Glacier NP 9/23/12 with my son
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Glacier National Park Trip 9/23/12-9/27/12 (1,030 miles)

Departed Livingston, MT on RT89 towards White Sulphur Springs.

White Sulphur Springs to Great Falls, MT (RT89)

(Note: The forest on the way to White Sulphur Springs is beautiful)

Great Falls to Browning, MT to St. Mary's RT89.

End of Day One. The only lodging available was St. Mary's lodge I was quoted $202 but got it for $169.

Day 2- My son and I (he is riding a Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 and of course, I have my TW200(2012) head for Logan Pass at the top of "Going to the Sun road" Logan Pass (We were fortunate enough to make it to the top because when we arrive, they had the other side closed for road repair)

The smoke from all the forest fires made it hard to get the good fall pictures that we went for.

We traveled back to St. Mary's and took Rt89 to Babb, Mt and back into the Park heading for "Many Glacier Hotel. (The hotel was closed) The lodge is very picturesque and the Lake is very beautiful.

On the way back from Many Glacier we saw one female grizzly with two cubs, one brown and one blonde. Another 1-2 miles further, we saw a big male grizzly feeding on berry's. We then headed back to East Glacier and took Rt 2 to West Glacier and on to Columbia Falls, MT where we stayed at the Glacier Inn. (It doesn't look all the great but the rooms for two beds were like $80 and it was very clean. The double queen beds were separated by a wall and each bed had its own HD TV.

Day 3-We departed the hotel and headed back toward West Glacier but stopped at Hungry Horse where we had breakfast (great breakfast) at the Elkhorn Inn.

We entered the park at West Glacier and proceeded to Apgar Village where we headed toward Polebridge via the Outside North Fork Rd. Arrived a Polebridge and took the road (dirt) up to Kintla Lake. (Note this road is not a full two vehicle road, more like a lane and a half and if you meet a camper on a blind corner be ready to ride the side of the road and maybe pull over and stop until the camper clears) Kintla Lake and the scenery up to it is very beautiful. Take the time to photograph it all.

After seeing Kintla Lake we headed back to Polebridge where at the Polebridge Merchantile they have the best fresh made pastries that I ever saw or ate. They also had some fresh made like Pita bread sandwiches which I missed but oh well, the pastries were well worth it.

After snaking we departed Polebridge and headed down the "Inside North Fork Road" all the way to Apgar. (Note: this so called dirt road has many sudden hills and turns and it was just covered with road gravel that had like one inch stones on it which made things very interesting. I would say this is a one vehicle road.)

After arriving at Apgar we headed up the "Going to the Sun" road again from the West side and only made it as far as the Avalanche Camping Area. (Note: they have a great Giant Cedar trail at this point which was very interesting to see) Also, I saw my first White Birch Tree since leaving the East Coast many years ago.

After the Sun Road we headed back to Columbia Falls for another night at the Glacier Inn.

We had dinner that evening at a place called the "Back Room" where they served Broasted Chicken and two types of Ribs. Country ribs (pork) and bone in beef ribs. I got the one half broasted chicken and Country ribs which came with salad, baked potato and a scone. Cost was about $12.

Day 4 - We got up early headed back to Hungry Horse and the Elkhorn Inn for breakfast.

After eating breakfast we headed for Columbia Fall and then on to Kalispell on Rt 2.

Took Rt2 to Rt35 to Rt83 and on to Swan Lake and Seeley Lake, MT.

Then we took Rt 83 to Rt 14 to Rt 12 and into Helena, MT. From Helena we took Rt287 to Rt 12 to Townsend, MT and then Rt 89 back to Livingston, MT and home.

My reserve gas kicked in at 80-83 miles traveling at 60-65mph. I know this is too fast for the TW but I was on a time schedule and I did what needed to be done and hoped for the best. I don't see or notice any ill effects from traveling above 65. Keep a close eye on the oil. Over the whole trip I added about one half quart of 20-50 diesel oil which is all I could find that would work.

The TW rode great and was more comfortable than I expected.

I hope this helps someone interested in taking a trip to Glacier NP.

Moose

I have added a link to my Photobucket. I tried to add the images here but had to many to post.

http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z472/dgrey84/Glacier%20NP%20Dad%20and%20Son/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

I changed to Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil (10-40) I will never use anything else. What a difference in running and shifting.

the picture"Going to the Sun Road" is awesome! Also, I'm glad to see you didn't get any super close-ups of the grizzlies, otherwise you might not have made it back to tell the tale

Looks like an awesome trip. congrats.

It is nice to see a Dad & Son have a nice trip!!! What a nice place to ride!!! Nice post!
    Dave A. Smith

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Lot's of great pics.

I really like this one.

A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

What a great adventure with your son! The pictures are beautiful, and the narrative is great! I think it's cool to see you on your TW, your son on his Super Tenere, both having a great time. The old joke goes that if you have an encounter with a bear you don't have to outrun the bear, only your buddy I hate to say it, but if the two of you ran into a bear you would have a hard time outrunning your son on his Super Tenere! Just kidding Sounds like you did alright, though if you were cruising at 60 to 65. I enjoyed reading of your adventure and admiring your pictures. Thanks so much for sharing with us! By the way, I spent a little time at Livingston years ago when I worked in aviation. There was a cool old PBY at the airport then, and I got my first flight time in a Super Cub there.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Great report and a beautiful part of the world.

DA Bears! What a great ride! If you asked me to pick my favorite photo, of the 77, I could narrow it down to about 77. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Moose,

Looks like a wonderful trip. What a great father and son thing to do.

Those are a couple of good looking bikes!

Are you running stock-sized sprockets?

Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Old White Truck View Post
    Moose,

Looks like a wonderful trip. What a great father and son thing to do.

Those are a couple of good looking bikes!

Are you running stock-sized sprockets?

Thank you for sharing your trip with us.
    Thank you for the feedback and everything is stock.

Moose

Great report Dad. Now I need to take you down the divide on the T-dub. Here is Moose in action, click for bigger image...

Griz for good measure..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links