Mexico Baja 500 rally
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hey guys. Myself and a couple of mates have been considering coming over to the U.S from Ozzie land and going via Mexico to do the Baja rally next year. I'm sure there is probably some forums around the interwebs to find this stuff out but people on this forum seem pretty trustworthy and know their stuff. If anyone has any info on entry or experience doing this rally, it would be appreciated. We are thinking of doing it on some good trail bikes that we can pick up there when we get there. Maybe not the Tdub but you never know

cheers guys.

Not likely to be a "budget" option, but there a couple of outfits like this in Baja:

http://www.bajaboundmoto.com/

I'm not aware of anyplace you can merely rent a bike other than an ATV, but they may exist.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

There are a few Baja races/rallies. Score International and Norra

Score Races are hardcore, high budget desert races (as seen in the movie Dust to Glory). 800 horsepower trophy trucks blasting by you, gnarly terrain etc

Dust to Glory Trailer

Norra is a 3 day rally - vintage trucks and bikes, alternative fuel vehicle and a much more friendly event.

Both races have >$1,000 entry fees and you'll have to chase trucks or some type of a pit service. Bajaboundmoto can rent you fully prepared race bikes and offer support but nothing about racing baja is cheap. The Baja 1000 is this week!
    '93 TW200 :: '00 DRZ400E Plated :: '06 WR250F Plated

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think a lot of pleasure, and a bit of notoriety could still be gleaned by simply riding the course some weeks after the race has been completed. Likely the route is still pretty obvious, suspect locals will feel less 'imposed upon' having a couple of bikes pass by at 40mph VS 90mph. You can buy a rig without the issue of being competitive and likely it will still have some resale value as you have not 'trashed' it pretending to be a racer. If your going to spend lots of money flying here, why not enjoy the experience. As stated above, competition at the levels mentioned above are not meant to be a Sunday trail ride. The folks in these events likely are intent on doing their best and have invested more than a couple of dollars in the project. In my opinion, should you guys end up moving in this direction, you will be spending money and be left with the feeling that you were just getting in everybody's way. Buy a couple of 'fun' bikes, do some exploring (where ever) and have a great, and memorable experience. Good luck. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

My advise would be to check it out once, then go home, line up some sponsors and bikes and come back with a buttload of cash and have fun and be safe. You're going to need support trucks, crew, and a parts inventory for fuel stops and repairs, communications equipment, Probably looking at about $10 grand each and hopefully not an airlift to the hospital if you crash @ about $30,000-$40,000 or more. Also need to have protection from Banditos that will try to steal your bikes and gear, and rape and pillage your crew members..... I think Gerry had the best advise
    2009 WR250R

2005 V-Strom

1993 Shadow 1100 with Ural sidecar

2008 H-D Ultra Classic

2009 Zuma 125

2004 Zuma 50

2000 WR400F

Figure $8,000-$12,000 USD per bike in non-bike expenses to run the 500. Entry fees, pits, communications, chase trucks, medical and other forms of support sevices are all available, but there aren't a lot of ways to reduce that number in a modern Baja race.

In case y'all were wondering why Team TW postponed riding this year's 500, now it can be told. The bike itself was the affordable part.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
    I think a lot of pleasure, and a bit of notoriety could still be gleaned by simply riding the course some weeks after the race has been completed. Likely the route is still pretty obvious, suspect locals will feel less 'imposed upon' having a couple of bikes pass by at 40mph VS 90mph. You can buy a rig without the issue of being competitive and likely it will still have some resale value as you have not 'trashed' it pretending to be a racer. If your going to spend lots of money flying here, why not enjoy the experience. As stated above, competition at the levels mentioned above are not meant to be a Sunday trail ride. The folks in these events likely are intent on doing their best and have invested more than a couple of dollars in the project. In my opinion, should you guys end up moving in this direction, you will be spending money and be left with the feeling that you were just getting in everybody's way. Buy a couple of 'fun' bikes, do some exploring (where ever) and have a great, and memorable experience. Good luck. Gerry
    I like this idea. I suspected it would be costly, but I guess with my minimal dirt riding and track experience I should probably go with this idea and have an enjoyable experience without the hassle and worry of sponsors and support trucks etc etc let alone getting cleaned up by a truggie or bitten by a rabid dog while overseas or something like that. I always get over ambitious with my ideas haha thanks for the info anyway folks I really appreciate it. We're looking forward to coming over to the U.S either way

make sure your bikes have large tanks and be careful in mexico. buy mexican insurance if driving in mexico
    2009 WR250R

2005 V-Strom

1993 Shadow 1100 with Ural sidecar

2008 H-D Ultra Classic

2009 Zuma 125

2004 Zuma 50

2000 WR400F

So, still really wondering if "anybody" has used a TW to do the Baja?

I mean hell a VW bug has done it.

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...__1#entry35308

We had to back away from it last season, but it's still tentatively in the works...

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links