Found And Rode Some of This Trail (Nov 4, 2012)
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello,

My wife and I did some exploring to find a new trail yesterday. We did not have a lot of time so only ended up taking the bike about an hour down the trail but will definitely go back again. The trail is called Snaggletooth or the Dolores River Canyon Trail. Here is how we got to the trailhead:

DIRECTIONS TO THE DOLORES RIVER CANYON TRAIL (Snaggletooth Trail)

Just south of Dove Creek take a right by the sign that says Dolores River Canyon access on county road J. Take the next left which is county road 9. Take the next right which is county road H. Then take a left on county road 10 and stay left where there is a sign and the road drops down to the canyon. There is a parking lot at the bottom by the river but with a larger vehicle you may prefer to park at the top before dropping down. There is a turn-around to the right just before it starts dropping down steeply. This 30-mile trail connects back U.S. 141 just south of Dove Creek.

It was late in the day but we snapped a few pictures. The river has to be forded 3 times and is at a low point now, but it still looks like a lot of water so I don't know how that would work out on the bike as the fords can be deep according to some. Has anyone done the entire trail and the river crossings?

Dan

Beautiful area. I need to get over there and check it out.

As far as water crossings go, I have gone through up to the axles in water.

I did bog down about halfway through the crossing but I am not sure if that had to do with the water or if it was part of the bike running erratically that day.

Was really worried I wouldn't make, but as soon as I hit the far side the bike cut out and wouldn't start for a couple minutes. It had been doing that on and off most of the day.

If you think the water is too deep, I would probably start by walking the bike through to see just how deep it is. Personally I probably wouldn't go much deeper then the foot pegs, just in case the depth changes suddenly.

Should note, I have only done one large water crossing, so take this all with a grain of salt.
    -Szj

2001 TW

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Those are some nice pics, looks like a great place to ride

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetzombiejesus View Post
    As far as water crossings go, I have gone through up to the axles in water.

I did bog down about halfway through the crossing but I am not sure if that had to do with the water or if it was part of the bike running erratically that day.

Was really worried I wouldn't make, but as soon as I hit the far side the bike cut out and wouldn't start for a couple minutes. It had been doing that on and off most of the day.

If you think the water is too deep, I would probably start by walking the bike through to see just how deep it is. Personally I probably wouldn't go much deeper then the foot pegs, just in case the depth changes suddenly.

Should note, I have only done one large water crossing, so take this all with a grain of salt.

Well, I have not owned my TW long enough to do a lot of water crossings. However on my trials bike I have crossed water where it fell in over the top of the wheels but only for a short distance. The main thing would be to try to keep the air intake above water. But, looking at this video of a Jeep doing the Dolores River crossing caught my attention.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/do...r_crossing.wmv

Of course the water should be much lower now.

Dan

Awesome pics man. That canyon looks amazing

Thanks for the pictures

Looks like a neat area to ride. You're right about watching out for those water crossings. When I first started riding, I thought a mud puddle was about as much of a water crossing as I was gonna do. Then I got better, but still got to be careful. This area your riding in reminds me so much of an area I rode in Oregon. Good Stuff, thanks for sharing

At about 3:15 is where I crossed the Owyhee River in Oregon this past March. Wouldn't even consider crossing here when the spring runoff is in progress. Made me nervous, but I took the shallow(er) part. Which is me being chicken or smart. . . or both!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZjiuAewHqY
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Looks like a neat area to ride. You're right about watching out for those water crossings. When I first started riding, I thought a mud puddle was about as much of a water crossing as I was gonna do. Then I got better, but still got to be careful. This area your riding in reminds me so much of an area I rode in Oregon. Good Stuff, thanks for sharing

At about 3:15 is where I crossed the Owyhee River in Oregon this past March. Wouldn't even consider crossing here when the spring runoff is in progress. Made me nervous, but I took the shallow(er) part. Which is me being chicken or smart. . . or both!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZjiuAewHqY

Nice vid Amiral. When you're by yourself, it's always best to take the smart route.

Great lookin' area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links