Americade 2018
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Americade 2018

  1. #1
    Senior Member stagewex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    New Rochelle, New York
    Posts
    1,711

    Americade 2018

    Starts next week, June 4 thru 9. Lake George, NY

    https://americade.com

    I'll be up with friends on Fri, Sat & Sun. If anyone here is attending and wants to hook-up PM me. I'm staying at a house in Great Lake Sacandaga but will head to Lake George at least one of the days.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.

  2. #2
    Junior Member Fzyace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Martville, NY
    Posts
    13
    Be sure to check out Dird Daze, the dirty side of Americade.
    2007 TW200
    2006 BMW R1220GS
    1982 CJ750 Sidecar (Sort of a BMW R71) sold it!

  3. #3
    Senior Member stagewex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    New Rochelle, New York
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Fzyace View Post
    Be sure to check out Dird Daze, the dirty side of Americade.
    Ha, I'm doing one of the DirtDaze rides based on your recommendation.
    Friday will be on street bikes to Old Forge and Saturday I'm doing one of the 3 dirt/trail rides out of the Painted Pony Ranch in Lake Luzerne. Probably the one that bounces back-and forth from New York & Vermont, "The Lake George Lap".
    Funny thing about their website descriptions of rides "most bikes are 600cc and the trails are a challenge though it's no problem to do 2-up riding".
    What? 2-Up riding??? It'll be interesting to see what these rides are going to be. Besides, it's supposed to rain on Saturday so that pretty much fits in with any of-roading I've done so far.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member LuvNot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Posts
    927
    My mom, her boyfriend and I were able to get to Americade this year. For the first time we trailered the bikes up - mostly because I was on my little 300 and didn't feel like getting the snot beat out of me on the 2 day drive up. We got up there super late Sunday night, were disappointed to discover Monday the 4th was a useless set-up day for the merchants. It was raining, but it would have been nice to be able to wander through the merchants tents since we weren't going to ride. Tuesday it was still rainy, so we did our first bit of shopping. I was a little disappointed by the lack of variety. There was some cool stuff, and I was able to pick up a pad for the X300's brick of a seat, so it wasn't a total loss, but for such a large event I was surprised by how standard most merchants were. Wednesday we went on one of the rides - this one up to an artist center for lunch. The ride was ... interesting. The art center was beautiful and the food great, but after eating the 1 1/2 hour trip back could have had at least one stop for a bathroom break. Thursday we went for a little ride and ended up at Dirt Dayz. I was able to get my X300 on the beginner track and it kicked by ass. I really need to get familiar with that bike before taking it off-road. Later that evening we rode down to Albany to eat supper with relatives. Friday was a late start. We picked up last-minute items at the merchants area (Mom got a taller windshield for her Spyder and Dave got a Condor motorcycle stand), then went for a little ride outside Lake George to avoid the growing crowd. Friday night we went to the raffle event and watched the fireworks. Then Saturday we packed up the bikes and came home.

    I don't know that I'll go to another big rally like Americade / Laconia / Myrtle Beach / Daytona again. I really don't enjoy the crowds and associated dangerous traffic that the events bring in. I saw more dangerous riding Thursday and Friday than I'd seen all year as guys tried to outdo each other, beat traffic, ignore local traffic laws, and generally be a PITA on 2 wheels. The bigger the pack, the worse they were. Their style of riding was a perfect example of why bikers get bad names.

    If I head north again, I want to go for pure recreational riding. The area up there is absolutely gorgeous and the back roads are interesting. If anyone gets a chance to ride upstate NY, go. Just bring bug spray!
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

  6. #5
    Senior Member stagewex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    New Rochelle, New York
    Posts
    1,711

    Americade --- "Dirt Daze"

    So, never did make it to the main Americade in Lake George. But that's no big deal because other than riding through Lake George and maybe stopping for lunch it's really too crowded. You could sit there on the side of main street and probably see at least one accident every hour, idiots burning-out of showing off.
    I "say" I'm going to Americade but I really go up to ride with a bunch of friends.

    Anyway, this year time became a factor because work ended up taking one of my 3 days of riding away. I arrived at my friend Bob's in Great Lake Sacandaga (going forward known as GLS) around 4:00am and as planned did an early group ride to Old Forge, NY a few hours later in the morning.

    6 big Harley's, a Yamaha fz9 and Bob and I in my Jeep (top down of course). Bob does not ride but can't leave our host home. Beautiful ride/drive through the rolling hills and scenery of the Adirondack Mountains. Couple hundred miles with a bunch of stops along the way.

    Next day Luis (xt250) and I (TDub) got up at 5:30am and hit the rode by 6:30 to get to the "Dirt Daze" staging area in Lake Luzerne, about 23 miles northeast. Riding along GLS and the altitude you gain as you finally reach it's end is one of those breathtaking rides that affirms why you ride a motorcycle in the first place. So early there were no cars, no other bikes, no people. Just winding flat and smooth roads. Wanted to share that.

    Got to “Dirt Daze” and found my big mistake was not pre-registering. All the guided rides were completely booked. I asked about tagging along behind the Sweep guys but for liability and safety's sake we were told no. There were several self-guided tours and we met a local that said we could join him and his group. Problem was his group had not shown up yet after a night of alcoholic celebrating so he was going back to his campsite to sleep for a few hours, said he’s meet us at 10:00am.

    Apparently a few riders for a tour called “The Oasis” did not show up so Luis and I took their spots. Our group was very large, 22 riders. Apparently all the DD Guides were having trouble downloading the route sheets and only Victoria, our Lead Guide had it on her GPS having done this particular tour 3-4 times this week. So they combined a few groups and we ended up having 5 guides altogether.

    Short video below starting with arrival, highlights from Victoria’s Ride Safety Check-out speech (there was a tragic fatality at last years event), the pavement part of the ride which ironically had us traveling back to GLS, heading off pavement to some great logging and Jeep roads, a ride up a really challenging hill (not everyone did this), visiting an old Indian Cave which I suspect was actually a hiding place for a “still”, lunch at a Ski Slope in Speculator, NY, some more dirt and then a ride back on the other side of GLS.

    It was a great ride, we were in good company lead by Victoria and her team: Jesse, Brian, Gary & Matt. I have been so used to being knocked-around/beaten-up lately by the weather and conditions (GreenRidge Run/West Virginia and Jersey Devil Hunt/NJ Pine Barrens) that this was a very, very enjoyable and easy ride with the exception of “The Hill”.

    We did 200 miles that day and I’d say 40 of them were off-pavement. Just a nice mix of touring, scenery and dirt to satisfy anybody. It’ll be a destination for me next year.

    Enjoy:

    Last edited by stagewex; 06-16-2018 at 08:53 AM.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Fred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turtle Wrangling the Sierras
    Posts
    18,418
    With all those riders bet it was nice to have some soil moisture keeping trail dust managable. Looks like a nice dual sport outing.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

  8. #7
    Senior Member LuvNot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Posts
    927
    Wow, the difference in leadership style between the Dirt Dayz and Americade tours is amazing. I would much rather have been on your ride than the one I did. The Dirt Dayz instructions to ensure you can still see the people behind you seems like common sense, but was 180 degrees opposite from the instructions the Americade leaders gave us! And I'm glad I ignored them because we had a first-year rider hit some gravel and go down behind us. Luckily he was okay except for a broken turn signal, shaky nerves and bruised ego.

    And the info about suicidal wildlife was spot on - I struck a deer with the truck on the way up (thank heavens for Ram's steel bumpers!), and had another deer jump across the road, narrowly missing 3 riders (2 just ahead of me and 1 coming from the opposite direction)! The Adirondacks are beautiful, but definitely wild.

    It's heartbreaking to hear about the fatality! All the more reason the Dirt Dayz instructions make a ton more sense than 'every man for himself' style instructions provided by the Americade crew.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

  9. #8
    Senior Member Rickhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Schoharie County, NY
    Posts
    105
    Thanks for posting that video Stagewex, that looked like a fun ride. I'm thinking that a trip up for this next year just might be happening.
    Interesting that in the part where you stopped for something to eat, everyone seemed to just sit at separate tables. Guess that shows the individual nature of most motorcyclists.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    2009 TW200
    2000 V-Star Classic
    1986 HD Sportster (sold)
    1975 Yamaha DT125 (sold)

  10. #9
    Senior Member stagewex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    New Rochelle, New York
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickhem View Post
    Thanks for posting that video Stagewex, that looked like a fun ride. I'm thinking that a trip up for this next year just might be happening.
    Interesting that in the part where you stopped for something to eat, everyone seemed to just sit at separate tables. Guess that shows the individual nature of most motorcyclists.
    It was a ski lodge/ski chalet that is usually not open during the Summer months so all the tables were kinda individual and separate. They were glad to have the Dirt Daze and also Americade business as there was another tour going thru the area. Two of the guides joined us after our rescue of their sweep guide. As everyone knows anything can happen at anytime on one of these off-road ventures. Doesn't matter how much or little experience you have or think you have for that matter.

    We have exchanged contact information with a lot of others on this ride... folks from as far up as Maine and as south as Georgia. We really lucked-out that we were included on this trip. And Victoria our main guide, she had a website called "get out and ride" (I think) and my buddy has already signed up for one of her very limited group rides. I'll find that site and post it. They mostly keep to CT, NY & Mass.
    Did I mention she rides a "carbie" xt250? She knows bigger is not always better.
    Last edited by stagewex; 06-24-2018 at 05:42 PM.

  11. #10
    Super Moderator JerseyJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NJ Shore / Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,880
    Hey Mike,

    Just caught this thread, nice!

    You're always the guy helping others too, every time a Good Samaritan!

    Cant wait to ride with you and Luis again. I put close to 180 miles in the pines today, rode through all three state forests. Would have been nice to have you all here, Rick included. I was down in Maryland riding Green Ridge when you were at this place or I would have tried to make it. Keep in touch pal

    Scott



    Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    So, never did make it to the main Americade in Lake George. But that's no big deal because other than riding through Lake George and maybe stopping for lunch it's really too crowded. You could sit there on the side of main street and probably see at least one accident every hour, idiots burning-out of showing off.
    I "say" I'm going to Americade but I really go up to ride with a bunch of friends.

    Anyway, this year time became a factor because work ended up taking one of my 3 days of riding away. I arrived at my friend Bob's in Great Lake Sacandaga (going forward known as GLS) around 4:00am and as planned did an early group ride to Old Forge, NY a few hours later in the morning.

    6 big Harley's, a Yamaha fz9 and Bob and I in my Jeep (top down of course). Bob does not ride but can't leave our host home. Beautiful ride/drive through the rolling hills and scenery of the Adirondack Mountains. Couple hundred miles with a bunch of stops along the way.

    Next day Luis (xt250) and I (TDub) got up at 5:30am and hit the rode by 6:30 to get to the "Dirt Daze" staging area in Lake Luzerne, about 23 miles northeast. Riding along GLS and the altitude you gain as you finally reach it's end is one of those breathtaking rides that affirms why you ride a motorcycle in the first place. So early there were no cars, no other bikes, no people. Just winding flat and smooth roads. Wanted to share that.

    Got to “Dirt Daze” and found my big mistake was not pre-registering. All the guided rides were completely booked. I asked about tagging along behind the Sweep guys but for liability and safety's sake we were told no. There were several self-guided tours and we met a local that said we could join him and his group. Problem was his group had not shown up yet after a night of alcoholic celebrating so he was going back to his campsite to sleep for a few hours, said he’s meet us at 10:00am.

    Apparently a few riders for a tour called “The Oasis” did not show up so Luis and I took their spots. Our group was very large, 22 riders. Apparently all the DD Guides were having trouble downloading the route sheets and only Victoria, our Lead Guide had it on her GPS having done this particular tour 3-4 times this week. So they combined a few groups and we ended up having 5 guides altogether.

    Short video below starting with arrival, highlights from Victoria’s Ride Safety Check-out speech (there was a tragic fatality at last years event), the pavement part of the ride which ironically had us traveling back to GLS, heading off pavement to some great logging and Jeep roads, a ride up a really challenging hill (not everyone did this), visiting an old Indian Cave which I suspect was actually a hiding place for a “still”, lunch at a Ski Slope in Speculator, NY, some more dirt and then a ride back on the other side of GLS.

    It was a great ride, we were in good company lead by Victoria and her team: Jesse, Brian, Gary & Matt. I have been so used to being knocked-around/beaten-up lately by the weather and conditions (GreenRidge Run/West Virginia and Jersey Devil Hunt/NJ Pine Barrens) that this was a very, very enjoyable and easy ride with the exception of “The Hill”.

    We did 200 miles that day and I’d say 40 of them were off-pavement. Just a nice mix of touring, scenery and dirt to satisfy anybody. It’ll be a destination for me next year.

    Enjoy:

    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Vrod's 2018 TW
    By Vrod671 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 01-28-2019, 08:30 AM
  2. Quartzsite 2018
    By Kofa in forum Trails, Off-road, and Adventure Riding
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: 01-11-2019, 03:31 PM
  3. Price of 2018 TW
    By Cascade Rider in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 10-30-2018, 09:10 AM
  4. New 2018 TW200
    By mykdee in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-20-2017, 08:25 PM
  5. Americade 2015 (June 1-6)
    By SickPuppy76 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-20-2015, 02:28 PM

Search tags for this page

news

Click on a term to search for related topics.