Nor-Cal Spring Riding Opportunity
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Nor-Cal Spring Riding Opportunity

Nor-Cal Spring Riding Opportunity

OK you NutJobs, time to start thinking about individual or Group Rides? Time is wasting and snow will soon be melting.
    Just an idea but last spring Rider21, Boarder255 and I camped and rode but a fraction the Burlington Ridge ORV area off Highway 20 near Washington. RiderPlanet claims 100 miles of singletrack there and at the adjacent Chalk Ridge which may be an overstatement, USDA says only 50 miles.Tahoe National Forest - Burlington Motorcycle Trail System
    This would be a good place to learn or improve confidence on single track as easy trails are available and they cross smooth fireroads frequently should one get tired of leaning into corners every hundred feet or so.
    Here is a quick video of but one trail we may have ridden for most of it's length. Trail #66 was just a total giggle. Video's elevation is ~ 5,000 feet and is one of the better locations to melt out first each year. Detours down to historic Washington on the Yuba River warms thing up at maybe 3,000 feet.

I'm off to Utah this month. but late April or May may see this idea re-visited if you folks don't go there first.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-06-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    plumbstraight, Mel, Purple and 5 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

When do you plan to do this? Before or after the Father's day ride in Oregon?
    The forest service site says this area is closed. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/taho...a/?recid=55892
    plumbstraight and littletommy like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

I'm in! As long as it is not May 1st thru the 10th. I'm doing a motorcycle ride with a group to Monument Valley, UT - Any thing else I can switch around. Will be great to get out there with the Dub group again!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You Canadians are well trained to follow rules. I follow trails.

This ride idea is just an idea at this time to get the blood flowing. Timing would depend on weather and I suppose official permission for those who care. If I were to go somewhere and it says "Closed" with locked gates I would simply ride in an adjacent area. Lots of options beyond the boundaries of any jurisdiction and this area is but one example. Half of our riding on this trip was on public roads, primitive as they may be. A majority of this part of Sierra's metamorphic belt was deeded into private hands during the Gold Rush 1849 through 1930's leaving but a portion adopted by an ORV park. Balance is normal Public Lands with the attended freedoms unfettered therein.
    SanDue, Mel, Purple and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

So many good riding options abound. Later this summer time permitting (and everything is legal) I would like to return to the Sierra Buttes/ Gold Lake area up Highway 49 past Downieville. While simple easy rides can be done a few hardy explorers could really have a good time on rougher trails. Here is a video from one day where on a 70 mile ride I visited two fire lookouts, 11 or 12 lakes ( I lost count), some highway riding as well as moderate rock gardens.
    Lots of campgrounds, resorts, as well as some primitive camping is available as this is too far for a day ride for most California riders. I have ridden to Sierra Buttes via back roads from my house but that is a half day adventure in itself. The terrain gets very steep in places and the views spectacular as one looks down thousands of feet back to way one just rode up or on to the next destination.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    OK you NutJobs, time to start thinking about individual or Group Rides...
    That video looks like some darn fine CBX fun to me!
    littletommy and Donzo like this.
    2018 CB500XA - Rally Raid: Level 2 Suspension/Wheels, Engine guard / bash plate, Pannier racks, Wide pegs, Rear brake reservoir guard, ABS switch, Radiator screen, kickstand shoe. Barkbuster/Storm. Palmer windshield adjuster w/ accessory bar. Savage steering damper, levers, and rear rack. Givi Trekker Outback 42L Top Case and Wolfman Rocky Mountain Saddlebags. 50W 3" spot/flood pods. Scorpion Serket Taper slip-on.

George, we could build a CBX "wet your panties" ride up there as all of Highway 49 from Grass Valley is a twisty treat. Paved backroads abound as well as reasonable, if not graded, dirt roads. Nasty rock gardens can be avoided this time, lots of intermediate riding can be done.
    littletommy likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

I like the sound of dirt roads, singletrack, and intermediate riding. Especially if there is some camping involved.
    littletommy and SanDue like this.

Hey George, are you back on 2 wheels again?

Yes! Just picked up a new CB500X this past Saturday! Dropped it off today to have the heated grips installed, and my Rally Raid accessories should be here in a week or two! I am so ready for some NutJob camp and rides!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links