2 Brothers, 2200 miles
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 2 Brothers, 2200 miles

First off an introduction, my name is Tim and my brother is Pete. We live near Cleveland, Ohio. Both of us messed with Honda CT-90's for a few years. Making improvements to them and taking them a lot longer from home than we should, until in May 2011, I grenaded a motor while en-route to St. Louis. Later that year, while attending the Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio Sportscar Course, the TW-200 showed up on the radar.

By late November 2011 Pete and I had found a couple used TWs. His was a 2005 and mine was a 2009. Also by this time we had found the forum website and were figuring out what works and what don’t. Spending the winter months making modifications to our new mounts, the common list includes, wide pegs, Shinko tires, racks f/r, voltage meters, Clarke tanks, 1" bar risers, 15T sprocket O-ring chain, 2nd brakelight, GPS, phone mount w/charge outlets, needle shims in carb, windshields, and by far the best money spent, Seat Concepts Kit.

Over the next 10 months, as the parts/mods were going on, we'd take day trips here & there as our schedueles and weather permitted. Having bike-to-bike communication during these trips, talk naturally turned to far-off destinations.

So we decided on New England! 'The Plan'. Follow the GPS via 'bicycle route', as it would keep us off the hi-ways. Average 200 miles a day. Camp when/where we can. Go to the top of Mt. Washington, camp on the Atlantic beach. Avoid big cities. Catch-up with some Army buddies.
    trailscout likes this.
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Starting milage 3895.

Day 1- 48 miles. Headed West to see some local sites from our youth and test out our 'rigs' fully loaded for the first time. Pete's old high-school buddy had invited us to his clambake so we decided to go. Even though it was taking us farther from our 'adventure' it was a good shake-down.

Day 2- 255 miles. East to Elk State Park, Pa. finding some great gravel roads and more interesting terrain

Day 3- 188 miles. Photo-ops at Kinzu Bridge State Park..

Then on to the Finger Lakes region of N.Y. Stopping at the American Legion in Geneva N.Y. for some 'local' knowledge. After a little conversation, we had been given permission to use their pavillion 'outback' if we wouldnt mind waiting till after their meeting wrapped up. So after a steak dinner and few beers, we slept on the picnic tables with a hard roof over our heads.
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Day 4- 183 miles. RAIN! As weather was uncooperative, we opted for an 'avoid freeways' route on the GPS. East to Sangerfield N.Y. before turning North towards the Adirondack Mountains. Somewhere near Woodgate, N.Y. my bike died. After 10 minutes to dry out and a spark plug change, it refired! Finally stopping at Old Forge, N.Y. for a cheap motel with a hot shower and a hot meal.

Day 5- 252 miles. With a deer send-off in the motel parking lot, we headed for Ticonderoga, N.Y. to catch the ferry to Vermont for a roadside lunch. Making our way across Vermont and into New Hampshire we stopped in North Woodstock. After calling around to seek campsites we settled on a small motor inn cabin.

Day 6- 185 miles. After a Cliffbar/coffee breakfast, we were heading for Mt. Washington via the Passaconaway Highway. Arriving at the base just after 10am we were told,'ice near the summit'. After an hour wait the climb was on! Spending about an hour there for photos before descending and making our way to the Maine coast. The Atlantic Ocean greeted us at Wells Beach, M.E. where we had dinner at Billy's Clamshack. After seeing the parking lots they called campsites, we opted for yet another motel in Moody, Maine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Day 7- 183. Doing our best to avoid large cities, we followed the coast to Kittery Maine and re-entered New Hampshire before heading West to Groton, Mass. South to 'touch-a-wheel' in Rhode Island near Bridgeton. Then West thru northern Connecticut with a photo-op at the Barkhamsted Resevior. Stopping again for 'local' knowledge at a ambulance service in New Hartford Ct. we were told to 'setup right there". So we did Day 8- 240 miles. After a Cliffbar/coffee breakfast, we looked to get around NYC as best as we could. Route as follows; Poughkeepsie, Port Jervis, N.Y. 'Touch-a-wheel' in Layton, N.J. Then back to Pennsylvania to catch up with Pete's Army buddy near Philadelphia.

Day 9- 157 miles. Again looking to 'Touch-a-wheel' in more states, our route was Hockessin, D.E., Rising Sun, M.D., Hellam P.A., Bedford P.A., Carlisle P.A., where we caught up with my Army buddy.

Day 10- 183 miles. Making our way across southern Pennsylvania toward our destination for the night, I experienced the most enjoyable day of motorcycling I've ever had. Traveling thru rolling hills, under beautiful skies, no time schedules, and my brother's company. We stopped at Ohiopyle State Park, P.A., to find we had the place to ourselves.

Looks like fun guys. Wish i could get my brother talked into buying a tw.
    2008 TDUB

Looks like fun guys. Wish i could get my brother talked into buying a tw.
    2008 TDUB

Day 11- 193 miles. Camp breakfast of Beef hash with freeze dried eggs & coffee. Packed up and headed due West. Crossing northern West Virginia before returning to Ohio. Still following 'bicycle route' we made our way to a family cabin in Philo, Ohio. After a good meal and conversation with relatives we did some trail riding on the property.

Day 12- 151 miles. Threatening skies forced the raingear to come out once again. Making our way North, we reminisced of the adventure we had just accomplished. Arriving home just after noon.

Totals: 12 states

2219 miles

74 mpg

Hope you enjoyed the story and thanks to those who's knowledge/experience we relied on while gearing up. (Yes our clutch springs were correctly installed)
    Mongol Pete likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links