San Felipe Road to Metcalf County Park
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joeband

Thread: San Felipe Road to Metcalf County Park

This ride was a couple of weeks ago, but i got a chance to write it up....

San Felipe Road runs at the base of the Diablo Range, mountains created by three main faultlines that parallel the area. The Hayward Fault begins just north of here; the Calaveras runs through them and the gran dame of them all, the San Andreas, is about 15 miles west of here. The place will rock some day!

Quick top off of my tank, gas at $4 something a gallon doesn't hurt as much on the bike.

and zero out the trip odometer, Let's ride!

San Jose is a the 11th largest city in the U.S. with over a million people. Who’d think you can get away from 99.99% of them in 3 miles? 7:30 am on a Sunday doesn’t hurt either.

Rolling oak woodlands are probably my favorite California landscape, or at least one of the most emblematic.

here's a Thomas Crapper photo of a very large coyote.

The area is parcels from a Spanish land grant in the 1700's, and today most all of it is private land, some new housing developments creeping in and giant old ranches, now corporations.

Unfortunately the only areas to ride are the roads. At least the scenery is beautiful.

In addition to modern ranching there is some trace of an agricultural past. Where old machine meets new.

quoting Yogi Berra: When you get to the fork in the road, Take it! I went down the left road first.

Another large ranch and a big black bull.

Last edited by joeband; 09-19-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I was reminded of the Osborne Brandy signs that dot the landscape in Spain.

Despite their widespread plantings, eucalyptus are not native to California. Different species were planted at different times with different motives. One mass wave of plantings were for railroad ties, though the twisted grain and brittle wood proved ill suited for this purpose.

Successive species were introduced for firewood or their fast growing characteristic, with little water or care. They now cover vast areas around old homesteads and coastal areas. They poison the soil surrounding the tree, eliminating habitat for native plants and dependent species.

I thought I'd try to play Aussie for the down under members.

funny driving opposite!

The hills are alive with the sound of TURKEYS...

Another round of name that roadkill!

another clue

(Answer at the end.)
    Last edited by joeband; 09-19-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

The end of the road is this set of gates, cameras and deathly warning signs.

It is a Superfund site, United Technology Corporation (UTC). This is where they tested the rocket motors for the Apollo program in the 60's.

My grandfather helped with the site testing as an engineering inspector. I have a piece of steel rebar as big as my wrist from the concrete walls designed to contain and withhold the engine blasts.

Not much else is visible from the road, and hopefully the millions spent have cleaned up the contamination.

Though right in front of the gate, someone used the dead end for other purposes and left a pair of underwear in the road. YUCK.

Lost Valley indeed!

There are many sections along the way you can barely tell you are in the 19th century, let alone the 21st.

Woo hoo end of the speed zone, now I can really open'er up!

Last edited by joeband; 09-19-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    Fred likes this.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Many areas are overgrazed and the damage is pretty evident.

Metcalf is a county park and a 480-acre area for off road enjoyment. It's not huge, but it's close and the area is pretty.

http://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/Ri...unty-Park.aspx

There's a couple of tracks, including one for little kids (under 80cc) and a few miles of trails.

And there's a great view of the Lick Observatory on Mt. Hamilton.

An easy 30 mile ride great for a Sunday morning, and close enough that I can crank out a few off road laps, and get back before my wife wakes up!

Ride on!

BTW: the roadkill was a coyote... check the pads.
    Last edited by joeband; 09-19-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Hidden Content

It is neat seeing pictures of local things. I think at one time or another I have been down most if not all the roads you show. Funny thing is I see more looking at your pictures instead of only the road ahead while riding.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Very pretty with gorgeous views. Did I mention in your other post how warm it looks! Giggle
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Hi Joe, nice report.

It's been a few years since I have been to Metcalf. Every time I went there I was pulling a trailer with several bikes and so I had to focus on keeping it on the steep, narrow road going to the park. I never noticed the scenery and wildlife that you captured in your pictures.

You are right about the SF bay area, a couple of miles over a couple of hills and you can be in a whole different world.

Thanks for sharing!

Another great ride report! Love the wildlife shots! You're a lot quicker on the draw than me. On a recent trip I saw a big coyote too, but wasn't fast enough to get a shot of him on my camera. It's been awhile since I've seen turkeys in the wild; you got some great shots of them too. I enjoyed the interesting bit of info about the Apollo rocket motor test site as well. I drove by the space shuttle solid rocket booster manufacturing and test site in northern Utah this last summer. Unfortunately I wasn't on the TW, though. Love that kind of stuff! Thanks for taking us along on your ride. Very enjoyable!
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

You guys out there are verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry lucky to have such wonder landscape to ride on...................... My wife and I were out in the bad lands last year on the dubs.......... Lucky-lucky-"LUCKY" (o; OMM.

Sponosred Links