Dual Sport East - West transverse route across Arizona
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Dual Sport East - West transverse route across Arizona

Dual Sport East - West transverse route across Arizona

Hi All,

I am currently planning a motorcycle trip to the tip of Baja, Mexico next year. I was originally planning on buying my friend's KLR650 and traveling mostly on paved roads, including highways. However, I am now thinking about taking my TDUB on a dual sport adventure instead. I am in central New Mexico. So, I can take the NMBDR to the New Mexico/Arizona border. I was hoping someone could help me find a good route across Arizona to get to Baja California. A route with many scenic dirt roads would be preferable. Let me know what you think. Cheers!

Talon

Quote Originally Posted by DR_Newtron View Post
    Hi All,

I am currently planning a motorcycle trip to the tip of Baja, Mexico next year. I was originally planning on buying my friend's KLR650 and traveling mostly on paved roads, including highways. However, I am now thinking about taking my TDUB on a dual sport adventure instead. I am in central New Mexico. So, I can take the NMBDR to the New Mexico/Arizona border. I was hoping someone could help me find a good route across Arizona to get to Baja California. A route with many scenic dirt roads would be preferable. Let me know what you think. Cheers!

Talon
    Contact Rhodetrip, he and his wife have been there a couple times and very recently on their TW's.

Here is a thread and towards the end of the thread is their latest trip into Mexico in the Baja Mexico region I believe.

They have mentioned the border crossing(s) they use and the documentation needed.

Me & Mrs Trip we got a thing going on | Page 37 | Adventure Rider

I should also say Rhodetrip is a member on this forum and have posted some of their trips here but I think the best thread they have is on Advrider.com in the link above.
    Allanb and Ken like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Might as well start out from Socorro passing by your local back road landmarks like the VeryLargeArray.VLA.jpg And why not detour for a splash through Monticello Box Canyon?box canyon.jpg

After that I am no help whatsoever.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply. I live in Socorro and am familiar with those places. I can Jump on the NMBDR just a few miles to the south at HWY 380. I have already driven a small section of it down to Truth or Consequences. From there, the NMBDR goes across the Gila Wilderness almost all the way the the NM/AZ border, about 50 miles south of Springerville. It looks like there there are some dirt road options to get across the state, but I definitely want some advice from locals or someone who has done this. Thanks again!
    Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Contact Rhodetrip, he and his wife have been there a couple times and very recently on their TW's.

Here is a thread and towards the end of the thread is their latest trip into Mexico in the Baja Mexico region I believe.

They have mentioned the border crossing(s) they use and the documentation needed.

Me & Mrs Trip we got a thing going on | Page 37 | Adventure Rider

I should also say Rhodetrip is a member on this forum and have posted some of their trips here but I think the best thread they have is on Advrider.com in the link above.
    Thanks!! I have seen his posts before. I will definitely talk to him.
    Ken likes this.

When are you going? And do you want some company? My wife won’t go but I’ve been wanting to do a trip down there. I was going to see if one of my daughters would go with me.
    Last edited by Tweaker; 05-23-2018 at 12:03 AM.
    Ken, Fred, Allanb and 2 others like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    When are you going? And do you want some company? My wife won’t go but I’ve been wanting to do a trip down there. I was going to see if one of my daughters would go with me.
    We are planning on going next April or May. Nothing is set in stone yet. As I said, I was originally planning on taking a KLR, but now I am thinking about taking the Tdub. I will keep you in the loop if you are interested.

Talon
    Ken, Allanb and Tweaker like this.

Not to horn in here, maybe I need to start a new thread. But I'd be up for something like this this winter, call it Extended Quartszite. To busy now to plan anything, but always good to throw some ideas out there.
    Do you think your wife might go along for support Tweaker? (And the occasional ride.) Might be able to talk mine into something like that.
    If we rode, say, 50- 100 miles a day, (trying to coin a new tw phrase here) at 75% of - Fred/Admiral speeds, and the trucks and campers met us at the end of the day??
    Be fun to ride across southern Az for a week or two. Best weather might be mid oct thru end of feb?
    Last edited by Allanb; 06-01-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    Ken, admiral and Fred like this.

Allanb, a moderate pace on moderate roads with chase vehicles featuring warm women and cold drinks sounds ideal. You might have just invented Adventure-Glamping, TW style.
    Allanb and Tweaker like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Allanb View Post
    Not to horn in here, maybe I need to start a new thread. But I'd be up for something like this this winter, call it Extended Quartszite. To busy now to plan anything, but always good to throw some ideas out there.
    Do you think your wife might go along for support Tweaker? (And the occasional ride.) Might be able to talk mine into something like that.
    If we rode, say, 50- 100 miles a day, (trying to coin a new tw phrase here) at Non-- Fred/Admiral speeds, and the trucks and campers met us at the end of the day??
    Be fun to ride across southern Az for a week or two. Best weather might be mid oct thru end of feb?
    Me and Fred go to slow I know.
    JerseyJeeper, Allanb and Fred like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links