• 2 Post By mountain yawp
  • 9 Post By admiral
  • 4 Post By Swingarm
  • 2 Post By admiral
  • 5 Post By 12TW
  • 1 Post By Swingarm

Thread: My adventures in The Black Hills

My adventures in The Black Hills

Just days after our recent blizzard, the snow finally melted and I was able to take the TW out for its inaugural ride.

Iím about a 15-20 minute ride from my house to the most popular trails in all the hills which center around the town of Nemo.

Thereís a sweet flag on a cliff that overlooks the town

If you ever find yourself in the Black Hills, my home trail is 8144. Look me up!

I plan on posting more pictures here as I rack up the miles and find new areas to explore!

-Anthony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012 TW200

2016 XSR900

2016 YXZ100R

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'd love to ride out that way one day.
    12TW and Allanb like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

Cool pics. Hope you enjoy the TW. Looks like a great place to own one.
    Allanb and 12TW like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 12TW View Post
    Just days after our recent blizzard, the snow finally melted and I was able to take the TW out for its inaugural ride.

Iím about a 15-20 minute ride from my house to the most popular trails in all the hills which center around the town of Nemo.

Thereís a sweet flag on a cliff that overlooks the town

If you ever find yourself in the Black Hills, my home trail is 8144. Look me up!

I plan on posting more pictures here as I rack up the miles and find new areas to explore!

-Anthony

You have an awesome area so close to you to ride. Huge bonus you can ride from garage door to trail. We have plans to ride either here again this summer, meeting my sister and her husband, or the Big Horns near Buffalo/Sheridan. (By the way, if you have trail riding info in the Big Horns pass it my way). If we meet them and ride in the Nemo area again I'll have to shout out to you and see if you can be our tour guide. Please? ...and show us all the cool area's like where the flag is.

Summer 2016 we did not ride on the east side of Nemo and concentrated all our riding on the west side when we were there.

We had plans for the east side but it rained our last night and into the next day so we packed up and then rode Badlands pavement. Nice quick ride but pavement.

This is where we did most of our riding and loved 8400 but it was way way to short. We also rode a portion of the Centennial Trail east of the Sugar Shack back to Nemo.

We ran into some SxS groups who thought we were crazy riding TW's on the Centennial Trail. Guess they didn't know what we're use to riding.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I see Nemo on the map but not 8144. We stayed at Legion Lk campground a couple years ago but didn't have our bikes with us. The Black hills are a very beautiful area and I hope to make it up there again. Is there any boondocking up your way with good access for 65 feet of truck, RV and toys?

Admiral
    I've also looked at the Bighorn/Sheridan area. So many places and so little time and I'm retired!!
    ejfranz, Allanb, admiral and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Swingarm View Post
    I see Nemo on the map but not 8144. We stayed at Legion Lk campground a couple years ago but didn't have our bikes with us. The Black hills are a very beautiful area and I hope to make it up there again. Is there any boondocking up your way with good access for 65 feet of truck, RV and toys?

Admiral
    I've also looked at the Bighorn/Sheridan area. So many places and so little time and I'm retired!!
    8144 is just east of Nemo. The trail color is red and is shown on the first map I posted.
    PlacerLode and Allanb like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

My adventures in The Black Hills

Admiral,

Iíd be delighted to show you guys some of the hidden gems if you came out this way. All of the trails you speak of are close to me.

And the centennial can get gnarly on some portions. I learned that the first time I took my SxS out. Havenít tried it on the TW yet...challenge accepted!

The biggest resource Iíve used to find cool places to visit is a blackhillsdestinations.com
    Itís not the easiest site to navigate, but it has all sorts of info on obscure areas you canít find anywhere else

Swingarm,

I get on the trails at the Piedmont trailhead that admiral pointed out just a few mins ago.

As far as boondocking, Iíve seen very large setups off Rochford rd off 385 (right near the sugar shack) that would put you in the heart of the popular riding areas and also off 85 near the Wyoming/SD border. If you get the trail maps for the hills, they mark all the areas youíre allowed to do what they call dispersed camping.

The coolest actual campground Iíve stumbled upon is Mystic Hills Getaway. Great location.

admiral, Tweaker, Allanb and 2 others like this.
    2012 TW200

2016 XSR900

2016 YXZ100R

OK, I'm on my laptop now so the map is clickable and I see it. Freecampsites.net shows that there is a dispersed spot north of Nemo on 678 with good access. My issue is that I cant turn this train around easily. We love the area so I'm going to try and make it up that way in Sept but we never know where we will end up. The pics remind me of the look out tower area down near the wildlife loop. When you are up high looking out it does look like the black hills.
    admiral likes this.

OK, I'm on my laptop now so the map is clickable and I see it. Freecampsites.net shows that there is a dispersed spot north of Nemo on 678 with good access. My issue is that I cant turn this train around easily. We love the area so I'm going to try and make it up that way in Sept but we never know where we will end up. The pics remind me of the look out tower area down near the wildlife loop. When you are up high looking out it does look like the black hills.
    I see exactly what youíre talking about. Iím always out that way when I ride. Iíll check that route out and see what it looks like.

2012 TW200

2016 XSR900

2016 YXZ100R

We free camped just off 678.1 in a dispersed are which is where I think you are talking about 2 summers ago. We turned off of the highway at Nemo and headed west and went past the campground/store/restaurant. Shortly past that, we took a right on 678 which is a dirt/gravel road. You pass a couple private residents but you are ok. I can't remember mileage but our camp spot was probably only a mile up the road if that. All these turns off the highway are much closer together than what they look like on the map. Then, you will start to see some open areas to the left in the general area of the big green triangle on my first map. I think we crossed the junction of the Centennial Trail and at a fork veered left into an open area behind some tree cutting leftover piles. Staying on the road past this point the road starts to get rougher. There were a couple logging landings or open spots past our camp area but it would be a little tougher with a big rig setup.

It will be great if 12TW can scout this for you as our ride was 2 summers ago (2016) and things could have changed. There are some campgrounds nearby as well but they were all full so I'm glad we are cheap and find the free spots.

Edit for visuals:

This is the route we took from Nemo to Camp. I did the path on Google Earth at its 1.3 miles from the highway turn-off to where we were camped so the distance isn't far.

You can see where we camped next to a slash pile of logs. Quiet except for the occasional machine going up and back. I think 678 must be gated or a dead end. We only went beyond our camp to ride a trail so didn't go very far.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by admiral; 04-21-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Sponosred Links