Admirals Take on The TWhundering Herd Descends on the San Rafael Swell
Close

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree581Likes

Thread: Admirals Take on The TWhundering Herd Descends on the San Rafael Swell

Admirals Take on The TWhundering Herd Descends on the San Rafael Swell

Day One Half 1/2

After years of back and forth discussion and swapping information, the time had come for the Herd to finally lay tracks. And so we came from around the globe and descended on the San Rafael Swell

Plumbstraight was the first to arrive and stake out our campsite for the next week or so. The temperatures weren't ideal and when I saw this family I thought I was lost.

Directions to camp weren't the clearest but we did the best we could. This is what camp looked like when we arrived. Ok, maybe it wasn't that bad but it was cold and windy all week.

Those who had arrived before us were gone riding so we setup our camp, unloaded and went for a ride.

They always tell us to head west, so west we went and stopped at George's Draw Well.

They had some wild coyote corrals at the well

This was on our list of possible campsites and would have been ok for a smaller group. Plus the ground was soft here

Has potential though a trail runs through here and traffic could be heavy during the day

We then headed over to Swasey's Cabin for a quick peek in the door

As is almost everywhere, it was purty

The cabin was guarded by this great big prairie dog but we weren't skaret

I don't think anyone lives here anymore by the looks of it. Just guessing though.

The cabin has an open design floor plan if that is a factor for your future cabin

Also, it's off grid so watching TV could be a struggle for the city slickers

Breathtaking views though

Just around the corner was the "Ice Box" for the cabin. No really, that's what it was called

I guess this was set up to catch the melting ice

I suppose this was the kitchen shelf if the other place was the ice box

The Ice Box and kitchen shelf has a nice fenced off parking area for your convienience

We then headed towards Eagle Canyon then south through part of Eagle Canyon and on some trails around Swasey's Cabin before heading back to camp.

Having fun so far. End of Day 1/2
    TW-Brian, Purple, ejfranz and 15 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

The Recap TW San Rafael Swell Sights, Sounds & Smells March 2018

This is the prelude video for our TW200 group ride in the San Rafael Swell. These are a few scenes of the lighter side of the trip...they turned out to be the lighter side anyway. The main riding views will be coming shortly so stay tuned.

Enjoy

Purple, ejfranz, Mel and 18 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Very cool.
    How cold was your coldest day. You guys look pretty bundled-up.
    Mel, admiral, littletommy and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    Very cool.
    How cold was your coldest day. You guys look pretty bundled-up.
    I don't remember each day but one day was around 40. A few were in the 50's and the last day was near 70 but it did depend on elevation. You could ride all day at the elevation of our camp and be 50 but if you dropped down to Temple Mtn. or Hidden Splender it could be in the 60's.

One morning someone said it was 18 and I know several hovered just above 20.

The wind was the killer though. While most can sit around a campfire when it's 30 degree's, the wind would make it almost unbearable.

On the day 4 of us rode the Devil's Racetrack, a more technical trail, once out of the washes, we ended up taking off our coats and still sweated. Cooled back down and jackets back on as we headed back to camp on the fast roads again.

Great posts as usual Admiral. Thanks for sharing the beauty and experience with us.
    littletommy, Ken, admiral and 2 others like this.

Admiral and Mrs. Admiral make for the cutest couple Plus they are always entertaining, even when off the bikes sneaking a quick hug.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    littletommy, Ken, admiral and 9 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

One of my favorite forum couples for sure!!
    Ken, admiral, Mrs. Admiral and 3 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

My favorite song. Booker T and the MGs - Green Onions. From the race scene in American Graffiti. Gives me goosebumps when I hear it.
    admiral likes this.

Great vid Admiral!
    How cold? We usually waited till 10:30, 11:00, when it had warmed up to 50-55. I had assumed anything under 55 would be too cold. But with riding gear on it was more than fine. And once off the main road, (going under 40 mph), and especially if any thing a bit technical, everybody was taking off a layer or two. Like Admiral said, drop in elevation and it warmed up. The wind was a bear. Though the tw got me over to the lee side of a butte on a few afternoons for a hike.

This is the first big group ride of the San Rafael Swell TW gathering. Today we all started from camp and rode Reds Canyon to the Lucky Strike Mine. We then continued on Reds Canyon towards Tomsich Butte. Unbeknownst to most of us, we had unintentionally left a rider behind at a canyon we (I) were gonna ride but missed the entrance. Oops. Stay tuned for Chapter Two.

The video book chapter

Visual map of the first part of the ride from camp, Reds Canyon, Lucky Strike Mine to Tomsich Butte

The point in the distance is what I'll call the side view of Family Butte as we start to drop into Reds Canyon.

How can anybody get lost in landscape like this?

Pit stop before final descent. Plumbstraight is the rider on the right with the face-mask up.

In Reds Canyon Wash. Much prettier than I was anticipating. The wash was pretty darn firm but a few still tiptoed through the wash

I hope you're "mining" our business

My first sight upon entering the Lucky Strike Mine area is this abandoned Rolls Royce in a dry creek bed just below the main mine building structures. Well, I think it's a RR, I could be wrong. Looks like the cowboys didn't want this one to escape by the amount of bullet holes in her.

I think this structure was bordello er sump'in. Hey, I can make up my own story right?

Guess it was the Mess Hall.

On the left side hill you can see some of the mine tailings (white ish stuff)

Here's the rough rider parking area. (L-R) White Elephant, Fred, Mrs. Admiral

To the left the trail took you up another branch canyon

This is "lost rider canyon" as Fred mentioned in one of his posts. When we continued on the main Reds Canyon road toward Tomsich Butte, we didn't know he was lost yet so I'll hold off on telling the lost story for a bit.

Sights along the road toward Tomsich Butte.

Tomsich Butte is on my left but in the distance you can see Hondu Arch. I didn't even see it until Mrs. Admiral and I came back this way later in the day to see if we could find the lost rider in a van down by the river.

Here's a little closer photo of Hondu Arch I took we Mrs. Admiral and I returned later.

Upcoming, our ride continues from Tomsich Butte to Hidden Splendor Mine and Airstrip. It's along here all the facts come together and we discover we're missing a rider, so stay tuned.
    Last edited by admiral; 04-13-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links