• 1 Post By joeband
  • 2 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 2 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By Fred

Thread: T-Dubing around the San Rafael Reef

T-Dubing around the San Rafael Reef

When our group camp said their good-byes and headed home up I moved a bit east for one more day of fun before heading west back home.
    Here is a quick video of me playing a few places on the eastern end of the Swale including some empty sand washes heading out into the San Rafael Dessert. Camera/computer interface has been goofy so I have lost many good clips but here is but a taste of Black Dragon Canyon and the road to The Squeeze, a series of reef penetrating slot canyons..
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

That doesn't look too hairy....maybe I will ride with you someday. It's a bit too late in the season for the Swell though. Colorado San Juans in July?
    Fred likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I hear the scenery in the San Juans can hurt a fellow's eyes. Don't gaze too long or the boss might catch you day dreamingEmerald-Green.jpg

Mid-summer I'll be closer to home but fall could be tempting. Would like to return to Telluride to ride the TW some time. Previous fall visit just wetted the appetite.Telluride-PS16-copy.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 05-29-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    bananachunks, Mel, Allanb and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

that's glorious!
    Allanb likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Back to Colorado's more arid neighbor Utah....
    Here is another clip from this year's swell time in The Swell. Footage is a taste of some of the scenery and riding to be had north of the Interstate off of Buckhorn Wash's major access road...bit of Eagle Canyon, Salt Wash and ends up following the north shore of the San Rafael River past Mexican Mountain to end of road at Black Box slot canyon.
    I liked the last part, smooth easy cruising with nice 360 degree views and entertaining corners. No traffic but I was confident any other vehicle's dust plumes would give me ample warning.
    This was as far to the NE as we got on the trip except for LUVNOT who's GPS sent her and rent-a-car from the Salt Lake City airport via back-roads. She could have told GPS "No Goat Trails" but probably had more fun meandering south off-road than on the highway. Like us all she likely took home some good memories and a bit of dust. Dust washes away, however memories of friends new and old last.
    Allanb and admiral like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

I like you're intro in the first video. Funny. I like funny.

Black Canyon looked like it would be as fun as the rest of the washes we rode. Can a loop be made from this or is it in kind of a difficult to make a loop ride spot? Not being in the pack I didn't see anyone fall very often. I see a rider went down in the second video. Barely caught a glimpse of it and had to replay to make sure what I saw. Hope the rider was OK.

Thanks for sharing Fred. To bad about your misbehaving computer/camera interface. I don't know you're setup but I usually copy the files from the camera to the computer. Once I see all the files have loaded and work I then delete the files off the SD card on the camera. In the past, my file problems have always been caused by the camera itself corrupting the files somehow or me doing it...somehow. Lots of lost clips in the past for me too!

P.S. Don't delete the files off your camera before backing them up on the computer. On my camera's, if I delete the files they are gone and don't go to a recycle bin like they do if I delete them on from the computer. Personal experience gone bad.
    Fred likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

From the east side one can imagine how early westward bound explorers gave the place name of "Reef" to the upthrust edge of the deformed stratigraphy.
    What seems an impenetrable wall at first glance has numerous slot canyons, some penetrate to behind the reef.
    I explored a bit down this front range to "the Squeeze" and other hiking only canyons then returned to my camp at mouth of BlackDragon to ride through there and re-visit some nice rock art panels.
    Nice contrast to our week of riding "behind the reef", i.e. inside the eroded collapsed anticline remnants some miles to the west.

P.S. Trial Run got to see a lot of this east side of the reef on our dash to the hospital. Hopefully he can remember it, he was still a little groggy but starting to fire on all cylinders by then. Still memorably pretty.
    It also looked impressively beautiful lit by bright moon later that night on way back to camp.

Utah's sandstone does magical things with moonlight.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fred; 05-31-2018 at 07:27 AM.
    Alberta Darrel and admiral like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

So much to explore. I wish I lived closer to southern Utah sometimes.
    Alberta Darrel likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Was going to sweep this poorly made video up off the editing room floor but why not share? Source clips got deleted so no re-edit of me wandering around the San Rafael Desert's meandering sand washes.
    admiral likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Sponosred Links