Admiral & Son Take TWBee & Katoom Out for a Day Ride
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Admiral & Son Take TWBee & Katoom Out for a Day Ride

Admiral & Son Take TWBee & Katoom Out for a Day Ride

Preview of our ride this past weekend. Practicing for a Fred's Easy Ride. I have lots of black & blue all over.

A position I don't recommend...especially in water. ...and yes, this picture is shown from the viewers (me) perspective. Eckart, the water was higher than when we rode Sinker.

Still working on San Rafael Swell but thought I'd take a break from SRS video editing and throw out there a quick vid from yesterday.
    jtstdub, Donzo, scotti158 and 11 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Outstanding – particularly like the “immersion testing” – lol

(hope you’re ok after that lot)
    admiral, Dryden-Tdub, Ken and 1 others like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

It's great that you and your son can make time for this! That's what's important! (Well getting to watch the fun has it's merits too)...
    admiral, Ken, Allanb and 1 others like this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Outstanding – particularly like the “immersion testing” – lol

(hope you’re ok after that lot)
    I was hoping for a little smoother ride than it turned out. I think I broke my right arm. Feels like it anyway as I fell fairly hard on it...twice. 2-3 nasty bruises. Worst of all, I got sand in my butt.
    Mel, Dryden-Tdub, Ken and 3 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

That rocky washed out trail looked like a killer.. ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I was hoping for a little smoother ride than it turned out. I think I broke my right arm. Feels like it anyway as I fell fairly hard on it...twice. 2-3 nasty bruises. Worst of all, I got sand in my butt.
    Ken and Allanb like this.
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    It's great that you and your son can make time for this! That's what's important! (Well getting to watch the fun has it's merits too)...
    Of all my son's, Stig and I have the most adventurous adventures when riding motorcycles. There was that one unintentional overnight ride a few years back and then yesterday. I was actually pretty pissed at myself after crashing twice and when I went on a temper tantrum he just started laughing. That's were the comment from me about it being pretty funny. He put water on the flames so to speak and not that I need more water. He crashed a couple times too but I only caught the results of the last one on camera.

His girlfriend was at a company retreat and Mrs. Admiral was up at the University of Idaho for mom's weekend so we were able to fit this ride in. He reassured his girlfriend we'd be alright since I carry a SPOT locator beacon now. Some things we learn from our mistakes and some we repeat.

I would have thought by now that you would have learned to “clench your cheeks” - (sorry dude, laughing too much to type accurately)

So I guess this leaves the front options open — lol

(Lori is going to kill me for this) ……

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I carry a spot too.. the pines are pretty deep. Nothing compared to where you ride though. I'm teaching my son now. He hasn't quite taken the bait but I keep using better lure
    admiral, Dryden-Tdub, Ken and 2 others like this.
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    I would have thought by now that you would have learned to “clench your cheeks” - (sorry dude, laughing too much to type accurately)

So I guess this leaves the front options open — lol

(Lori is going to kill me for this) ……
    Might want to figure something different for the rear rack. The rack is attached to the side-box brackets. My foot/leg/boot got caught under the bracket on both crashes. I was under the bracket during the "dry-land" crash for a long time before freeing my leg, hence the buzzard comment to my son. Leg not caught as long when I was drowning in the creek. I'll think of something. The side-box brackets are great if riding the TW on a touring ride like the Rhodetrips do. Off-road Moab type stuff not so much.

Jury is still out on the front tire. I'm not sure if my small tool-bag and 1 gallon extra fuel on the back weighed that much but the front end was very light feeling. Can't really blame a front tire on that. While the suspension had a plush feel, it was way to bouncy for me...especially in/on the rocks. I was being thrown about quite a bit. Having said that, we were riding a little harder and if a person is just kind of putting about it wouldn't be a problem. The front did slide a bit on sand over hard ground underneath but if ridden hard enough like we were I can make just about any tire do that. Still, I was cautious with the 244.

Jetting. Not sure but curious it is. Sometimes hard to start and usually backfired on decel. Had to alternate between electric start and kick starting...even when TWBee wasn't wet. I thought a backfire on decel meant a lean condition but we had actually gain elevation. Have time to tune if needed.

The one great big plus is acceleration, even when it stumbled a bit. This TW has great acceleration. I didn't check the gearing but the top speed is the same as our other TW's and XT. Getting to the top speed is much quicker.

Speaking of gearing, I think it's stock but didn't or haven't looked but it felt stocky. There was a couple sketchy steep climbs it had me worrying. Because of the sand in Moab, it may be something you change but I'd try it as is if I were you. Change if you don't feel comfortable and Moab has some steep stuff.

Over this summer I'll take it out a few times to validate my thoughts on what can be changed, i.e. front tire. I'd throw on my 241 just to see but I don't have a drum rim so would have to swap tires on the rims. Still worth a try though.
    Ken, Allanb and ejfranz like this.

I’m thinking go straight to 241 — new AGM battery — and a simple Manrack on there (they're pretty bullet proof, and prevents over loading - and leg jams), although having said that, the bike on its own does a fair imitation

I’m inclined to get the bike straight for Moab rather than find out what fails once we get there — the 241 cost (fitted) is negligible compared to my insurance rating for the trip, the new AGM is simply a case of elimination, and the Manrack solves most of what’s left

As for a new set of wings mirrors, the repairs to the tank, the busted crank case etc — it’s all in the detail — lol

(For the uninitiated — I bought this bike some months earlier, and invited Admiral to “beat the crap out of it” to find its weak points — as I think you’ll agree (judging by the video), he has gone above and beyond in his mission) ……..

Last edited by Purple; 04-23-2018 at 11:26 AM.

- Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links