Spring Moab 2019 - The Empire Strikes Back!!
Close

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree2271Likes

Thread: Spring Moab 2019 - The Empire Strikes Back!!

Spring Moab 2019 - The Empire Strikes Back!! 27 April - 4 May 2019

This is over a year from now but since the topic has come up in other threads I thought I would mention the tentative time period for the Spring 2019 Moab TW Gathering. (Tentatively for a week 27 April - 4 May 2019).

Because of a guest rider from the UK riding Moab with us next year, I'm thinking of the color Purple, I'm gonna set the dates for next years Spring Moab for about 27 April - 4 May 2019. Not concrete date but pretty close. Of course this will be an open invite for the group as has been in the past. I'm starting this thread just to announce next years Moab tentative dates but won't add much beyond that as it's way too early to discuss details.

Note: Usually there are some who arrive a little early which helps stake our free BLM campsite claim and a few who stay later.

Committed:
    Admiral - North Camp Willow Springs
    Mrs. Admiral - North Camp Willow Springs
    Purple -
    Archview
    Fred - North Camp Willow Springs
    TW Shell
    Bananachunks
    Bodi -
    HI Express or maybe North Camp
    ejfranz - North Camp Willow Springs
    Appleguy - North Camp Willow Springs
    Appleguy Wife - Same as Appleguy
    nrspense
    Allanb - North Camp Willow Springs
    Mountain Yawp -
    Townie (and 1 night at North Camp)
    TrialRun -
    Archview
    Til Death Dual Us Sport

knobby - In a Van not down by the river
    Leisure Time Larry - North Camp Willow Springs
    Smoke Rudder - North Camp Willow Springs
    One other guy with LTL - North Camp Willow Springs
    BillPacific-WifePacific & Friends
    SanDue's - Archview
    Plumbstraight - North Camp Willow Springs
    Placerlode - North Camp Willow Springs
    Timbboat
    White elephant - North Camp Willow Springs
    Usernametaken
    Donzo - North Camp Willow Springs
    White Mule and Foxy Lady - North Camp Willow Springs 4-24 to 5-1
    Commandog - North Camp Willow Springs
    K-Dub - North Camp Willow Springs

I know a couple who always show up but don't mention it in the forum so count at least 2 "in's" whose names won't show up here but they will in Moab.

Strongly Interested:

Bad Luck

Reference map of North Camp and Archview CG.

Corrected copy. It's 18.7, not 30.7 miles from the I-70 exit to Willow Springs Rd.

Last edited by admiral; 03-29-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: To set dates
    Purple, Fred, Tweaker and 15 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sounds good to me. Having it a month later will warm things up a bit. I expect it to be a bit busier though. It is a huge area so I am sure we can find an area to hang out.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post

Way too early!
    I forecast that this will be the longest thread yet on the forum. :P

I'm glad this thread is getting some traction...so to speak. Moab, and Utah in general offers some of the best riding anywhere. It looks like it will be another good attendance year, so those of you on the fence DO IT!

Since there are some newer folks along those considering the trip, I want to include some helpful links from the past...

My 2017 Moab and beyond thread with photos and videos...
    https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tra...ab-thread.html

Admiral's 2017 Moab thread with photos and videos...
    https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tra...als-views.html

I'm going to paste a post from a previous thread that asked about the best Moab set up which is relevant to the above recommendations:

Moab is coming! When your loved ones ask you what you want for the holidays this year, be prepared with this wish list of a few items followed by a link to a recommended product or a place to get it.

Moab bike set up. I'm going to put out my personal recommendations as if somebody is going to listen and set up their bike for doing that week over again.
    Gearing: I know that there were a lot of different gearing set ups out there, stock 14-50 of course, 14-55, 13-55, 15-50, 14-47, 14-72! I would personally recommend the 14-55 if going on trails. Don't worry about it if you will stick to the asphalt and easy gravel/dirt roads. The extra torque helps with the rock steps and the inclines and you can still run 55 mph on the highway if you don't mind winding her up a little bit. You can definitely get by with stock gearing, but I just wouldn't recommend going the other way unless you are a really good, confident rider that is used to that gearing in similar terrain. Louisiana Danny showed up with a dual sprocket set up with an O-ring chain on the 47 for day one. Day two he promptly had a crappy chain around the 50, with plans leaving Moab to update to a 50 & 55 tooth setup.
    Jetting: North Camp was at about 4500 ft in elevation and I know that I got above 6500 a few times and over 7000 at least once. I live near Seattle, and I am normally jetted for sea-level. In my 2004, I rejetted to a 126 main, one 2mm washer (0.022") under the needle, and 1.75 turns out on the pilot screw for Moab. I don't know if it was perfect, but I never felt the need to touch it, and I noticed other bikes were running less than perfect at those elevations.
    Tires and Pressures: I like the stock rear tire. I really like the trials type tire for the front. I always recommend upgrading the front. Of course you could get by, but I consider it an "upgrade" for a reason. I know there are a lot of opinions on tires and pressures. I think that I was running 12 psi front/ 10 psi rear in Moab. With the sand and the rock, I think you'd be in crazy town running stock or higher pressures on the trails. For the short highway runs, the lower pressures didn't seem to be a problem. There were a few pumps around if one wanted to change it up.
    Fuel: I was one of the crazies who carried a rotopax with them the whole time. It wasn't necessary, but I arrived not knowing where we were going, and many had larger tanks installed. In fact, I was able to do the White Rim road around Canyonlands NP on the stock tank..138 miles. Being in the middle of nowhere though, I felt better having a gallon of fuel and a gallon of water in a rotopax with me.
    Gear: (Because I care) I was a bit disappointed to see riders without much safety gear. Now, I'm a live and let live kind of guy. I don't like being told what to do (still single), so I don't like to yell "Lori, WEAR A HELMET FOR CRIPES SAKE!" I'm really not even an ATGATT person, but these rides...these jeep trails that we were on could really mess you up if you fell wrong. All of the TW riders did wear a helmet, thank you, and I would recommend a dual sport type full face helmet for Moab. They help block the sun, give good airflow, have a shield you can pull down when on the highway or in a dusty section, and they'll provide you full face protection keeping you pretty after a fall. Boots...there have been many boot threads, many seem to like the Forma, Sidi, or Fly dual-sport or Atv type boots. Armor...I noticed some riders wearing no upper body protection. I wear, and highly recommend, a ballistic style jersey. You zip yourself into it, so it fits like a glove, and you hardly know that you're wearing it. Look at the pictures in the link. The articulating protection for the spine and elbow areas are fantastic. In this model that I have, there is a little gap near the top that I put my 50 oz camelback type hydration bladder in. Yeah, I realize it's expensive, but I know of one rider that went over onto his back in Moab. I know that I have been thrown off of my bike a time or two. I also know a trip to the ER or a spinal injury is going to cost WAY more. I wear a mx style jersey overtop to take most of the dust and dirt. Knee pads and shin guards are also highly recommended. Most people did wear gloves, but I'm going to also advise upgrading to a glove better suited for a fall. Gloves with palm sliders. If you are going down on the slick rock, you put your hand(s) out to break your fall, on the rock, which is HARD. Prevent broken wrist, hand, forearm bones by upgrading to a glove with palm and knuckle protection. Here is a suggestion of a pair that I have that are reasonable in price but offer better protection:
    Alpinestars Masai Gloves - RevZilla
    . A "palm slider gloves" search on a site like Revzilla will get you a selection of adequate pairs.
    Skid plate: After Moab, I will be upgrading my skid plate. You may want to add it to your list now.
    Kick start kit: Many found a kicker helpful.
    Hand guards: I have never seen so many broken levers as I did in Moab.
    Seat: Many have extra pads, etc., but I'd recommend upgrading to the Seat Concepts foam and cover. I think the doc is working on a deal, and I recommend looking into it.
    Okay, that's my assessment like it or not. Thanks for reading, Leisure Time Larry
    Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 08-06-2018 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Adding much info and links
    Fred, Purple, littletommy and 14 others like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    Sounds good to me. Having it a month later will warm things up a bit. I expect it to be a bit busier though. It is a huge area so I am sure we can find an area to hang out.
    It could be busier but it's after Jeep Week and the normal school spring breaks which takes out a large amount of the crowds. Last year I was in Moab the 2nd week of May, far fewer people than our March gatherings. The exception is weekend which is why the arrival and departure time will be during the week. We set ourselves up to miss a good camp spot if we wait too close to weekend. After this years SRS cold, I want it a bit warmer.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Yes, warmth. Still snowing here in Wisconsin. Moab 2019 or bust.

Alright people - time to set the actual date - or I'm gonna be out of options soon

I'm looking at the cabins in the Archview site - and they 'aint gonna be up for grabs much longer. They typically sell out a year in advance, and we're about on the year mark now - so - time to speak up ....
    PlacerLode likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I am flexible just as long as it is not during Jeep Week or Spring Vacation.
    PlacerLode likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4 left

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

OK – I’ve made a preliminary booking from Saturday the 20th April – to Sunday the 5th of May – I can tweak the dates as required “within” that period - (it was getting too close to faff about) ….
    littletommy and PlacerLode like this.

- Hidden Content

Now that the time frame is set everyone’s planning can start.
    Purple likes this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links