Postponed to 2014- Admiral's Central Idaho Tour Ride
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Edit: 13 May 2013: Due to the Federal Governments Sequestration, this trip has been postponed until summer 2014.

I can also email you the GPS Tracks (gpx) for the separate days. These tracks are filtered by removing a ton of via points. Reason being, my gps can't handle the full gps tracks. I do have the the full ride gps file (unfiltered), but is missing one of the day 3 options. My email is: [email protected].

You can download the tracks from Advrider in there "Laying Down Tracks" thread Here

Edit: 29 December 2012
    ; Well, seems to be enough interest to throw out the date's I've been thinking of. My first choice is [s]July 20-27[/s], second choice [s]July 27 - Aug 3[/s]. I like your bucket list thinking!

Something for y'all to mull over during our winter slow down. Posted this on the TW Thread on Advrider and the TW200 Forumotion, forums as well.

This is an open invitation for anyone (or no one) to join me for all of, or any part of, a ride I'm planning in late July or early August - summer 2013. Thought I would put it out there, just in case someone is interested.

I'm in my early planning stages and have generally mapped out my route with a tentative itinerary. I do have some logistical issues to iron out, but here is my plan (idea). I've included a map for you to follow along with the written part.

This will be a trip of about 700-800 miles (or more) and 7-8 days (or more), with camping and some exploring time scheduled in. This trip will be about 99% Forest Service logging road, maybe some trails on exploring day's, and just a few miles of pavement to connect from one spot to another.

Though you will need to be mostly self-sufficient (extra gas, food, cooking stuff), there's a chance of a support vehicle. My wife wants to go, but doesn't ride a motorcycle. With that said, she may do the trip in our camper w/utility trailer, driving ahead to the days planned camp spot. If this pans out, this may work out as a support vehicle for gas, break downs, ambulance etc).

Day 1: My house (Sandhollow, ID) to No Business Lookout area. About 105 miles. Plan to visit a Fire Lookout/geocaches. (Easy Forest Service Rds)

Day 2: No Business Lookout to Carey Dome/War Eagle Mtn. area. About 80 miles. Gas available when going through McCall. (Easy Forest Service Rds-paved near McCall)

Day 3: Remain in Carey Dome/War Eagle Mtn. area and explore area mines/lookouts/trails and possible side trip down to Salmon River. (Moderate Forest Service Rds, possible steep sections, and unknown difficulty trails).

Area around Carey Dome Lookout War Eagle Mtn

On French Creek rd heading down from Burgdorf to the Salmon River.

Day 4: Carey Dome/California Lake area to Stibnite, ID. About 90 miles. Possible gas available in Yellowpine, ID (short side trip). Plan to visit mines/towns/geocaches and lookouts along the way. (Some dangerous sections (steep curvy grades) of Forest Service Rds between Warren, ID and Big Creek).

Big Creek, ID

Day 5: Remain in Stibnite area and explore old mines/lookouts/geocaches. (Easy to ? rds/trails)

Day 6: Stibnite to Deadwood Reservoir. About 100 miles. Possible gas available in Yellowpine, ID (Easy to moderate Forest Service Rds)

Day 7: Deadwood Res. to ?? Garden Valley/Crouch, ID. About 80 miles. (Easy to Moderate Forest Service Rds. Short section of pavement from Scott Mtn road to GV). Lookouts/geocaches along the way. If time is right, Crouch has an outdoor musical theater which is fun to watch. Gas available in Garden Valley and Crouch.

Day 8: Garden Valley to home. About 80 miles. (Easy to Moderate Forest Service Rds. Intermittent pavement sections near GV and then Emmett, ID to home.

Well, there you go. Something for you all to chew on over the winter!

Here's a map.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

probably not in my cards, but that looks like a great ride!
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Looks fabulous Admiral, thanks for mapping that all out. My riding partner and her boyfriend (he just bought a tw and he lives in Boise) could potentially be in since we are in ID. I was wondering if it may be possible to join the ride at some point since I may not be able to come for the full 7+ days. Anyway, something to think about. Thanks for the very advance notice helps with work scheduling. I finally got a trailer this summer so we could bring all 3 bikes easily.

Mtn girl

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl View Post
    I was wondering if it may be possible to join the ride at some point since I may not be able to come for the full 7+ days.

Mtn girl

Absolutely, joining in and riding 1 to 2 days or even a couple hours of just one day would be great.

And a sneak peak into my future ride planning. Originally, this years ride was gonna be called the Big Loop Ride, with the Bigger Loop Ride the following year. I changed the same cause it sounded stupid. Having said this though, summer of 2014 (as of yet unnamed route), my plan is a loop/tour riding the Magruder Corridor road, most likely west to east, down to Salmon, Challis, through Sun Valley then back west to my home area. Of, course this is about 1 1/2 years away, but this summers ride will be a good test.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

The 2014 sounds great and ties in with my partner and I thinking we should host a ride combining the Sawtooth Valley and Ketchum areas. We did a ride to Pole Creek Summit (Smiley Creek area) and over into the next drainage that was amazing and also up Trail Creek road (Ketchum) over into Copper Basin this summer. Amazing camping spots, views and all levels of riding.

Idaho is too amazing not to share!

This looks like a cool ride. Would love to go... if I've found the right (any?) TW by then! Regarding gas in Yellowpine, it's been several years (2008) since I've been there (via snowmobile), but at the time the gas station was a small tank truck filled with gas. Is this still the case? Very cool area and I told myself I wanted to get back there in the summer sometime.

Matt

Selah, WA

mdmead,

Yellow Pine kind of sketchy on gas no doubt. Late 90's we walked into the bar & grill and bartender called someone who came in town and pumped the gas. . .from pumps back then not a truck.

I would be interested in part of it for sure. I have been from Deadwood up Thunder Mountain around to Warm lake and back to Deadwood Res. about 20 years ago. My buddy and I planned to ride from Darby Mtn West over to around Elk City but we planned it mid June 2012 and ran into weather. I've been up Artilery Dome back in 99 but I heard it since burned up there.

Ogden, Utah
    2007 TW

I've camped and traveled around Warm Lake and Deadwood many times. If you're talking about Thunder Mtn on past Yellow PineStibnite, this is an area I've not been too. I've always wanted to explore the mines/roads/lookouts around Stibnite for many years, which is why I included this area on my trip. I've read on Advrider that there is now some active mining in Stibnite, so I hope there will still be some access. Also in the same Advrider thread, looks like Thunder Mtn access is blocked off due to it being in the Frank Church Wilderness area and requires a 6 mile hike to visit it now. Still, I want to explore.

Artillery Dome is an area I want to visit as well, but we plan on making this a mule ride and not motorcycle. I'm not surpirsed anymore of running into burned area's. So many fires past and present, so I just go.

Magruder Corridor road is the route between Darby, MT and Elk City. Our trip was about 3 years ago. As you found out, generally this road isn't open until mid July, mainly due to snow on the road. Sometimes open in early July during low snow years, but really iffy. We went in late August and didn't have any problems. However, Magruder Corridor road is in my 2014 TW plans!

Hope to see you out on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Artillery Dome is an area I want to visit as well, but we plan on making this a mule ride and not motorcycle. I'm not surpirsed anymore of running into burned area's. So many fires past and present, so I just go.

Magruder Corridor road is the route between Darby, MT and Elk City. Our trip was about 3 years ago. As you found out, generally this road isn't open until mid July, mainly due to snow on the road. Sometimes open in early July during low snow years, but really iffy. We went in late August and didn't have any problems. However, Magruder Corridor road is in my 2014 TW plans!

Hope to see you out on the trail!

I'd like to participate in some of this, hopefully we won't have quite as bad a fire season in 2013! I wanted to do the Magruder this summer, but the fires North of the Salmon had already gotten bad by the beginning of August. I hope there's some of it left!

I spent most of August, September, and half of October trying to figure out where to go to get out of the smoke! (hint: the Coast worked) .
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links