First real trail ride....
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Went on my first real trail ride today. Only got about 30 miles in. Went with friends and family. All the rest were on utility quads. I found out first hand that me and sand dont mix. Crossed up the bars in a turn and laid her down. No damage done. My dad hit a stump which threw him into another tree, upending the quad and it rolled over his ankle. Hes ok, but sore. Headed down the other loop and I hit a stump i didnt see and bent my gear lever, stop and straightened it, no harm no foul. A bit latter, more sand and this time i tried as hard as i could but the front wheel was crossed up and i tried with all my might to correct, but nothing doing. Ended up on my side again, but no damage. A bit further up the trail i catch my brother who was stopped. I knew the look on his face. He hit a tree with my quad and snapped the front steering knuckle. I think he hurt himself as well, but he wouldnt admit it. No major injuries, just a bunch of bruises. I knew going in that I would drop my bike several times. This didnt surprise me. My biggest problem was riding into a turn, where the outside burm was kicked up by quads. I could not make my front wheel stick, and i would end up riding over the berm and out through the woods. Im sure i was riding all wrong, but i enjoyed myself, and plan to go back. I really like the bike better than the quads. Now i got to fix the quad. Funny thing is, this happened to my best friend the last time we were on this trail at about the same place. And this was the first time back. One day we might just be able to conquer it!!!!

Any of you guys ever thought of SLOWING DOWN?
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

We probably need to see some pics of the kind of terrain y'all are riding in/on; even if they're cell phone pics. I also think you may need to consider a different front tire for the type terrain you're doing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Stand on the pegs. You'll do better.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Like Tony said.. Stand on the pegs.. Also move your weight to the rear when riding in sand, keep weight off of the front tire.

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

I've just returned from a wk end of soft sand and beach riding. I took up a small air compressor and let 90% of the air out of both of my tires for it. It felt like I was riding on the road when I was on the softest sand on the beach. Try that next time, I doubt you will drop it as many times although I did drop mine when I rolled around at slow speeds. I found that keeping the pace up is quite handy too. Good luck with your quad bike repairs.

hidden stumps?! sounds rough. I ride a lot of rock filled trails, but you can see the rocks!
    2012 TW200, 1993 KLR650, 1992 GSX750F

Quote Originally Posted by jckosnow View Post
    hidden stumps?! sounds rough. I ride a lot of rock filled trails, but you can see the rocks!
    The trail was cut to be 48" max, over time the tress that were left in the wrong spots have taken abuse. The once finally taken out, their stumps were left. The one i hit was just tll enough to catch my gear lever. It was on the outside of a turn, I went to wide, to high, and found it.

Yeah, once i slowed my pace to what i was comfortable with, i did better. Each fall was in a curve with sand. I should have taken pics, but didnt. I will next time, as we had a good time. Even the kids enjoyed themselves. The trails were a combination of hard pack dirt/clay and then areas of washed out sand.

Surprised I am not more sore, than I am this morning. Which brings me to protection...saw some guys on "larger" dirt bike fully dressed out in matching gear. We all had helmets , and wore gloves, and work boots. I will be getting some riding boots, but what else should i invest in?if anything for trail riding protection.?

knee pads! elbow pads ! minimum

( in addition to the big boots )

I got an AXO mesh jacket.. has pads elbow shoulders and a back protector..

very glad I was wearing on occasion!
    2001 TW200 - supertrapp stubby exhaust

1996 CRM 250 - 2 smoker - FMF exhaust

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

Thanks for telling us about yalls ride sounds like yall had fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links