First Off-Road Adventure in 30 years!
Close

Well... After having my TW200 for a few weeks, I'm headed for my first off-road adventure in about 30 years. To put it in perspective my last off-road bike was a Bultaco 360 Pursang and it was only a few years old at the time.

I'm not sure right now if we are riding or trailering to the trail head. We are getting on the Skyway Motorway [Forest Road 600-1 & 600-2] in the Talladega national Forest near Sylacauga, Alabama at Hwy 148 and riding all the way to Mt. Cheaha [The highest point in Alabama for lunch and to refuel and then tracing our route back to Hwy 148. It should be a good half a day in the dirt not including lunch and chilling out enjoying the view.

I 'm going to take it slow and hope some of my long forgotten off-road skills start coming back. I can't think of a better bike to get back into dirt riding than the TW200. I've been taking it for around town jaunts and commuting instead fo the Bonneville, so I'm pretty comfortable with the bike.

I'm pretty stoked... Just thought I would share. I'll post pictures tomorrow afternoon if i survive.

Fun, Fun, Fun! Just like riding a bike, it will all come back to you!!! The Tdub is the perfect bike for some low speed offroad adventure riding!!! Hope you have a blast!

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

Think there is more than a few of us that are "just getting back" to alot of things. Maybe it is just me............ Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

should be fun. looking forward to ride report and pics....
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Well... I finally am getting around to reporting back.

My buddy Stevo and I left my house at about 8:00 and decided to ride the bikes to the trail head which is about 60 miles on the backroads through some very nice twisties. Stevo has a very nice KTM 400 Enduro, but the TW somehow managed to keep up in the tight turns. Even with the knobbies the TW handles amazingly in the turns. Accellerating is another matter. Let's just say it is a momentum machine.

We got to the trailhead at about 10:00am and met the other guys who trailered. Ken on a KLR 650, Mike on a XR 650L and a friend from work Rex on a DR200.

We headed off up the trails and I about busted my butt on the first rocky up hill. These were all forest service roads, but the hills were covered with rocks about the size of grapefruits and larger with plenty of ruts too. The TW could have used a larger diameter front tire.

Once I got used to letting my body relax everything got better and my pace picked up. Several of the guys were trucking along at a fairly quick pace, and I didn't get many pictures, but it was great fun. We all stopped at the top of Mt. Cheaha for lunch after about 40 miles in the dirt and Stevo and I decided to head on back to my house. We could have rode the trail back, but since I had not been in the dirt in such a long time and Stevo was a little rusty too we decided that was plenty for the first time out.

Here's a pick of all of us ready to head out...

Here are a couple of picks from a great campsite right on the brow of the mountain. You can camp anywhere you want in the forest and most of the entire trail runs right on the mountain ridge.

View from the great campsite we found...

The fast guys stopping to let the slow guys catch up...

One of the more sedate areas of the trail. Talladega is just a beautiful forest.

All in all I think we did about 175 miles total, with about 40 miles in the dirt. The TW did great, I wish it had about 10 more horsepower. It will run about 70-75 miles an hour top end, but only about 55-60 up hills. It is fine on the trails and has plenty of power for my off-road skills. I have given her a name. She is now "Little Donkey" or "Burrito" in Spanish.

For what I have invested in her I couldn't ask for more. If for some reason if I fell on hard times and I had to liquidate most of my assets and could only keep one bike, it would probably be the TW. I was very pleased with how it handled the technical stuff, the more single track type stuff and the gravel.

That is one of my favorite rides. I would love to get a bunch of us from AL and GA together for a ride through the whole Talladega NF.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Beautiful views! I like the name you chose for your TW. I remember a time when it was all about speed. Nowadays I just enjoy putting along enjoying the scenery. The TW is the perfect bike for most of what I want to do. Thanks for sharing your ride with us!
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Quote Originally Posted by n2o2diver View Post
    That is one of my favorite rides. I would love to get a bunch of us from AL and GA together for a ride through the whole Talladega NF.

Yeah... No kidding. Maybe an overnight campout? It would be a hoot.

Thanks for the pictures.We have been through there a few times.Looks like yall had a great time.

As a result of my first and only trip to Alabama, which I don't have the fondest memories for me, (Army Basic Training at the old Ft. McClellan), I had no plans to every return. After viewing your photo's, I should definitely reconsider. Looks really pretty down yonder! I shouldn't hold a state accountable for the actions I took way back when!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sponosred Links