bugger was and grabbed it in a second and off to the washroom to get rid of it. I get several dozen on me a year and maybe one or two leaves a red bump behind. Always clean any area they start to dig into to avoid infection or you could have a bump for 6 months. It takes 48 hours to transmit lyme disease so I'm more concerned about transmitting them to pets and seniors.

There are about a dozen tick species in North America, some more aggressive than others and also with differing pathogens. Here are some of the more common ticks and diseases they may carry:Tick-and-infections-chart.png
    Is more than one tick considered poly-tics, and thus perhaps the blood sucking origins of the term politics?

Some folks recogmend Permithrin spray for their clothing and DEET for the skin. I try to avoid poisons though. Feeling them crawl looking for a bite site usually alerts me and I can remove prior to getting sucked.
    SanDue, Ken, Trail Woman and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Cool..kinda. lol

We get deer ticks.

I heard the long star tick makes you allergic to red meat but there's cure.

I hate all blood suckers and parasites in general. Minimizing risk of them and other poisonous plants, snakes and insects was part of the my decision for where to live.
    If you really want to get grossed out it is hard to beat what is known in english by bot fly among other regional names. Ask any Members from a tropical climate and they will likely know. Let's just say they "grow in the host's flesh" and leave it at that. Ticks and leeches are sweet kittens by comparison.
    Still curious? Want to get grossed out more, loose sleep tonight? Imagine battling a protesting wiggling grub as you try to extrude it from deep under the skin where it has been burrowing away leaving a trail like a mole. Now imagine a lot more than one. Give me a tick any day.
    Trail Woman, Ken, troll and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links